U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2018, 08:53 PM

5,286 posts, read 3,505,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Thank you - couldn't rep you again.
Same here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2018, 08:58 PM

23,058 posts, read 35,020,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceter View Post
You wish it was gibberish even though it's not that hard to understand that the more similar the culture is, the more similar the attitude is. What's also not so hard to understand is when you consider that Atlanta has seen more residential isolation between black and white people than any other Southern city with a black population above 100k since 1940, it likely has seen less social exposure between black and white people than those same cities over that same time period.
Gotta go. I've gotta get back to Planet Earth now.

Old 03-29-2018, 09:10 PM

358 posts, read 149,091 times
IMO, these are some contenders: Houston, New Orleans, Nashville, perhaps Austin. I think Kansas City is decent too (unlike STL), at least that is my sense. Minneapolis is so-so IMO (closest large city to me), but towards the better rather than the worse.

Old 03-30-2018, 12:10 AM

292 posts, read 125,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Self-explanatory title. We live in a fairly racist nation (though I do think other nations are worse), on a pretty racially divided planet, but are there any cities in America you've been that have had a high level of harmony between various races and ethnicities? By "harmony" I mean tolerance, inclusion, diversity in venues/hiring/standards of life, unity, basically anything along those lines...

What I don't mean is a city with perfect race relations--it doesn't exist...

Off the top of my head, the two major Carolina cities, Charlotte and Raleigh, are easily two of the most racially harmonious cities I've been around. I'd be interested in people's experiences within those cities or any others!
I think that you should look at a few of your points from a different angle, or lense, as they say.

I don't find the US to be fairly racist at all. And I am a multi-racial, multi-cultural person. Racially divided planet? Guess what? It is the nature of mankind, and all other species on the planet to be attracted to, and feel most comfortable with their own....whatever that means in each situation.

As people get to know each other, become more familiar to each other, understand each other, then inclusion happens naturally.

People will avoid, or exclude those who they dislike, or feel uncomfortable with..This oftentimes has nothing to do with race, creed or culture. More often it is based on values, shared interests and basic personality traits.

This is the way of the world, and understanding this helps.....the only true division that I really see anymore is social-economic levels. Often times, this is based on intelligence and the foundation of the parents regarding the value of education, hard work and due diligence.

Affirmative action has leveled the playing field RE: entrance to preferred university's and other schools. Al though I have dealt with more than my fair share of students who expected easy A's in med school because they were the Minority status of the era.....I mention this because "minority status does change" In the current year...Asian students have the deck stacked against them more than any other ethnic group. It is almost like they are being held back for being so darn smart and successful, Pssst, the Asian family values have ALOT to do with their success.

BTW, I am not Asian, but do admire their values.

I want the crème of the class to rise to the top...and actually, the top is pretty diverse these days. I would hope that you pick your heart surgeon based on his or her skillset....not their race, creed or ethnic group.

I also want the best person for the corporate job as well....oftentimes the best hires will produce a diverse work force anyway...there is not the need for strict quota anymore in most professions, perhaps except STEM professions..where women lagged behind for many years, but the millennial women have evened the score in that field.

I have lived in every city mentioned, most recently Houston, and currently Dallas, and I agree, most people are live and let live.I have friends and acquaintances from many diverse groups.

We met because of work, common interests, etc. If I dislike someone, I just leave them alone. Does not matter one iota what race, ethnic group or religion they are from.

Old 03-30-2018, 09:07 AM

2,112 posts, read 1,305,291 times
Quote:
I don't agree with this. There is plenty of well-documented racial tension in New York City. It wouldn't make my Top anything...
Care to elaborate? I’ve lived here for almost all of my entire life and like many other posters, I strongly disagree with this. I’m really not even sure what you’re referring to assuming you mean recent stuff and not the 1970s when the city had a whole bunch of major issues going on which are obsolete today. Have you spent time here? Are you basing this off of personal experience, anecdotes, or a preconceived notion/idea?

Like many other commenters here, I too come from a multiracial family. These 2 following posts sum up my life expereinces growing up here and currently living here. I have a hunch that these 2 following posters have lived here before or at least spent a considerable amount of time here to be familiar with the city. I get the opposite feeling from OP. Though it’s always possible I may be wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
NYC too diverse to have much tension. It has every race, religion and nationality in your apartment building floor and nobody really cares, everyone does their own thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
None of the places I lived in had any issues per se however NYC was the one place I feel like there is just no time to glance at one's race or make any judgments based on race prior to interacting. So many people from so many backgrounds in all walks of life are represented in such a tight setting. Being on the subway at any time of day will show you what I mean.

Old 03-30-2018, 09:45 AM

4,209 posts, read 2,825,676 times
Series of swastika graffiti found at NYC New School dorm - NY Daily News

https://citylimits.org/2017/01/31/no...r-chinese-nyc/
(And it was the year that I heard most often from other Asians that they were told to “go back to China” on the streets of the deep blue city of New York since I started covering the community in 2002.)

New York City Cafe Accused Of Turning Away Black Trick-Or-Treaters

Recent examples of discriminatory behavior that can be found anywhere and yes, in New York as well, for any inquiring minds...

I'd also like to point out that no one's experience is universal, including mine. So just because "you" or "him" or "her" grew up in New York and haven't encountered racism doesn't mean the same thing is true for "them" across the street...

Last, I never lived in New York or spent significant time there. But I've lived in NY State and heard many stories from natives of The Boroughs, black and white and Latino. I have no reason to accuse multiple, unconnected people of lying, and I have no reason to believe New York is one of the most racially harmonious cities. Maybe I'm wrong, as I haven't been everywhere...

The tension between Latinos and blacks in LA is greatly overstated, while the tension between the same groups in New York is understated, but there are native New Yorkers who have told me that a degree of tension does exist. Nobody blanket statements said tension, but if someone has never experienced or witnessed it, that just means it didn't affect them...

Old 03-30-2018, 10:15 AM

2,112 posts, read 1,305,291 times
Quote:
Series of swastika graffiti found at NYC New School dorm - NY Daily News

https://citylimits.org/2017/01/31/no...r-chinese-nyc/
(And it was the year that I heard most often from other Asians that they were told to “go back to China” on the streets of the deep blue city of New York since I started covering the community in 2002.)

New York City Cafe Accused Of Turning Away Black Trick-Or-Treaters

Recent examples of discriminatory behavior that can be found anywhere and yes, in New York as well, for any inquiring minds...

I'd also like to point out that no one's experience is universal, including mine. So just because "you" or "him" or "her" grew up in New York and haven't encountered racism doesn't mean the same thing is true for "them" across the street...

Last, I never lived in New York or spent significant time there. But I've lived in NY State and heard many stories from natives of The Boroughs, black and white and Latino. I have no reason to accuse multiple, unconnected people of lying, and I have no reason to believe New York is one of the most racially harmonious cities. Maybe I'm wrong, as I haven't been everywhere...

The tension between Latinos and blacks in LA is greatly overstated, while the tension between the same groups in New York is understated, but there are native New Yorkers who have told me that a degree of tension does exist. Nobody blanket statements said tension, but if someone has never experienced or witnessed it, that just means it didn't affect them...
OK. Thank you for elaborating although I don’t necessarily agree completely. The 2016 election brought out a lot of ugliness in America and those types of post-Trump hate crimes unfortunately happened all over America and is not at all unique to NYC. Personal experience definitely do vary greatly for every individual though that is true.

https://www.splcenter.org/hatewatch/...ion-propublica

Old 03-30-2018, 02:13 PM

3,058 posts, read 1,797,496 times
San Jose: a melting pot of all different race of people from all over the world. It even has a distinct neighborhood district for different ethnic people.

Old 03-30-2018, 02:38 PM

10,674 posts, read 8,185,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
What racial tension in NYC? Are you talking about stuff that happened in the 80s and 90s?

If you're gonna bring up police brutality, that happens in every city and it seems like it's been a while since NYC had an incident anyway?
2014 last one in NYC

Old 03-30-2018, 02:39 PM

13,403 posts, read 21,192,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
San Jose: a melting pot of all different race of people from all over the world. It even has a distinct neighborhood district for different ethnic people.
Not saying that isnt the case, but San Jose has a severe lack of anyone with black skin. Since they are the primary source of discrimination along with Muslims, its kind of hard to judge that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.