U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2018, 05:22 PM

10,779 posts, read 9,411,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
The South has much more cultural variety (accents, food, etc.) than does the West. The "hillbilly" Appalachian mountains and river gorges of East Tennessee is a very different creature, scenery and weather-wise, than the Gulf Coast plains, piney woods, bayous, humidity and sprawl of Houston. Accents, too, are very different. New Orleans is very different from Charleston and even Houston (despite Houston and NOLA being no further from each other than SF and LA).

On the other hand, I could travel from Orange County to Sacramento, and the weather and vegetation is essentially the same. Just cold rainy winters and brutally hot and dry summers. Sacramento winters not even any colder than winters in Rancho Santa Margarita; in fact, Rancho gets snow more than Sacramento. Vegetation? Same old, same old chaparral. Rocky Mountains vs. Sierra Nevadas? Same old, same old pinons and pondeBullBoxer31 and lodgepoles. But Houston vs. Austin? World of difference--Mesquite trees and prickly pear vs. longleaf pine and Spanish moss. Chattanooga? Maple trees and oaks, not too many conifers.

The West is alot more monotonous. Sure, you've got some places with cold winters and skiing and some places with desert and some sunny beaches, but in the end, there ain't much of a difference between SF and LA, culturally and weather-wise. The food is all the same, the accents are the same, the architecture is the same--still Spanish Colonial architecture and that Tuscan imitation style in sprawly suburbs. And there's really no cuisine that is unique to California, or the West for that matter, other than some hipster snack like Avocado Toast which has no character or variation compared to the South: gumbo, red beans and rice, oysters rockefeller in New Orleans, grits and shrimp in Savannah, and don't even get me started on how every state has their own version of BBQ.
Wow, I don't know what to say. I'm from the South but I can't claim you. The West has the most varied topography, far different than the South. All of the South is basically humid subtropical. The only desert is in West Texas.

Now the West is unique. There is no part of the US that is similar to Napa and Sonoma Valley. Yosemite has no equivalent. Yellowstone has no equivalent. Sequoia NP has no equivalent. Redwood NP has no equivalent. There are no trees link the Pinion Pines and they are in a small zone. The coast has eucalyptus. And no sequoias are as different to redwoods as cedars are to loblolly pines.

Dim sum in Chinatown is a unique food experience equal to nowhere else in the US. Sour dough bread bowls is a rich culinary tradition. Ghiradelli chocolate anyone?
Santa Fe has some of the best Mexican I've ever tasted. Denver has its breweries. Seattle has its oyster houses. Southern California has its fish tacos and Cali Mex. LA has every cuisine under the sun. California even has the delta which resembles the delta in Louisiana. Yes even a swamp.

Listen I love the South and all but you are truly under appreciating the West.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2018, 06:03 PM

2,165 posts, read 4,738,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
California is enormous and has counties where many people have no front teeth, to counties who are rich enough to spend thousands on plastic surgery, to counties who love Trump, to counties who hate him, counties with snow, counties with beaches and a population who have never seen snow in their entire lives.

So, when anyone says some place is just like California, that pretty much encompasses the entire country.

The perception of CA from outside the state is generally very ignorant of this entire state. The whole state is not Hollywood and the entire state didn't vote for Hillary.

So any generalizations are just ignorant regarding any "typical" Californian anything.
This 100%. It's amazing how many non-Californians don't realize this. I'm a native Californian and have no idea what the "typical" Californian is. It's definitely not the stereotypical Californian that is often portrayed on T.V. It's hard enough to get 10 people together in one room who are exactly the same. I'm not sure how 40 million of us (more people than the entire country of Canada) get lumped together all the time...not to mention CA's immense diversity of climates, topography etc.

Old 03-27-2018, 11:48 PM

626 posts, read 574,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
California is enormous and has counties where many people have no front teeth, to counties who are rich enough to spend thousands on plastic surgery, to counties who love Trump, to counties who hate him, counties with snow, counties with beaches and a population who have never seen snow in their entire lives.

So, when anyone says some place is just like California, that pretty much encompasses the entire country.

The perception of CA from outside the state is generally very ignorant of this entire state. The whole state is not Hollywood and the entire state didn't vote for Hillary.

So any generalizations are just ignorant regarding any "typical" Californian anything.
Could say this about any state though. Every state has variety.

Old 03-28-2018, 10:11 AM

2,165 posts, read 4,738,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.J240 View Post
Could say this about any state though. Every state has variety.
I won't dispute that other states have variety. Honestly though, I'd say most states don't have anywhere near the diversity of climates and topography that CA has, even when you don't take the people into consideration. I think many non-Californians don't realize the extent of just how different some parts of the state are from each other...sometimes even comparing locations that aren't even far away from each other.

These two locations in the Bay Area where I live are just two very tiny examples:

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.3157...7i13312!8i6656

...and literally about 20 minutes away from the above San Jose location:

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.1529...7i13312!8i6656

Last edited by mstnghu2; 03-28-2018 at 10:20 AM..

Old 03-28-2018, 12:09 PM

1,991 posts, read 864,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Wow, I don't know what to say. I'm from the South but I can't claim you. The West has the most varied topography, far different than the South. All of the South is basically humid subtropical. The only desert is in West Texas.

Now the West is unique. There is no part of the US that is similar to Napa and Sonoma Valley. Yosemite has no equivalent. Yellowstone has no equivalent. Sequoia NP has no equivalent. Redwood NP has no equivalent. There are no trees link the Pinion Pines and they are in a small zone. The coast has eucalyptus. And no sequoias are as different to redwoods as cedars are to loblolly pines.

Dim sum in Chinatown is a unique food experience equal to nowhere else in the US. Sour dough bread bowls is a rich culinary tradition. Ghiradelli chocolate anyone?
Santa Fe has some of the best Mexican I've ever tasted. Denver has its breweries. Seattle has its oyster houses. Southern California has its fish tacos and Cali Mex. LA has every cuisine under the sun. California even has the delta which resembles the delta in Louisiana. Yes even a swamp.

Listen I love the South and all but you are truly under appreciating the West.
Dim Sum? NYC can compare!

Old 03-28-2018, 06:43 PM
_OT

2,143 posts, read 1,518,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstnghu2 View Post
I won't dispute that other states have variety. Honestly though, I'd say most states don't have anywhere near the diversity of climates and topography that CA has, even when you don't take the people into consideration. I think many non-Californians don't realize the extent of just how different some parts of the state are from each other...sometimes even comparing locations that aren't even far away from each other.
I think it's the opposite, I don't think Californians are aware of the amount of states that also have Mountains AND Beaches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
And yet the West still lags behind in terms of Food and Cuisines when compared to the South. West Indian Food (Hatian & Jamaican), Soul Food, BBQ (Texas, Bama, Carolinas, etc.), Mexican Food, TexMex, Cuban, Puerto Rican, The Gulf Seafood, Fast Food, etc.

Old 03-28-2018, 07:15 PM

13,420 posts, read 16,950,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Well, fine, maybe not Hawaii, or the subpolar areas of Alaska. But my point is, California contains all the climate types, accents, food, etc. you'll find in the (mainland) American West.

Eureka has the Marine West Coast, temperate rainforests of Puget Sound. Lassen Volcanic National Park is a mini-Yellowstone, with its many geothermal features. Tahoe rivals Oregon's Crater Lake. Ski resorts in Tahoe and Mammoth are on the scale (size-wise, and snowfall wise) as any resorts in Colorado.

We have the Mojave desert of Vegas, the Sonoran Desert of Arizona, and the rugged Great Basin of Nevada, Utah, and Idaho. We have the 14,000 mountains that rival anything in the rockies. The Bay Area's tech industry and urban hipsterness is the inspiration behind every other liberal bastion in the West from Seattle to Denver.

The entire Western US from SF to Denver and even El Paso speaks with the same American accent, with very little variation (compared to the many dialects of the South or Northeast).

To sum it up, going to other Western states basically felt like California. Seattle? Basically San Francisco with the cold gloominess of Eureka, California. Salt Lake City? Exactly the same as San Bernardino, what with the semi-arid climate, adjacent desert, and mountains, only difference being SLC was more conservative and winters were colder. Idaho Falls? Again, a colder, more conservative (i.e. Mormon) version of Visalia or Tulare. Flat, barren, with hot, bone dry summers, and "close" to the mountains (i.e. 2 hours to Sequoia from Tulare, 2 hours to Grand Tetons for Idaho Falls.) The Snake River Valley really seemed like a colder version of the Central Valley.
Gawd ... just when you think you’ve heard every single ridiculous thing from people in California.

Old 03-28-2018, 07:17 PM

Location: Born in L.A. - NYC is Second Home - Rustbelt is Home Base
1,608 posts, read 740,575 times
CA is in its own class. But you might as well say you are correct OP.

Old 03-29-2018, 02:58 PM

626 posts, read 574,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstnghu2 View Post

These two locations in the Bay Area where I live are just two very tiny examples:

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.3157...7i13312!8i6656

...and literally about 20 minutes away from the above San Jose location:

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.1529...7i13312!8i6656
Yeah it's a super diverse state one of its assets. I just got the distinct impression that the guy I responded to was one of those people who go on about how you can't generalise his state yet thinks somewhere like Texas is just convsestives or has no variety in landscape.

Old 03-29-2018, 03:42 PM

2,452 posts, read 1,277,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Gawd ... just when you think you’ve heard every single ridiculous thing from people in California.
How is it ridiculous? Those were some valid points he brought up concerning California compared to the rest of the West. California basically has all the broader Western regional types found within its state: PNW at the northwest, Intermountain at the north/northeast, and desert southwest at its southeastern portions.

The coastal area from SF south is the only portion of the state where the general vibe can't be matched completely by any other Western state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or