U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 10:11 PM

5,314 posts, read 3,530,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Yep, I'd say they're on about the same scale when it comes to Hispanic populations - near the bottom nationwide.

Birmingham, AL is 3 percent Hispanic.
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not ok

Atlanta, GA is 5 percent Hispanic.

For some perspective, here are some cities in the US with their percentage of Hispanic population.
Hispanic Population and Origin in Select U.S. Metropolitan Areas, 2014 | Pew Research Center
To be fair Kathryn, the first tow links are for City population only. The third is more telling, and they now estimate the Hispanic population in Metro Atlanta to be between 500,000 to 700,000.

The City of Atlanta unfortunately has lost a lot of Hispanics on the Northeast side due to extreme gentrification in the Lindbergh Center area. They were pushed out to DeKalb County, and are now being pushed out to Gwinnett.

Last edited by Yac; 04-06-2018 at 07:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2018, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceter View Post
You're in denial and promoting gibberish which has never came out of the mouth nor the pen of a social scientist Meanwhile, according to an Atlanta journalist, what prevails in Atlanta is not racial harmony, but peaceful coexistence. And I'm not alone in noticing that the level of black-white social segregation in Atlanta is extreme. You can say what you want, but unlike Atlanta, segregated nighlife and New Orleans won't be found in the same sentence.
You keep moving the goalposts all you want to further your agenda, yet you still refuse to answer my original questions. Now you change them again to 'an Atlanta journalist' and Nola nightlife.

Just give it up, it isn't working.

Old 03-22-2018, 10:38 PM

45,157 posts, read 36,355,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
To be fair Kathryn, the first tow links are for City population only. The third is more telling, and they now estimate the Hispanic population in Metro Atlanta to be between 500,000 to 700,000.

The City of Atlanta unfortunately has lost a lot of Hispanics on the Northeast side due to extreme gentrification in the Lindbergh Center area. They were pushed out to DeKalb County, and are now being pushed out to Gwinnett.
OK. I wasn't aware that we were only discussing metro areas, not just cities proper. But going by that, Atlanta metro area is about 10 percent Hispanic, not 5 percent. I guess coming from Texas, that's just a bit underwhelming.

Not to mention that Birmingham metro area doesn't even register when it comes to Hispanic population.

Old 03-22-2018, 10:57 PM

11,456 posts, read 6,622,850 times
Quote:
OK. I wasn't aware that we were only discussing metro areas, not just cities proper. But going by that, Atlanta metro area is about 10 percent Hispanic, not 5 percent. I guess coming from Texas, that's just a bit underwhelming.

Not to mention that Birmingham metro area doesn't even register when it comes to Hispanic population.
And the core city is always the most important part of a metro anyway

Old 03-22-2018, 11:21 PM

13,620 posts, read 22,074,941 times
Quote:
Yep, I'd say they're on about the same scale when it comes to Hispanic populations - near the bottom nationwide.

For some perspective, here are some cities in the US with their percentage of Hispanic population.
Hispanic Population and Origin in Select U.S. Metropolitan Areas, 2014 | Pew Research Center
Metro Atlanta is over 10% Hispanic. What about Metro Birmingham?

Last edited by Yac; 04-06-2018 at 07:06 AM..

Old 03-22-2018, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
And the core city is always the most important part of a metro anyway
And just like D.C. and Boston, our core city is the most important part of the Metro, but only contains about 10% of the population. It isn't the whole picture in any of them though - so no when it comes to demographics. Immigrants head straight to the suburbs now for instance in all 3, not the core. Most can't afford it.

Nice try, though.

Old 03-23-2018, 12:31 AM

11,456 posts, read 6,622,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
And just like D.C. and Boston, our core city is the most important part of the Metro, but only contains about 10% of the population. It isn't the whole picture in any of them though - so no when it comes to demographics. Immigrants head straight to the suburbs now for instance in all 3, not the core. Most can't afford it.

Nice try, though.
NYC is way more expensive than Atlanta, and still has a very large immigrant population. I can't speak for other city's, but NYC's reputation has pretty much nothing to do with its suburbs.

And while I'm sure Atlanta has been getting more expensive, it looks like there are still a lot of relatively affordable apartments.

Old 03-23-2018, 06:58 AM
_OT

2,147 posts, read 1,529,997 times
Quote:

No they are, I would’ve told you this myself; Atlanta has more Hispanics overall. But that wasn’t my point, I said Birmingham had bit larger Hispanic PRESENCE. There’s more Hispanics in Austin, Texas than Orlando, but Orlando has the larger presence.

Hair Salons, Latino Festivities, Restaurants, Taco Trucks, Clubs/Bars, etc.

It’s not a LARGE number of Hispanics here by the numbers, but the ones that are here, they surely let it be known that they too, live in Birmingham.

Last edited by Yac; 04-06-2018 at 07:05 AM..

Old 03-23-2018, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Metro Atlanta is over 10% Hispanic. What about Metro Birmingham?
It didn't make the list of metro areas with "high" Hispanic populations. I guess you could look it up if you're interested. Personally, I've been to both B'ham and Atlanta many times (and recently) and didn't notice any significant Hispanic population or influence. But like I said, I'm coming from Texas, where Hispanic influence is very pronounced. Interestingly enough, as I've stated before, here in Texas, white non Hispanics make up less than fifty percent of the population. Personally I like the Texas melting pot.

Old 03-23-2018, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
No they are, I would’ve told you this myself; Atlanta has more Hispanics overall. But that wasn’t my point, I said Birmingham had bit larger Hispanic PRESENCE. There’s more Hispanics in Austin, Texas than Orlando, but Orlando has the larger presence.

Hair Salons, Latino Festivities, Restaurants, Taco Trucks, Clubs/Bars, etc.

It’s not a LARGE number of Hispanics here by the numbers, but the ones that are here, they surely let it be known that they too, live in Birmingham.

OK. You apparently live there, so I'll take your word for it, but I certainly never noticed it in my many recent visits to Birmingham. (The large company I worked for has headquarters in B'ham so I was there often on business over the past five or six years.)

I also used to live just outside of Atlanta and still have many friends and connections in that area, so I tend to travel a lot between Texas and Atlanta (and straight through Birmingham) and it's just not a "presence" that is very noticeable to me in either place. To me, it's a lot more of a noticeable "presence" in Arkansas and Louisiana than in Alabama or Georgia in general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.