U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2018, 12:14 AM

5,300 posts, read 3,513,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceter View Post
Atlanta has a higher average dissimilarity index (88.1) than any other Southern city inhabited by 100k or more black residents since 1940, while New Orleans has a lower average dissimilarity index (78.7) than any other Southern city inhabited by 100k or more black residents since 1940.

Tell someone that, despite experiencing considerably more black-white residential segregation than New Orleans, Atlanta experienced less black-white social segregation than New Orleans....and they'll laugh at you.

What's pathetic is white Atlantans like you continue to perpetuate the same debunked myth over and over while omitting that Atlanta was the hotbed of Klan hotbeds during the 20th century.
You are what my Grandmother called a 'one note wonder.'

Your hatred of Atlanta and Georgia is duly noted, and has been for years. Perhaps one day you'll come to grips with Louisiana's very deep, dark past.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2018, 12:38 AM

920 posts, read 1,016,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
You are what my Grandmother called a 'one note wonder.'

Your hatred of Atlanta and Georgia is duly noted, and has been for years.
Why would I have hatred for Atlanta when the place has absolutely nothing to do with my life. What I do have a problem with is white Atlantans' spinning phony errony tales who have the nerve to get mad when their gibberish is called for what it is.

Old 03-26-2018, 01:29 AM

5,300 posts, read 3,513,713 times
Quote:
Why would I have hatred for Atlanta when the place has absolutely nothing to do with my life. What I do have a problem with is white Atlantans' spinning phony errony tales who have the nerve to get mad when their gibberish is called for what it is.
That's completely irrational, as was you initial desperate post going so far as to use 28 year old population figures for Counties 60+ miles away from Downtown Atlanta. You have refused to address the equivalent situation in New Orleans. Why?

The Times-Picayune stated that blacks lived under more 'crushing repression' than any other Southern city. It's pretty obvious that you are quite jealous of Atlanta, and refuse to admit that Louisiana is no paragon of progressiveness.

Deal with your own demons before coming after Atlanta.

Old 03-26-2018, 03:21 AM

920 posts, read 1,016,843 times
Quote:
That's completely irrational, as was you initial desperate post going so far as to use 28 year old population figures for Counties 60+ miles away from Downtown Atlanta. You have refused to address the equivalent situation in New Orleans. Why?

The Times-Picayune stated that blacks lived under more 'crushing repression' than any other Southern city. It's pretty obvious that you are quite jealous of Atlanta, and refuse to admit that Louisiana is no paragon of progressiveness.

Deal with your own demons before coming after Atlanta.
The fact that white residents in Atlanta are much more similar in cultural makeup to white residents in the Deep South than white residents in New Orleans traditionally, says you're irrational and in denial that white residents in Atlanta were more reflective of white residents in the Deep South in attitudes toward black residents than white residents in New Orleans. Or maybe you simply lack the ability to connect dots which represent anomalies....or not!!!

Last edited by Aceter; 03-26-2018 at 04:00 AM..

Old 03-26-2018, 05:34 AM

23,112 posts, read 35,061,639 times
Quote:
The fact that white residents in Atlanta are much more similar in cultural makeup to white residents in the Deep South than white residents in New Orleans traditionally, says you're irrational and in denial that white residents in Atlanta were more reflective of white residents in the Deep South in attitudes toward black residents than white residents in New Orleans. Or maybe you simply lack the ability to connect dots which represent anomalies....or not!!!
And how exactly do you quantify such gibberish?

Old 03-26-2018, 06:27 AM

2,141 posts, read 1,432,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Not from my experience of living there. It was the least of the places I've lived in and I've never heard so much talk about race until I moved to Atl. (Alot of times in a negative light) Please elaborate.

Agreed!!!

Old 03-26-2018, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Thank you, aries4118!

There is a comfort level here that simply doesn't exist in most major cities, particularly in regard to black/white relations - and I have been to all of them.

This is the cradle of the Civil Rights movement, and our politicians had cooler heads than any other major city in the South back then. The most telling example of this is the fact that Birmingham and Atlanta were equals in size and stature in the early 60's. Look at the differences between the two now. This is also the only major city with a large black population that didn't experience riots in the aftermath of MLK's assassination, despite the fact that he was born here and buried here.

For the past 20 years, political and business leaders of Metro Atlanta have taken annual trips to other major cities to see what they are doing right and wrong, and what we can learn from them. On a visit to Chicago several years ago, our leadership was told by their equals there that they would love to be able to address racial issues as openly as we do. 'That is considered taboo here' was the oft-repeated quote they brought home.

We are proud of this fact, including all of the ethnicities that make up this beautiful place. This includes this white guy that spent his childhood in the segregated Midwest, and is proud to call Atlanta home.
Sorry I can't agree with you here.. I feel as though Nashville has more racial togetherness than Atlanta does especially in the lines of Interracial relationships. In Atlanta and Georgia, every body is ok as long as you stay in your place but a soon as you date out they look at you like you are crazy or it's a stigma and a huge level of un comfort. I have noticed it in my work place and in plenty of personal situations here in Atlanta and Georgia.. The Blacks and whites alike are backwards thinkers and sideways racist, they just don't publicly say it. That's why I love Nashville so much, I can tell a major difference in Racial harmony up there, people date, mixed families, relationships and people don't look, stair or even act nearly as racist as they do here in the Atlanta area. It seems more the norm up there. Even Chattanooga being smaller seems to be more open than Atlanta on that front in my opinion. Every where I turn around there are interracial couples. True Atlanta has gotten diverse, has interracial couples in some areas. Mainly outside the city toward the Gwinnett area is where diversity lies the most but its certainly not that diverse when it comes to dating or really intermingling races. It's more of a you stay in your zone and I will stay in mine. Don't get me wrong there are Interracial relationships but people still stair like its out to the norm and I don't get that for Atlanta to be a progressive city. Even if you are foreign they tend to sway more the White way in Georgia because they feel it the Right way.. Were not going to talk about Alabama cities because they are Far worse than Georgia! Nashville seems far more progressive than Atlanta on that front. More blacks, whites and different races even tend to hang out together more on the Club and Entertainment scene in Nashville than Atlanta..Every place is going to have its level of racism but I'm just telling you what I have seen as a Black male first hand living in Atlanta for years now and visiting other cities. The sad part is I have a coworker that just left our Atlanta office just as of Friday to move to Phoenix for that very reason. He's a black guy, he said he just couldn't take the backwards hidden racist culture of Atlanta anymore. He's from Seattle moved, lived in Phoenix for like 8 years then move to Atlanta for like 7 years. He said he had to go!

Last edited by oobanks; 03-26-2018 at 07:15 AM..

Old 03-26-2018, 06:49 AM

Nashville, Tenn!! On my top list in the South that is!

Old 03-26-2018, 07:36 AM

Quote:
You're in denial and promoting gibberish which has never came out of the mouth nor the pen of a social scientist Meanwhile, according to an Atlanta journalist, what prevails in Atlanta is not racial harmony, but peaceful coexistence. And I'm not alone in noticing that the level of black-white social segregation in Atlanta is extreme. You can say what you want, but unlike Atlanta, segregated nighlife and New Orleans won't be found in the same sentence.

You hit the nail on with the hammer!!! So is the stigma with interracial relationships.. True it's a variety of people and they do co exist but it's more of you stay in your lane and ill stay in mine. Once you cross over you have a problem in Atlanta and they are looking at you and talking about you like you crazy so no, I will never believe Atlanta is as progressive as they keep saying it is.. People like to sugar coat things on here, delete the truth when it makes a place look bad that's popular but i'm about the truth. I'm a black male that's from here and have lived other places, visited other places and I know the truth and I'm not going to be bias about it.. Atlanta metro is still Dixie in modern times. Its in its soul no matter how many high rises they build here, that's from blacks and whites alike..

Old 03-27-2018, 11:26 AM

I can say this, I don't think Birmingham, AL. is highly Racially Harmonious yet even in the 21st Century,,, at least from the feelings I got when I went there about a month ago... Seem more twilight zoneish to me.. Still feels kinda segregated Seriously, but maybe it's me..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.