U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 02:59 PM

36 posts, read 18,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
In my personal experience I've run into a lot more bat**** insane in your face conservatives out west than in the Midwest I can tell you that much. And I certainly didn't go looking for them.

The only cases of extreme in your face conservatism I've personally experienced out West came from certain racist and militia groups up in places like Idaho and Montana, and they certainly don't represent the West or it's live and let live mentality. These people are fringe groups, and they're not natives to the West. They often come from the Midwest. Look up Idaho politician Heather Scott and how she defended White Nationalists at Charlottesville, she's originally from Ohio
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2018, 03:06 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,150,628 times
Most of the handful of people who belong to the militia groups in the NW(including Washington and Oregon) are from California. I don't think I would classify them as conservative because they are generally anti government. But they are much more mellow compared to the gangs in cities like Chicago.

Old 04-26-2018, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
Your so called personal experience involves meeting a few dozen people in Montana or Wyoming? The West is a huge area of the USA, it is silly to label nearly half of the country based on your assumptions.

It's really funny actually, the Midwest was key to Trump's victory in 2016, it's a pro Trump region. Whereas in the West, they voted against Trump, as can be seen here

And yet, the West is "conservative extremist" lol

Old 04-27-2018, 09:16 AM

15,504 posts, read 17,735,931 times
That blue blob occupying the interior West is basically a Mormon heat map. So what that map shows me is that Trump had smaller margins in the West in 2016, particularly among Mormons, than Romney did four years earlier.

That disparity stems from voter apathy among Mormons who couldn't bring themselves to vote for a sleazeball of such an epic scale. I assure you Utah is not the center of Clinton country just because they did not like Trump as much as Romney who, lo and behold, was also a Mormon.

I do agree that the West, in general, is not a hotbed of conservatism, though. But apart from the coast and certain cities in the Mountain West, it sure isn't liberal either.

Old 04-27-2018, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
That blue blob occupying the interior West is basically a Mormon heat map.

Not true, look at the map more closely. Arizona and Wyoming are both a part of the blue blob and they are not Mormon to my knowledge.

Old 04-27-2018, 11:12 PM

4,403 posts, read 4,608,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jupiter9 View Post
Not true, look at the map more closely. Arizona and Wyoming are both a part of the blue blob and they are not Mormon to my knowledge.
Arizona is one of the top Mormon states by %...probably top 5, definitely top 10.

Old 04-27-2018, 11:23 PM

1,773 posts, read 1,770,549 times
There's less racism in the west because there's less racial diversity.

Outside of California and a couple of isolated parts of large interior cities (Phoenix, Salt Lake, Denver) most places in the west are like 95% white and the non-white people are basically culturally white people with more melanin in their skin. On top of this, the minority communities in the west tend to assimilate better. You have mostly Hispanic and Asian minorities, and very few African American minorities. Even Los Angeles County is something like 9% African American/Black. Most Hispanic and Asian minorities I've met tend to assimilate better into the greater culture than Black minorities that I've met who tend. There's blame both ways and literally centuries of issues behind this, I recognize that, but objectively - Black communities tend to blend less than other minorities.

Having lived in the West for most of my life and the Midwest for the past 3 years, I can assure you the racism is similar strength in both regions, it just plays out differently in the Midwest where you have large, isolated and segregated, pockets of Black minority segregated from the greater population vs. the West where you have Hispanic and Asian minorities that tend to have migrant communities in the larger cities, but the 2nd generation often chooses to blend and live among the larger community, just as they do in the Midwest - but in smaller numbers.

Also, that map is misleading - I wouldn't say the west voted against Trump, more that the interior West (largely Mormon) voted disproportionately for Romney.

Old 04-28-2018, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post
There's less racism in the west because there's less racial diversity.

Umm what are you talking about? The West is the most racially diverse/mixed and multicultural region in the entire country. There's less racism in the West because the majority of people who live there are more tolerant and accepting.

Old 04-28-2018, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post
Also, that map is misleading - I wouldn't say the west voted against Trump, more that the interior West (largely Mormon) voted disproportionately for Romney.

Trump's support is concentrated in the Midwest, South, and the Northeast rust belt. Out West, Trump is not well received, the style of conservatism there is "live and let live" compared to the more racial and extreme conservatism in the South or Midwest which is more in line with Trump.

Read this article
https://www.seattletimes.com/opinion...our-democracy/

In the five states abutting the Pacific Ocean — Alaska, California, Hawaii, Oregon and Washington — Clinton clobbered Trump by more than 5.1 million votes and beat him by a massive electoral margin of 78 to 3. Including the Mountain States in the mix, she still won by more than 4.6 million votes and by 98 to 30 electoral votes. No matter how you count, this president (who lost nationally by 3 million popular votes) finished a distant second on our side of the Rockies.

Old 04-28-2018, 09:17 PM

7,735 posts, read 9,027,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jupiter9 View Post
I don't know about Arizona but the western and especially the southwestern part of Wyoming are very Mormon. You're pretty close to Utah there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or