U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 03:46 PM

7,166 posts, read 5,428,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Self-explanatory title. We live in a fairly racist nation (though I do think other nations are worse), on a pretty racially divided planet, but are there any cities in America you've been that have had a high level of harmony between various races and ethnicities? By "harmony" I mean tolerance, inclusion, diversity in venues/hiring/standards of life, unity, basically anything along those lines...

What I don't mean is a city with perfect race relations--it doesn't exist...

Off the top of my head, the two major Carolina cities, Charlotte and Raleigh, are easily two of the most racially harmonious cities I've been around. I'd be interested in people's experiences within those cities or any others!

I agree with Raleigh and Charlotte. I would add Ann Arbor. It is a diverse mix of cultures due to the universities and medical research centers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2018, 10:40 PM

5,298 posts, read 3,515,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceter View Post
Not too many people would believe that Atlanta has been the most racially harmonious place in the South who are aware that Forsyth County has truly been the most racially unharmonious place in South, because they are neighboring locales whose white residents basically share the same cultural makeup. That commonality is probably why white Atlantans have strangely been reluctant to portray Forsyth County in a negative light all these years.
You have been pushing this twisted, false narrative for years now.

Meanwhile, you have refused to answer my earlier question to compare Parishes that are 60+ miles from Downtown New Orleans as you have done for Counties that distance from Atlanta. Why?

Could it be that you are embarrassed that your most populated suburban Parish is racially lopsided, while our most populous suburban County is incredibly diverse?

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...iana/PST045216

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...rgia/PST045216

You are clearly jealous of Atlanta's racial tolerance, growth and prosperity in comparison. Take away tourism, and New Orleans is basically a failed City. You have gone so far as to use 28 year old population stats of exurban & rural Counties to further your weak agenda.

Just stop. You are making yourself look ridiculous at this point.

Old 03-21-2018, 12:58 PM

4,857 posts, read 2,991,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Nice to hear those posting about Texas.... It didn't feel "racially harmonious" when I was a teen there (Houston area) but that was many years ago. Glad things are progressing.
Grew up in Texas. I had teachers make fun of my ethnicity there, but I guess that can happen anywhere. Hell, even had a gay dude shout a racial slur at me in Texas.

Old 03-21-2018, 03:06 PM

1,673 posts, read 2,360,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceter View Post
Confederate General and Georgia Klan leader John B. Gordon statue sittinģ in downtown Atlanta without much pushback though. And you're not going to tell me that what has been the most segregated city in the South, as well as being the birthplace of the modern Ku Klux Klan, has also been it's most racially harmonious.
Ummm..if we are talking about the pre civil rights period then the most segregated city in the South and the country was Birmingham, that's very well known. Sure every southern city had its issues during that time but Birmingham was a standout in the worse way.

Old 03-21-2018, 05:54 PM

44,922 posts, read 36,220,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Grew up in Texas. I had teachers make fun of my ethnicity there, but I guess that can happen anywhere. Hell, even had a gay dude shout a racial slur at me in Texas.
Interesting. I raised a very multiracial family here in northeast Texas and neither my kids nor I experienced any significant racial junk. I mean, very occasionally something would happen, but coming from a military family and having lived all over the place in many different regions and even countries, I know the random weird racist crap can happen anywhere. But overall, it's been a very minimal issue here in NE Texas in a mid size metro area. I've lived here along with my family (white, black, Asian and Hispanic in our immediate family) for over 20 years.

Old 03-22-2018, 02:32 AM

922 posts, read 1,017,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
You have been pushing this twisted, false narrative for years now.

Meanwhile, you have refused to answer my earlier question to compare Parishes that are 60+ miles from Downtown New Orleans as you have done for Counties that distance from Atlanta. Why?

Could it be that you are embarrassed that your most populated suburban Parish is racially lopsided, while our most populous suburban County is incredibly diverse?

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...iana/PST045216

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...rgia/PST045216

You are clearly jealous of Atlanta's racial tolerance, growth and prosperity in comparison. Take away tourism, and New Orleans is basically a failed City. You have gone so far as to use 28 year old population stats of exurban & rural Counties to further your weak agenda.

Just stop. You are making yourself look ridiculous at this point.
You're in denial and promoting gibberish which has never came out of the mouth nor the pen of a social scientist Meanwhile, according to an Atlanta journalist, what prevails in Atlanta is not racial harmony, but peaceful coexistence. And I'm not alone in noticing that the level of black-white social segregation in Atlanta is extreme. You can say what you want, but unlike Atlanta, segregated nighlife and New Orleans won't be found in the same sentence.

Old 03-22-2018, 05:53 AM

9,948 posts, read 6,890,314 times
I think any boom town of the last quarter century will be more racially tolerant and the most racially intolerant would be slow growing areas or areas that have been loosing population. The reason being is that slow growing areas are frozen in the racial residential patterns of a more racist past, while boom towns are less racially territorial as people of all races move to an area. Aside from that, college towns are generally very racially harmonious as well.

Old 03-22-2018, 07:29 AM
_OT

2,144 posts, read 1,523,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
This is the cradle of the Civil Rights movement, and our politicians had cooler heads than any other major city in the South back then. The most telling example of this is the fact that Birmingham and Atlanta were equals in size and stature in the early 60's. Look at the differences between the two now. This is also the only major city with a large black population that didn't experience riots in the aftermath of MLK's assassination, despite the fact that he was born here and buried here.
What differences? I'd say Birmingham is pretty similar to Atlanta now in terms of racial harmony; Birmingham having a bit larger Hispanic presence, but I'd say it's about the same.

Old 03-22-2018, 08:46 AM

56,674 posts, read 80,973,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I think any boom town of the last quarter century will be more racially tolerant and the most racially intolerant would be slow growing areas or areas that have been loosing population. The reason being is that slow growing areas are frozen in the racial residential patterns of a more racist past, while boom towns are less racially territorial as people of all races move to an area. Aside from that, college towns are generally very racially harmonious as well.
Good points...I agree, in a relative sense, about college towns(or even sections of cities as well). Especially if it is a major university/college town, as they attract people from all over the world in terms of students, faculty and staff.

I will say that in slow growth/stagnant cities, you may have areas where there is a mix of immigrants that create a diverse cultural scene. So, it may depend on where within those cities as well.

Old 03-22-2018, 09:17 AM

5,298 posts, read 3,515,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
What differences? I'd say Birmingham is pretty similar to Atlanta now in terms of racial harmony; Birmingham having a bit larger Hispanic presence, but I'd say it's about the same.
As a resident of Birmingham that lives right next door to Atlanta, if you can't see the glaring differences between the two then I can't help you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.