U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2018, 09:44 AM

4,213 posts, read 2,499,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
The biggest misconception of the Midwest is that its in the middle of the country. It's not, its pretty much backed right up against the northeast. Mideast would be a much more accurate term for the places we're talking about.

This is why I cringe when I hear "Midwest" and people start talking about Ohio.
"Midwest" stems from the first frontiersmen who ventured past the Appalachians. Essentially to the Ohio River Valley. Anything past that was the "West". It was never meant as a literal geographical representation of the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2018, 10:01 AM

5,616 posts, read 3,932,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Really? People are allegedly racist, narrow-minded, backwards types.
Allegedly is the key word.

Old 03-14-2018, 10:08 AM

2,804 posts, read 1,295,354 times
People seem to often get what States are actually in the Midwest wrong. You don't know how many times people have thought my home state of Idaho is in the midwest either because they confuse it with Ohio, Indiana, or Iowa, or because they think the midwest starts after New Jersey and ends in California.

"Ohio, Idaho, whats the difference?" oh, IDK, a couple THOUSAND miles? Totally different climates and topography?

Not that being associated with the midwest is a bad thing, my folks are from there and that is where most of my extended family is: Iowa, Wisconsin, and Indiana.

Old 03-14-2018, 10:18 AM

7,131 posts, read 9,898,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
The biggest misconception of the Midwest is that its in the middle of the country. It's not, its pretty much backed right up against the northeast. Mideast would be a much more accurate term for the places we're talking about.

This is why I cringe when I hear "Midwest" and people start talking about Ohio.
Well maybe not Ohio but what about Iowa or Nebraska? Those states are certainly in the middle of the country. Plus I am sure you are aware of the historical reasons that Ohio, Indiana, Michigan etc. are called Midwest instead of Mideast? They used to be The West, at one time the country ended at the Mississippi River and then at the Rocky Mountains.

Old 03-14-2018, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
People seem to often get what States are actually in the Midwest wrong. You don't know how many times people have thought my home state of Idaho is in the midwest either because they confuse it with Ohio, Indiana, or Iowa, or because they think the midwest starts after New Jersey and ends in California.

"Ohio, Idaho, whats the difference?" oh, IDK, a couple THOUSAND miles? Totally different climates and topography?

Not that being associated with the midwest is a bad thing, my folks are from there and that is where most of my extended family is: Iowa, Wisconsin, and Indiana.
When I tell people I'm originally from Ohio I often get "oh, Iowa?" as a response .

Also, you would be amazed at how many people have no clue where Idaho actually is. Have you ever seen maps where clueless people try to label the states? For some reason, Idaho is usually placed somewhere in the Midwest.

Old 03-14-2018, 10:23 AM

14,411 posts, read 26,227,262 times
Culturally at least, Idaho isn't that far removed.

Old 03-14-2018, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
When I tell people I'm originally from Ohio I often get "oh, Iowa?" as a response .

Also, you would be amazed at how many people have no clue where Idaho actually is. Have you ever seen maps where clueless people try to label the states? For some reason, Idaho is usually placed somewhere in the Midwest.
Its the Potato thing I think maybe? People forget that California is the biggest agriculture state and that stuff grows outside the Midwest lol

I'm genuinely embarrassed to watch people try to label those things, tho it seems that people from "Flyover" country, be that the west or midwest tend to do a better job though.

Old 03-14-2018, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Culturally at least, Idaho isn't that far removed.
A big part of culture of the mountain west is in public land and mountains that you don't have in the Midwest.

I mean yes it has tons of transplants from all over, but the local culture is either PNW, in the pan handle, Mormon in the SE, with alot of "Western" mixed in.

I think midwesterners and westerners are culturally compatible, my folks are from the midwest and we visit extended family and they visit us, but culturally they are not the same.

Old 03-14-2018, 10:35 AM

7,131 posts, read 9,898,127 times
Default Back to the Farm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post

I am no expert on Idaho but to me Idaho is to me a typical Western state. Ranches in one area, mountains in the north and perhaps a bit nicer then the more populated western states.

But the point is what is Idaho really known for? What is the first thing you think of when you hear Idaho? For many Western states the answer might be a great city like Los Angeles or Seattle. Or a famous national park like Yellowstone or the Grand Canyon. But Idaho does not really have that to my knowledge. So what do people think of when they hear the word Idaho?

POTATOS

Idaho even has a state agency that deals with potatos! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idaho_Potato_Commission

Anyway, where are potatos grown? That's right on farms. And what region do many people think of when they think of farms --- LOL you know where this is going ---- the Midwest!

So once again it comes back to the stereotype of the Midwest!

Old 03-14-2018, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
I am no expert on Idaho but to me Idaho is to me a typical Western state. Ranches in one area, mountains in the north and perhaps a bit nicer then the more populated western states.

But the point is what is Idaho really known for? What is the first thing you think of when you hear Idaho? For many Western states the answer might be a great city like Los Angeles or Seattle. Or a famous national park like Yellowstone or the Grand Canyon. But Idaho does not really have that to my knowledge. So what do people think of when they hear the word Idaho?

POTATOS

Idaho even has a state agency that deals with potatos! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idaho_Potato_Commission

Anyway, where are potatos grown? That's right on farms. And what region do many people think of when they think of farms --- LOL you know where this is going ---- the Midwest!

So once again it comes back to the stereotype of the Midwest!
When I think of Idaho I think of Aryan Nation first and Napoleon Dynamite second. (Sorry, Idaho! ) I have been several times and I know the whole Hayden complex has been torn down and all but it's what sticks in my mind. Of course Whitefish, MT seems to be on a mission to take over that reputation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or