U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2018, 05:01 PM

4,872 posts, read 2,997,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
Wow this is why I really want to move to the Denver area. In the DC area, you're seen as a slacker if you leave before 6 pm even if you've been there since 7 am. Which I don't mind working, I work hard but it's over the top sometimes.

I'm still considering a move to the Denver/Aurora area.
I made the move myself. You'll love the COL and the outdoor stuff, but I prefer DC's vibe. It's just the traffic and COL in DC is over the top, imo.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2018, 05:02 PM

14,423 posts, read 26,261,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Lived in DC for a while, been to Atlanta more times than I can count, DC feels more fast paced.

I stayed in downtown Atlanta, it's ok. Was amazed that there were places to park on a Saturday, try doing that in DC.
To someone from Atlanta it does. To someone from NYC, DC's pace might as well be Atlanta's.

Old 03-20-2018, 05:02 PM

4,872 posts, read 2,997,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
To someone from Atlanta it does. To someone from NYC, DC's pace might as well be Atlanta's.
There is no peer to NYC in this country. It is on a tier of its own.

Old 03-20-2018, 05:04 PM

2,517 posts, read 2,279,425 times
Quote:
But noone is comparing NYC to either or both. Specifically between Atlanta and DC, it's pretty obvious.

Old 03-20-2018, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
But noone is comparing NYC to either or both. Specifically between Atlanta and DC, it's pretty obvious.
It follows the matter of perspective, though. We all have what we're familiar and comfortable with.

I know Atlanta is absolutely aggravating to any of my family living out in Pulaski County. They think Macon is "the city."

Old 03-20-2018, 05:15 PM

Quote:
It follows the matter of perspective, though. We all have what we're familiar and comfortable with.

I know Atlanta is absolutely aggravating to any of my family living out in Pulaski County. They think Macon is "the city."
Perspective is ones opinion based on one's limited experiences but there is a real world order. Just because from my perspective Chicago is the coldest place ever doesn't mean that Anchorage doesn't get colder or because from my perspective NC has the best beaches doesn't mean Hawaii doesn't have better.

Old 03-20-2018, 05:16 PM

7,749 posts, read 6,158,630 times
Quote:
I think you're confusing fast paced with what in your opinion is a lively city. What does celebrities and entrepreneurs have to do with the pace of the average persons daily life? In that case DC must be the fastest paced city ever considering it's in the news every freaking day with political celebrities. Just take a ride on Septa vs. Marta after work hours and you'll see a difference.

Also I don't think there are that many more entrepreneurs in Atl over other cities it's size. Do you mean specifically for the Black community?
There's no real clear-cut definition for what fast-paced is. Is it that people walk fast? Drive fast? Can a city not be lively, and not fast paced? Can a city be fast paced, but not lively? Can a city with little foot, and CAR traffic be fast paced? I mean, you can drive faster, but it isn't bustling, which is another aspect used to define fast pace.

Old 03-20-2018, 05:24 PM

100 posts, read 55,173 times
Quote:
True. But from someone's perspective such as mine own--based on spending much time in NYC for many years--Philly, DC and Boston (and especially any city in the South or West) are relatively slow. I have had to make many a run between Boston and NY, or NY to DC many times over the years. Returning to Boston felt like returning to a MUCH smaller and quieter city (which of course it is). When I would get into DC it felt as if the pace had slowed so dramatically. Almost town like in certain areas.

Not saying this to disparage those cities. Matter of fact, I think it's a good thing for a city to be just what it is. Slow, or slower paced takes nothing away from me being able to enjoy what a city has to offer. I can enjoy the museums and places to eat in DC, Philly, Boston (or Atlanta, Charlotte, Dallas, Nashville) without it being fast-paced like NYC.

Last edited by Timothy123; 03-20-2018 at 06:15 PM..

Old 03-20-2018, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Perspective is ones opinion based on one's limited experiences but there is a real world tier. Just because from my perspective Chicago is the coldest place ever doesn't mean that Anchorage doesn't get colder.
It's the same sort of perspective that makes people from California coming onto the Houston/Dallas/Austin forums talking about how low the cost of living is there, as well as in the general US threads asking about "major cities with low COL" - there's no scientific method to opinions and perspectives.

Old 03-20-2018, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy123 View Post
True. But from someone's perspective such as mine own--based on spending much time in NYC for many years--Philly, DC and Boston (and especially any city in the South or West) are relatively slow. I have had to make many a run between Boston and NY, or NY to DC many times over the years. Returning to Boston felt like returning to a MUCH smaller and quieter city (which of course it is). When I would get into DC it felt as if the pace had slowed so dramatically. Almost town like in certain areas.

Not saying this to disparage those cities. Matter of fact, I think it's a good thing for a city to be just what it is. Slow, or slower paced takes nothing away from me being able to enjoy what a city has to offer. I can enjoy the museums and places to eat in DC, Philly or Boston with it being fast-paced like NYC.
I understand. I've lived in NYC, SF, DC, Chicago and Atl and after NYC there is a clear cut slowing of pace. SF, Chicago and DC were similar to me and going from there Atl was an obvious step further down in pace. Neither fast or slow is better but there are obvious differences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or