Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 09:31 PM

8,604 posts, read 14,883,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
Since when was showing up late or leaving early from work part of a cities pace?
Being anal retentive and inflexible about working hours is, to me, rat-racy. I've worked at multiple places in Denver where "core hours" are 9am-3pm. If I come in at 8:30 and go home at 4 nobody gives a damn as long as my work is done. That _never_ happened in Dallas.

Edit: Dallas/DFW also has a very prevalent "Keeping up With the Joneses" subculture. Not exactly laid-back.

Last edited by bluescreen73; 03-19-2018 at 09:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2018, 07:40 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,959,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
Since when was showing up late or leaving early from work part of a cities pace?
See, this is why I don’t engage in discussions about “pace”. It’s such an ill-defined concept. I’ve had easy-going jobs in NY and DC, and high-stress positions in Pittsburgh and Chicago. It’s silly to think cities have a singular work culture. More so, even if there was a local professional culture only people who’ve lived and worked in a city world be able to assess it.

I think street-level activity in business districts influences most people’s perception of pace more than they know.

Old 03-20-2018, 08:02 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,218,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
Phoenix and Houston. Atlanta is fast paced in some parts of the city like Midtown and Downtown but not like major East Coast cities but not as laid back as Western cities.
I always laugh when people from Mississippi and Alabama claimed Atlanta was so "hustle-and-bustle" and would look at me like I was crazy when I mentioned life in DC and how much faster pace it is in comparison to Atlanta. I certainly understand why they see Atlanta as "fast" though. But all the northeasterners would either complain or embrace the slower place of the area.

Old 03-20-2018, 08:17 AM

3,332 posts, read 3,694,203 times
I said this somewhere else but I can always tell the pace of the city/place by whether people walk up or down the escalators. I can't stand places where people either don't move to the right or put any effort in actually "moving".

Old 03-20-2018, 08:59 AM

2,262 posts, read 2,397,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Being anal retentive and inflexible about working hours is, to me, rat-racy. I've worked at multiple places in Denver where "core hours" are 9am-3pm. If I come in at 8:30 and go home at 4 nobody gives a damn as long as my work is done.
Wow this is why I really want to move to the Denver area. In the DC area, you're seen as a slacker if you leave before 6 pm even if you've been there since 7 am. Which I don't mind working, I work hard but it's over the top sometimes.

I'm still considering a move to the Denver/Aurora area.

Old 03-20-2018, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
Wow this is why I really want to move to the Denver area. In the DC area, you're seen as a slacker if you leave before 6 pm even if you've been there since 7 am. Which I don't mind working, I work hard but it's over the top sometimes.

I'm still considering a move to the Denver/Aurora area.
I'm not doubting your situation but I live in DC and work on a flexible schedule. I could be in at 9 or 10 and leave at 3 or 4 and nobody would bat an eye. We even have a culture of letting someone know if they are inquiring where someone is then they should call them on their cell or look on their calendar.

Old 03-20-2018, 09:08 AM

2,262 posts, read 2,397,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
I'm not doubting your situation but I live in DC and work on a flexible schedule. I could be in at 9 or 10 and leave at 3 or 4 and nobody with bat an eye. We even have a culture of letting someone know if they are inquiring where someone is then they should call them on their cell or look on their calendar.
Lol I want to work where you work! I'm sure it's not everywhere in DC and some organizations are better than others but the places I've worked, it looks bad if you leave before 6 pm.

Old 03-20-2018, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
Lol I want to work where you work! I'm sure it's not everywhere in DC and some organizations are better than others but the places I've worked, it looks bad if you leave before 6 pm.
Yeah, I suppose I feel fortunate but my company in SF was pretty much the same. I'm not a Fed so perhaps that has something to do with it. I'm in the private sector and this is probably also industry specific.

I hope you find something soon, I would hate that old school work mentality where nobody can mind their own business and work and you're basically just clocking in and out to appear a certain way.

Old 03-20-2018, 11:26 AM

1,299 posts, read 1,276,819 times
Detroit or Houston

Old 03-20-2018, 01:15 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,770,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntoolate85 View Post
How fast people move from point A to point B, the speed of the accents, the amount of events offered at any one time, the absolute density (urban, traffic, and pedestrian), the evolution of trends. Also, the climate has a small factor as hotter climates tend to have people moving slower compared to the cold that forces you to move along more quickly.

I'd imagine Phoenix and Dallas are also relatively laid back among major cities even though I've never been there.
A major factor for me is amount of noise from the streets, construction, sirens, etc. Noise adds to stresss and makes the pace seem faster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.