U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2018, 07:26 AM

5,316 posts, read 3,529,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
NYC is way more expensive than Atlanta, and still has a very large immigrant population. I can't speak for other city's, but NYC's reputation has pretty much nothing to do with its suburbs.

And while I'm sure Atlanta has been getting more expensive, it looks like there are still a lot of relatively affordable apartments.
This isn't NYC. And I'm not sure what reputation has to do with anything being discussed here? NYC is way more expensive than everywhere being discussed, and to use it as a yardstick to measure and compare against Atlanta is ridiculous. If that's all you know, then I can understand why your views would be a bit skewed. And these relatively affordable apartments you speak of may be in bad areas for all you know.

Again, other than NYC, immigrants head straight to the suburbs now pretty much everywhere. And yours have plenty as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2018, 07:31 AM

5,316 posts, read 3,529,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
OK. You apparently live there, so I'll take your word for it, but I certainly never noticed it in my many recent visits to Birmingham. (The large company I worked for has headquarters in B'ham so I was there often on business over the past five or six years.)

I also used to live just outside of Atlanta and still have many friends and connections in that area, so I tend to travel a lot between Texas and Atlanta (and straight through Birmingham) and it's just not a "presence" that is very noticeable to me in either place. To me, it's a lot more of a noticeable "presence" in Arkansas and Louisiana than in Alabama or Georgia in general.
The most noticeable presence by far Kathryn is the Buford Hwy corridor out through North DeKalb and into Gwinnett.

Old 03-23-2018, 03:35 PM
_OT

2,147 posts, read 1,529,166 times
Quote:
OK. You apparently live there, so I'll take your word for it, but I certainly never noticed it in my many recent visits to Birmingham. (The large company I worked for has headquarters in B'ham so I was there often on business over the past five or six years.)

I also used to live just outside of Atlanta and still have many friends and connections in that area, so I tend to travel a lot between Texas and Atlanta (and straight through Birmingham) and it's just not a "presence" that is very noticeable to me in either place. To me, it's a lot more of a noticeable "presence" in Arkansas and Louisiana than in Alabama or Georgia in general.
What areas did you drive through? If you’re driving from Texas to Atlanta you might be driving on I-20 West to East, you might not see any noticeable presences on the Street Level going through those areas, I don’t blame you. I go that same route whenever I’m driving back and forth from here to Fort Worth.

There was a hilarious Judegmental map that was created a few years ago about Birmingham, and jokingly, it was pretty accurate, even had the areas where you’d see the most Hispanic influence.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/e5/4f...1987308a1e.jpg

The next few times you’re in the city, try lunch, the three spots I’d suggest are La Perla Nayarita, Tropicaleo (Puerto Rican Food), and Taco Morro Loco; for Desert/Ice Cream try Lichita’s, or La Sabrosita. Just for kicks, also visit Mi Pueblo Supermarket, it’s better than Trader Joe’s in my opinion. Oh, and on late nights slide through El Sol the Bar, not El Sol the Nightclub, unless you like being around loud Spanish music and 20-Something’s.

And Taco Trucks are like a thing now for late night drunk food here. They’re everywhere...If you get a little tipsy just have someone roll you through Green Springs or Southeast.

Old 03-23-2018, 06:19 PM

11,456 posts, read 6,619,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
This isn't NYC. And I'm not sure what reputation has to do with anything being discussed here? NYC is way more expensive than everywhere being discussed, and to use it as a yardstick to measure and compare against Atlanta is ridiculous. If that's all you know, then I can understand why your views would be a bit skewed. And these relatively affordable apartments you speak of may be in bad areas for all you know.

Again, other than NYC, immigrants head straight to the suburbs now pretty much everywhere. And yours have plenty as well.
It's not just NYC. Houston and Dallas immediately come to mind as city propers that attract a lot of immigrants. I wasn't trying to compare NYC to Atlanta though, I was just pointing out that a city being more expensive than it used to be won't necessarily stop immigration.

Old 03-23-2018, 06:25 PM

14,423 posts, read 26,271,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Off the top of my head, the two major Carolina cities, Charlotte and Raleigh, are easily two of the most racially harmonious cities I've been around. I'd be interested in people's experiences within those cities or any others!
I was in the Raleigh area when the Duke lacrosse story broke and played out. I suppose there must have been some sort of drastic change since then.

My vote is for nowhere. We're not a harmonious society in any measure.

Old 03-23-2018, 08:26 PM

45,136 posts, read 36,338,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
What areas did you drive through? If you’re driving from Texas to Atlanta you might be driving on I-20 West to East, you might not see any noticeable presences on the Street Level going through those areas, I don’t blame you. I go that same route whenever I’m driving back and forth from here to Fort Worth.

There was a hilarious Judegmental map that was created a few years ago about Birmingham, and jokingly, it was pretty accurate, even had the areas where you’d see the most Hispanic influence.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/e5/4f...1987308a1e.jpg

The next few times you’re in the city, try lunch, the three spots I’d suggest are La Perla Nayarita, Tropicaleo (Puerto Rican Food), and Taco Morro Loco; for Desert/Ice Cream try Lichita’s, or La Sabrosita. Just for kicks, also visit Mi Pueblo Supermarket, it’s better than Trader Joe’s in my opinion. Oh, and on late nights slide through El Sol the Bar, not El Sol the Nightclub, unless you like being around loud Spanish music and 20-Something’s.

And Taco Trucks are like a thing now for late night drunk food here. They’re everywhere...If you get a little tipsy just have someone roll you through Green Springs or Southeast.
Thanks, I'll take your word for it but I eat so much fabulous Mexican food when I'm home in Texas that I'm usually in the mood for some other genre when I'm in another state! I also shop regularly at the supermercados around here. Honestly, when you live in a state where Hispanics make up such a large segment of the population, you don't find the culture all that unique - though I certainly do appreciate it and love many, many things about Hispanic culture. I always love coming home to it.

Old 03-23-2018, 11:59 PM

922 posts, read 1,019,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
You keep moving the goalposts all you want to further your agenda, yet you still refuse to answer my original questions. Now you change them again to 'an Atlanta journalist' and Nola nightlife.

Just give it up, it isn't working.
Atlanta's mayors cultivated an image of their city as " too busy to hate ", despite the contentions of numerous scholars.

The white citizenry in the city that was supposedly " too busy to hate " vociferously opposed the civil rights movement, publicly harassing nonviolent protesters and sometimes resorting to acts of violence and terrorism.

Some thirty racist bombings occurred in Atlanta in the two decades after World War ll ---more than in Birmingham over the same period.

Now tell me the number of black homes churches and businesses which were bombed in New Orleans during that same period.

Old 03-24-2018, 01:04 AM

7,834 posts, read 12,351,284 times
I felt Colorado Springs was pretty integrated in terms of people's social networks, friendships, family relationships etc. Maybe it comes from the military presence there since the military is far more integrated than typical civilian life. I also think race relations in New Orleans are pretty good, its a very tolerant city and the controversy over the Confederate statues was created by outside elements stirring up trouble for their own benefit.

West Virginia in general has a very low minority population, but to a greater extent than anywhere else I've seen, these minorities are VERY culturally assimilated and integrated into the mainstream culture there. WV is a very culturally cohesive state regardless of color and I've seen black, Hispanic, and Asian self described hillbillies who support Donald Trump and who are culturally completely American. There are too few minorities in WV to create subcultures like in California. Some of the most Americanized immigrants I've seen anywhere also. Same was true of Eastern Kentucky.

Old 03-24-2018, 02:38 AM

11,456 posts, read 6,619,064 times
Quote:
Thanks, I'll take your word for it but I eat so much fabulous Mexican food when I'm home in Texas that I'm usually in the mood for some other genre when I'm in another state! I also shop regularly at the supermercados around here. Honestly, when you live in a state where Hispanics make up such a large segment of the population, you don't find the culture all that unique - though I certainly do appreciate it and love many, many things about Hispanic culture. I always love coming home to it.
There are a lot of Hispanics where I live too, but personally I don't feel the same way. I feel like the Hispanic culture varies throughout the country, so I'm still interested in seeing what California and Texas are like in that regard.

Old 03-24-2018, 06:19 AM

45,136 posts, read 36,338,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
There are a lot of Hispanics where I live too, but personally I don't feel the same way. I feel like the Hispanic culture varies throughout the country, so I'm still interested in seeing what California and Texas are like in that regard.
Don't get me wrong - I think cultures of all "stripes" vary greatly between regions throughout the country, and I love exploring different regions and cultures and cuisines, but I just don't typically crave Hispanic food when I'm in, say, Memphis, or Birmingham, or Atlanta. Now, NM is a different matter but I digress. But when I'm traveling in a particular region, I tend to gravitate toward foods that are "famous" in that particular region.

For instance, BBQ. I've eaten BBQ in Texas, Tennessee, and Illinois. Each time the style was VERY different, and very good in it's own way. I probably wouldn't seek out a Hispanic market or restaurant in Memphis or St. Louis. That's my perspective anyway.

But I'm glad to see that apparently many major southern cities are becoming more diverse. I know that here in Texas the diversity and racial harmony seems quite positive and striking from my perspective. It's really a melting pot here, especially in the eastern half of the state.

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 03-24-2018 at 06:51 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.