U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 08:46 AM

15,504 posts, read 17,716,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jupiter9 View Post
Not true, look at the map more closely. Arizona and Wyoming are both a part of the blue blob and they are not Mormon to my knowledge.
The Mormon Belt

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2018, 11:01 PM

5,835 posts, read 10,778,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post
There's less racism in the west because there's less racial diversity.

Outside of California and a couple of isolated parts of large interior cities (Phoenix, Salt Lake, Denver) most places in the west are like 95% white and the non-white people are basically culturally white people with more melanin in their skin. On top of this, the minority communities in the west tend to assimilate better. You have mostly Hispanic and Asian minorities, and very few African American minorities. Even Los Angeles County is something like 9% African American/Black. Most Hispanic and Asian minorities I've met tend to assimilate better into the greater culture than Black minorities that I've met who tend. There's blame both ways and literally centuries of issues behind this, I recognize that, but objectively - Black communities tend to blend less than other minorities.

Having lived in the West for most of my life and the Midwest for the past 3 years, I can assure you the racism is similar strength in both regions, it just plays out differently in the Midwest where you have large, isolated and segregated, pockets of Black minority segregated from the greater population vs. the West where you have Hispanic and Asian minorities that tend to have migrant communities in the larger cities, but the 2nd generation often chooses to blend and live among the larger community, just as they do in the Midwest - but in smaller numbers.

Also, that map is misleading - I wouldn't say the west voted against Trump, more that the interior West (largely Mormon) voted disproportionately for Romney.
I basically agree with this.

I have been living in LA county for the past six years and before that lived in the Chicago suburbs.

And Chicagoland is clearly more segregated than greater LA/SoCal, though I wouldn't say that attitudes are that different.

Like you said, LA county (and city is not too far off) is like 9-11% Black/African American, and at that % it is hard to have many large swath of zip codes that are overwhelmingly Black/AA and cutoff from the rest of the culture, like you have in Chicago. The population is more mixed at that small %.

In LA you obviously have huge areas of recent low income hispanic/latino ethnic enclaves (East LA and others) but with LA county being over 40% hispanic/latino, many which are 2nd and 3rd generation and have moved up the socioeconomic ladder, you have huge numbers of Hispanic-Americans that have followed a path similar to Irish/Polish/Italian-Americans. (Going from urban ethnic enclaves to middle class suburban areas). You have many hispanic/latino people in SoCal that are a little resentful of undocumented immigrants who didn't come the legal way that their families did.

Compare that to Chicago, which also has a large hispanic population, but where the recent immigrant population is a much higher % of the total hispanic population, so you have places that are counterpart to East LA, etc. in Pilsen/Little Village/Cicero, but you don't have the many middle class suburban areas with home-owning hispanic/latino communities like you do in California.

Consequently you have way more areas of SoCal where you have people off all different backgrounds are relatively similar levels of socioeconomic achievement than Chicagoland.

Old 05-01-2018, 11:47 PM

6,542 posts, read 3,650,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post
There's less racism in the west because there's less racial diversity.

Outside of California and a couple of isolated parts of large interior cities (Phoenix, Salt Lake, Denver) most places in the west are like 95% white and the non-white people are basically culturally white people with more melanin in their skin. On top of this, the minority communities in the west tend to assimilate better.
It's not really the case in much of the southwest that there is 95% white. You would have to ignore much of the Hispanic population and the Indian population (many residing on reservations) and a variety of others. I do agree that there might be less racism but not due to a lack of diversity.

Old 05-03-2018, 03:41 PM

1,504 posts, read 521,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jupiter9 View Post
Trump's support is concentrated in the Midwest, South, and the Northeast rust belt. Out West, Trump is not well received, the style of conservatism there is "live and let live" compared to the more racial and extreme conservatism in the South or Midwest which is more in line with Trump.

Read this article
https://www.seattletimes.com/opinion...our-democracy/

In the five states abutting the Pacific Ocean Alaska, California, Hawaii, Oregon and Washington Clinton clobbered Trump by more than 5.1 million votes and beat him by a massive electoral margin of 78 to 3. Including the Mountain States in the mix, she still won by more than 4.6 million votes and by 98 to 30 electoral votes. No matter how you count, this president (who lost nationally by 3 million popular votes) finished a distant second on our side of the Rockies.
I suppose, but Trump still won solidly in Utah, even after the conservative vote was split with Evan McMullin. And Idaho and Wyoming went in even larger margins for Trump. Obviously, the populations of those states are peanuts compared to ultra-liberal California and Washington State.

Idaho Falls was perhaps the most pro-gun area I've stayed in. Nice people, but the people there couldn't stop talking about guns. Is this a Mormon thing, or is there nothing else to do in the utterly remote, windswept Snake River Valley except for going to the shooting range and hunting?

I did stay in St. Tammany Parish (most conservative county in the New Orleans area) and ventured over to Biloxi, Mississippi for ten weeks in the summer. Needless to say, Trump won by a landslide in those areas, and still fairly pro-gun, but nowhere near the levels of Idaho.

As a Chinese man, neither I nor my Hispanic friend from California encountered any racism, either from whites or blacks, in Louisiana/Mississippi. Didn't see anyone fly confederate flags. The conservatism in the Deep South seems just as gentle as the one I saw in Idaho Falls to me.

Old 05-03-2018, 03:59 PM

2,727 posts, read 5,144,969 times
Visit Oregon (including the burbs of Portland) or Washington , Utah, etc...and you will notice the same, people are pro guns. Seems interesting that you happened to be around people who only talked about guns, where did you meet them at? I've been in Idaho Falls several times and never once heard anyone talk about guns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Idaho Falls was perhaps the most pro-gun area I've stayed in. Nice people, but the people there couldn't stop talking about guns. Is this a Mormon thing, or is there nothing else to do in the utterly remote, windswept Snake River Valley except for going to the shooting range and hunting?
Good question...is there anything else to do in Chicago except go out and shoot a human? Seems like that is all we hear in the press when there is news about Chicago. This doesn't happen in the West.

Old 05-03-2018, 07:37 PM

3,276 posts, read 1,868,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Well, the Mojave Desert contains such things as the Joshua Tree National Park and Joshua Trees don't grow in Arizona.

Also, rain does fall in the California deserts but it happens in the winter, which means that around this time of year after the rains have subsided, you get fabulous spring flowers. In AZ at this time of year everything is wilted. In summer you'll get a few cactus blooming in the monsoon season and some perennial grass that'll green up for a few weeks. Then it's back to brown. Nothing like the CA wildflowers in the spring after the rainy season.

There's nothing equivalent to this:
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/42573158947349629/
https://www.nps.gov/jotr/index.htm
Oh indeed they do. Where in the world did you get that idea? Just get on Highway 93 between Congress and Nothing and there are more than you could ever imagine. They don't call it the "The Joshua Tree Parkway" for nothing.

I've been on that stretch of highway many times and have wandered around the desert along Burro Creek Road, there certainly is no shortage of them.

Quote:
JOSHUA TREE PARKWAY | Arizona Highways
http://www.city-data.com/forum/gener...a-tree-parkway
Wikieup to Wickenburg By Kelly Vaughn Kramer. When Mormon settlers first saw the plant they dubbed the “Joshua tree,” it reminded them of the bushy-bearded biblical leader.

Joshua Forest Parkway, Scenic Route 93 Arizona – A Cork, Fork ...
acorkforkandpassport.com/joshua-tree-parkway-arizona
The Joshua Forest Parkway, ... .Joshua trees grow in California, not Arizona, ... and luxury lifestyle writer/photographer/publisher for A Cork, Fork, & Passport.

Scenic Roads: Joshua Trees Parkway in Arizona
Scenic Roads: Joshua Trees Parkway through Arizona along U.S. 93
Along a scenic stretch of U.S. 93 in Arizona, from Wickenburg to Las Vegas, is the Joshua Trees Parkway, a tree specious made famous by U2's 1980s album...

America's Scenic Byways::Joshua Forest Scenic Road
scenicbyways.info/byway/11293.html
The Joshua Forest Scenic Road was designated on ... by the Arizona Department of ... the road enters the Joshua Forest Parkway, which is lined with Joshua trees.

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 05-03-2018 at 08:09 PM..

Old 05-03-2018, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
If there's any Western state that truly contains interesting, unique landscapes different from California, it would have to be Arizona. California has three of the four North American Deserts--Great Basin, Mojave, Sonoran, but Arizona has all three that California has and a fourth: Chihuahuan. Sure Palm Springs is located in the Sonoran, but in the US, only Arizona has the awesome looking Saguaro Cacti (except some tiny patches in California). Plus, the desert in Phoenix is much greener than the Mojave desert in Victorville, Lancaster because Phoenix actually gets a rainy season during the summer, whereas summer rain in most of California is almost as rare as snow. And of course, Maricopa county actually voted for Trump.
You've got that right!

Old 05-03-2018, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
Your so called personal experience involves meeting a few dozen people in Montana or Wyoming? The West is a huge area of the USA, it is silly to label nearly half of the country based on your assumptions.
I've noticed a lot of people are doing that.

Old 01-03-2019, 06:14 PM

1,504 posts, read 521,183 times
Does anyone else here have that feeling that Salt Lake City is basically just Santa Clarita or the Inland Empire, just with more snow and Mormons (and the Inland Empire in fact does have a lot of Mormons).

Or that Seattle is just the Bay Area, just rinse and repeat, and with gloomier winters?

Old 01-03-2019, 06:51 PM

2,013 posts, read 1,011,832 times
Honestly, I don't think of California, and I never hear it mentioned in conversation. Truly. I would just have to say, I don't think it's as revered as some think. Another thing, if those of us who don't live there, wanted to live there, we probably would.
I was in Arizona recently for a week, talked to a lot of people, and never once heard California mentioned. Lol.....if you're not living there, and don't desire to live there, it's no different to us, than anywhere else we don't want to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or