U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2018, 05:22 PM

5,637 posts, read 6,109,858 times

Advertisements

I am still evolving on this issue as I meet people from everywhere and hear their story.

It is almost a given to hear complaints of racism coming out of Chicago when speaking with Black Americans. My experiences confirm that.

When I lived in Charlotte, I was amazed at what appeared to be racial harmony. Not that there isn't racism there it seems to be more on the low side.

I currently live in St Louis and there is racism here. I don't feel the tension that I felt in Chicago. It is here. Race doesn't impact where I go and what I do and who I do business with. I do choose to live in a a integrated neighborhood. I don't walk around thinking o I live in St Louis the most racist city in the world.

I've noticed a pattern with transplants in every city I've lived in. "I never experienced racism until I moved to xyz city". I call bs. There is racism everywhere. But there again we can experience the same city in different ways and that can make a huge difference.

I don't know if there is a place that is totally free of racism. Some places are more integrated but that doesn't mean there is no racism. Now that I am older, I've come to accept that not everyone is going to like everyone regardless and it has nothing to do with geographic location. People can experience racism anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2018, 05:31 PM

6,016 posts, read 6,384,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Honolulu and San Francisco.
I’m sorry but this is just dead wrong. Honolulu is white and Asian and 1.5% black. SF has pretty much gentrified its black community out of existence and is in the process of booting them out of Oakland. It is one of the top cities black Americans are fleeing, mostly to the South. On the surface things may look hunky dory but on a structural level, there is a lot of racism going on, where certain races are set up to dominate the area to the exclusion of others. That’s simply not the case it truly harmonious cities such as Charlotte.

Old 03-30-2018, 05:59 PM

56,762 posts, read 81,102,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I am still evolving on this issue as I meet people from everywhere and hear their story.

It is almost a given to hear complaints of racism coming out of Chicago when speaking with Black Americans. My experiences confirm that.

When I lived in Charlotte, I was amazed at what appeared to be racial harmony. Not that there isn't racism there it seems to be more on the low side.

I currently live in St Louis and there is racism here. I don't feel the tension that I felt in Chicago. It is here. Race doesn't impact where I go and what I do and who I do business with. I do choose to live in a a integrated neighborhood. I don't walk around thinking o I live in St Louis the most racist city in the world.

I've noticed a pattern with transplants in every city I've lived in. "I never experienced racism until I moved to xyz city". I call bs. There is racism everywhere. But there again we can experience the same city in different ways and that can make a huge difference.

I don't know if there is a place that is totally free of racism. Some places are more integrated but that doesn't mean there is no racism. Now that I am older, I've come to accept that not everyone is going to like everyone regardless and it has nothing to do with geographic location. People can experience racism anywhere.
These articles illustrate or may illustrate what you are referring to in regards to Charlotte: https://mashable.com/2016/09/26/char.../#D7_4gClJXiqa

What poverty looks like in Charlotte | Charlotte Observer

This is pretty common in many cities in various degrees and just manifest themselves in different ways. That is why I’m with you in regards to issues being everywhere, but just happen in various degrees and ways.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 03-30-2018 at 06:54 PM..

Old 03-30-2018, 07:00 PM

5,637 posts, read 6,109,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
These articles illustrate or may illustrate what you are referring to in regards to Charlotte: https://mashable.com/2016/09/26/char.../#D7_4gClJXiqa

What poverty looks like in Charlotte | Charlotte Observer

This is pretty common in many cities in various degrees and just manifest themselves in different ways. That is why Iím with you in regards to issues being everywhere, but just happen in various degrees and ways.
Thanks for sharing.

Old 03-30-2018, 07:19 PM

922 posts, read 1,018,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Pure BS, just like your beyond delusional and totally dishonest first post in this thread that you STILL refuse to address.

I've challenged you five times now. How telling there's been nothing more than the same regurgitated garbage of twisted facts presented in different ways each time. Nothing more, and certainly nothing of substance at all.

You remind me of Trump, repeating the same thing over and over and over again hoping against hope that someone may actually believe you.

Give it up already.
Yeah right lol!!! Meanwhile, Atlanta was more racially segregated than any other Southern city in 1940, and still is more racially segregated than any other Southern city today. You'd know that's truthism not
Trumpism if you weren't so afraid to take a peek a past dissimilarity indexes, or anything else that I've presented because authenticity can't be disputed.

Last edited by Aceter; 03-30-2018 at 08:14 PM..

Old 03-30-2018, 07:28 PM

2,998 posts, read 2,155,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceter View Post
... what prevails in Atlanta is not racial harmony, but peaceful coexistence....
I think that's the way it is in just about every city and town in the United States that is racially mixed. People everywhere just wanna get along, live their lives and take care of their business despite their personal opinions of other races.

Old 03-30-2018, 07:51 PM

36 posts, read 18,270 times
The most racially harmonious cities are on the West coast and East coast. Los Angeles, San Francisco, Portland, Seattle, NYC, Boston, Philadelphia, DC. Races in these cities have been mixing with each other forever, they're liberal hubs and major population centers.

The least racially harmonious cities appear to be in the Midwest and South. Chicago, Milwaukee, Atlanta, Baton Rouge, St Louis, Detroit are all very segregated.

Old 03-30-2018, 07:56 PM

6,016 posts, read 6,384,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jupiter9 View Post
The most racially harmonious cities are on the West coast and East coast. Los Angeles, San Francisco, Portland, Seattle, NYC, Boston, Philadelphia, DC. Races in these cities have been mixing with each other forever, they're liberal hubs and major population centers.

The least racially harmonious cities appear to be in the Midwest and South. Chicago, Milwaukee, Atlanta, Baton Rouge, St Louis, Detroit are all very segregated.
Again, you are woefully oblivious. The West Coast cities have been gentrifying black Americans out of the area for several decades. There’s nothing about that which screams “racially harmonious” to me.

People vilify Chicago for pushing black Americans out but the same EXACT thing is happening in every West Coast city.

Old 03-30-2018, 08:06 PM

183 posts, read 237,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jupiter9 View Post

This is painful

Old 03-30-2018, 08:36 PM

922 posts, read 1,018,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
I think that's the way it is in just about every city and town in the United States that is racially mixed. People everywhere just wanna get along, live their lives and take care of their business despite their personal opinions of other races.

You're right but in some places, people tend to confuse peaceful coexistence with harmonious race relations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.