Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2018, 02:08 PM

754 posts, read 569,241 times

Advertisements

What cities do you think are the most urban and/or easily navigable without a mass transit rail system(MRT) or light rail system?

Think about:
-Walkability
-Traffic
-Parking
-Street Density(Amount of people walking on the streets)
-Bus Transit
-Airport
-Bike-Friendliness
-Uber/Lyft/Taxi(if you want to include this)

I've visited Charleston, SC for a couple of days, & it's more urban than I thought it would be. Even though the population density is around 1,200/Sq.mi, it felt surprisingly compact, dense & walkable. Plus it had a decent bus service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2018, 02:14 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
Honolulu (doesn't have rail yet) and New Orleans (if you don't count the streetcar system as Light Rail)

Honolulu has a great bus system imo and is very dense. New Olreans is very walk able.

Old 03-14-2018, 02:44 PM

93,197 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASJackson814 View Post
What cities do you think are the most urban and/or easily navigable without a mass transit rail system(MRT) or light rail system?

Think about:
-Walkability
-Traffic
-Parking
-Bus Transit
-Airport
-Bike-Friendliness

I've visited Charleston, SC for a couple of days, & it's more urban than I thought it would be. Even though the population density is around 1,200/Sq.mi, it felt surprisingly compact, dense & walkable. Plus it had a decent bus service.
This likely due to the annexation of unincorporated areas into the city limits. It is 109 square miles with about 135,000 people.

Old 03-14-2018, 03:15 PM

7,034 posts, read 14,474,847 times
Santa Ana, CA

Old 03-14-2018, 04:11 PM

760 posts, read 882,541 times
I have no idea where it ranks with other cities, but I just want to mention Milwaukee.

Smaller city with easy North/South oriented travel. Traffic/parking issues are non existent. Well laid out neighborhoods that are fairly self contained with dense housing, street parking, and amenities. 794 makes it easy to jump from downtown to the south neighborhoods (Bayview mainly) within 5 mins. I grew up there, but I never realized how good I had it until I left and lived in other places.

Old 03-14-2018, 04:32 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASJackson814 View Post

Think about:
-Walkability
-Traffic
-Parking
-Bus Transit
-Airport
-Bike-Friendliness

I think you would have to set some parameter on size

Charleston is very compact and walkable in the DT core but its not very large. But a great walking city and oh so very quaint. Love walking around Charleston, the architecture is fantastic as well

of larger places its tough to say as some have minimal rail like a Pittsburgh or Cinci

Old 03-14-2018, 07:01 PM

16,683 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Savannah, GA.

Old 03-15-2018, 09:18 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,768,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I think you would have to set some parameter on size

Charleston is very compact and walkable in the DT core but its not very large. But a great walking city and oh so very quaint. Love walking around Charleston, the architecture is fantastic as well

of larger places its tough to say as some have minimal rail like a Pittsburgh or Cinci

Pittsburgh has the T -- light rail that goes from the north side, through downtown as a subway, and about 24 miles through the southern neighborhoods and suburbs of the city over two lines. It definitely has a light rail system -- its been there a long time, and its pretty well used. Pittsburgh also has 3 busways with dedicated highways and ROWs, act basically the same as light rail, in other directions through the city and suburbs. So Pittsburgh definitely is not applicable to this thread.

Cincy has a new small streetcar downtown only, with low ridership, mostly weekend as opposed to commuters. it would not be considered a MRT or light rail. Completely different systems. So Cincy would be applicable for this thread, based on the OPs criteria.. I think there are a few other cities with new streetcars also, can't remember offhand (Kansas City?) but they would apply also. also New Orleans as someone above said, but their streetcar system is fairly extensive and well established ridership I think, so maybe the OP can chime in if they think it should apply here.

Last edited by _Buster; 03-15-2018 at 09:43 AM..

Old 03-15-2018, 09:59 AM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Providence RI certainly merits a mention. Overall the city carries a very high Walk Score of 79, with many sections scoring in the high 80s and low to mid 90s.

Old 03-15-2018, 12:20 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
Seattle and Honolulu Move up the Ranks of the Best Cities for Public Transit in 2018

Honolulu only city to make top 10 w/o a rail system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.