Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 01:36 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,469,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Welcome to the SF Bay Area, where we have immigrants from all over the world with that many accents.
NYC is the same way, and even people born in New York have widely varying accents based on age, race, social class, subculture, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2018, 05:45 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,922,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I bet literally every single US state has more than one accent.
Not out West and not in much of the Midwest.

Old 03-20-2018, 05:47 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,885,293 times

Old 03-20-2018, 07:02 AM

1,020 posts, read 909,629 times
I think that it would have to be Virginia. You have a different accent in every region of the state and the accent can vary from town to town. Our different accents are also well documented such as the Tidewater accent and the Tangier Island accent which is said to be very similar to our friends across the pond. We have Appalachian accents in the mountains, Antebellum accents in some smaller towns, Non-regional accents in Northern VA, southern/northern hybrids in Richmond, thick southern accents in the southern portion of the state etc.

Old 03-20-2018, 07:50 AM

2,085 posts, read 2,139,268 times
Texas.

I like Houston, Central Texas & southeast Texas accents the most, West Texas and North Texas accents the least

Old 03-20-2018, 10:28 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Definitely NJ. Within a few miles you hear different accents.

Old 03-20-2018, 10:30 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Haha nobody says "goil" anymore
Lol, yeah. I think the people who talked like that are pretty much dead now.

Old 03-20-2018, 10:43 AM

6,804 posts, read 6,025,708 times
Quote:
Haha nobody says "goil" anymore
Yeah I know. I find it kind of a shame honestly; I think that was a pretty neat way of talking.

But you get my point: people in NYC and on LI might say “Cwoffee” with that very low and elongated o sound. People in Rochester might say “oh my Gahd” with that very high and up-turned o sound.

Very different accents located in the same state.

Old 03-20-2018, 10:51 AM

6,768 posts, read 5,480,671 times
I concur in that I think all states have differing accents.

I grew up in N.Y., upstate, southern tier, central N.Y..
We are considered to "have no accent", though to others I am quite certain we do. No replacing "a"s with "er"s, no distortion of vowels or words.
T
BUT: to those elsewhere, we DO have an accent, I assure you.

Norther country N.Y. the upstate northern territory, speaks differently than us in the southern half, who speak differently from western N.Y., who speak differently from NYC, who speak differently from longg-eyeland, and anywhere else in N.Y.

What we have to remember is several things: one is thst differing peoples from other countries settled in different parts of each state, and their accents in English learned along the way developed differently.
Also each state has differing areas, developing offering accents along their way.

Take a look at our language, English. We do NOT speak the same as UK citizens, and our language CAME FROM them! Also ever territory England "owns" or "owned" came to develop a totally different accent, just like Australia developed differently from the USA, yet both were settled from old England.

Also, the language we speak today us entirely different from 150 years ago, say. A "bit" was a part of a horse griddle or past tense of "to bite". Now it generally means a computer term. "Bite" is now also used as,in a dog bite, but also the spoken word can mean "byte", another computer term. "Computer " wasn't even used in 1776, though "computation" might have been used to refer to a mathematical series or equation.

So yes, having been all over half the USA state's, each state will habe differing accents in different parts, even the smaller states.

Let's not even get into how computers smart phones and "damn autocorrect " has changed our language!!!! And the ever present typo that leads autocorrect to put in something we didn't mean!!!

Old 03-20-2018, 12:00 PM

2,693 posts, read 3,185,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
What states have more than one regional accent?
Basically any state spread across a vast geographic area that contain or border multiple influential cities or regions?

Hell, Illinois has Chicago's accent dominating the top northeast corner, St. Louis dominating the Metro East in Illinois, and, to be overly simplistic, a rural twang in parts of central and northern Illinois and an almost Southern / Southern influenced accent down by Kentucky. This isn't counting any of the regional quirks that places like Peoria, Bloomington/Normal, Urbana/Champaign, Rockford, the Quad Cities, etc, might have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.