U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 07:26 AM

1,991 posts, read 872,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Series of swastika graffiti found at NYC New School dorm - NY Daily News

https://citylimits.org/2017/01/31/no...r-chinese-nyc/
(And it was the year that I heard most often from other Asians that they were told to ďgo back to ChinaĒ on the streets of the deep blue city of New York since I started covering the community in 2002.)

New York City Cafe Accused Of Turning Away Black Trick-Or-Treaters

Recent examples of discriminatory behavior that can be found anywhere and yes, in New York as well, for any inquiring minds...

I'd also like to point out that no one's experience is universal, including mine. So just because "you" or "him" or "her" grew up in New York and haven't encountered racism doesn't mean the same thing is true for "them" across the street...

Last, I never lived in New York or spent significant time there. But I've lived in NY State and heard many stories from natives of The Boroughs, black and white and Latino. I have no reason to accuse multiple, unconnected people of lying, and I have no reason to believe New York is one of the most racially harmonious cities. Maybe I'm wrong, as I haven't been everywhere...

The tension between Latinos and blacks in LA is greatly overstated, while the tension between the same groups in New York is understated, but there are native New Yorkers who have told me that a degree of tension does exist. Nobody blanket statements said tension, but if someone has never experienced or witnessed it, that just means it didn't affect them...

Posting isolated stories doesnít prove anything as racial discrimation happens everywhere but in NYC racial harmony is more of a reality now than it was in 70s and 80s where as a black man my dad knew never to venture in Italian areas. These days as a black guy i can comfortable walk around Howard Beach and Italian folks arenít too scared to go to parts of ENY either!

Hispanics and Blacks never had ďtensionsĒ in NYC per say. Blacks and Puerto Ricanís/Dominicans have very high interracial relationships and have also helped eachother create the genre of hip hop.

I canít think of a time in NYC where Hispanic gang members put green lights on killing black folks!

In NYC immigrants who arrive stay in their circle while the harmony is formed by their children!

You should come to NYC and spend more time because what the other posters are saying are a reality m!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2018, 06:51 PM

11,456 posts, read 6,619,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
Posting isolated stories doesnít prove anything as racial discrimation happens everywhere but in NYC racial harmony is more of a reality now than it was in 70s and 80s where as a black man my dad knew never to venture in Italian areas. These days as a black guy i can comfortable walk around Howard Beach and Italian folks arenít too scared to go to parts of ENY either!

Hispanics and Blacks never had ďtensionsĒ in NYC per say. Blacks and Puerto Ricanís/Dominicans have very high interracial relationships and have also helped eachother create the genre of hip hop.

I canít think of a time in NYC where Hispanic gang members put green lights on killing black folks!

In NYC immigrants who arrive stay in their circle while the harmony is formed by their children!

You should come to NYC and spend more time because what the other posters are saying are a reality m!
That's why I don't get why people want the 70s and 80s back, there was a lot more racial tension back then. Even the 90s had the Crown Heights riots, Abner Louima and Amadou Diallo.

And wasn't rap music really just a West Indian/AA creation? I know some Latinos try to take credit for hip hop, but almost all of the early rappers I can think of are black. I know there were a lot of Puerto Ricam b-boys and graffiti artists, though.

Old 04-02-2018, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
That's why I don't get why people want the 70s and 80s back, there was a lot more racial tension back then. Even the 90s had the Crown Heights riots, Abner Louima and Amadou Diallo.

And wasn't rap music really just a West Indian/AA creation? I know some Latinos try to take credit for hip hop, but almost all of the early rappers I can think of are black. I know there were a lot of Puerto Ricam b-boys and graffiti artists, though.
The creators of hip hop were black but I’m pretty sure those hip hop parties were filled with Puerto Rican’s especially given the fact that it was created in The Bronx!

Last edited by BrooklynJo; 04-02-2018 at 07:53 PM..

Old 04-02-2018, 07:43 PM

Quote:
The creators of hip hop were black but Iím pretty sure those hip hop parties were filled with Puerto Ricanís especially given the fact that it was created in Soundview!
I thought hip hop was born in Morris Heights?

Old 04-02-2018, 07:53 PM

Quote:
I thought hip hop was born in Morris Heights?
Oh snap 1520 Sedgwick is in Morris Heights. Yea tbat area has many long time Puerto Ricanís. Thereís no way Puerto Ricanís weíre not at those early hip hop parties.

Old 04-03-2018, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Oh snap 1520 Sedgwick is in Morris Heights. Yea tbat area has many long time Puerto Ricanís. Thereís no way Puerto Ricanís weíre not at those early hip hop parties.
I'm sure there were Puerto Ricans around, I'm just saying that I think it's disingenuous to say "Latinos created rap music".

Old 04-03-2018, 08:24 AM

Quote:
I'm sure there were Puerto Ricans around, I'm just saying that I think it's disingenuous to say "Latinos created rap music".
No1 said Latinos created hip hop music. I said Hispanics (Puerto Ricans to be specific) and blacks help create it. Puerto Ricanís have been involved in hip hop since itís creation! While blacks get all the credit for it, it shouldnít be ignored that Puerto Ricanís were in the spotlight as well!

Old 07-23-2018, 06:19 AM

69 posts, read 117,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Segregated Racist Feeling:

Birmingham
Cincinnati
Indianapolis
Detroit
Memphis
Knoxville

Racially Harmonious:

Nashville
Minneapolis
Phoenix
Houston
Charlotte
Raleigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless in Bham View Post
****Rolls eyes****

Why do I get the feeling that your "segregated list" is just a list of places YOU don't like?

LMAO - She really seems to throw the word "racist" around a lot in her posts. And indeed, her list of cities where the BLMs protested and looted on the streets (and turned deadly) are indeed "racially harmonious".

Old 07-23-2018, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
I don't agree with this. There is plenty of well-documented racial tension in New York City. It wouldn't make my Top anything...

Hampton Roads is definitely not as racially harmonious as people seem to believe military towns are. I agree about DC...

LA gets a bad rap and I'd make an argument it has a worse reputation than NY, but is just as much, if not more, racially and ethnically tolerant and harmonious...
There are well documented racial tensions in practically every city in America wether itís policy related or physical.

NYC is def more harmonious place than it is radical for sure!

Old 07-23-2018, 08:30 AM

Two cities I do not find harmonious are Atlanta and Miami in my opinion.

Miami - too much tensions with Cubans against other Hispanics and Hispanics having tensions with blacks.

Atlanta - Atlanta is harmonious on a street level but in reality the black folks there are ok if the city was 100% black. But Atlanta has a lot of classy and mature people so they won’t do the stupid things you’ll see people doing in Florida.

Last edited by BrooklynJo; 07-23-2018 at 09:13 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.