U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2019, 07:55 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,075,044 times

Advertisements

On wildflowers, California and Arizona are certainly blessed. But a large meadow on Mt. Rainier, or the alpine meadows of the central Rockies or Glacier National Park, a Camas Prairie in southern Idaho, the Zumwalt Prairie in northeast Oregon, a Texas Hill Country back road in spring, the eastern part of the Columbia Gorge, or a tall grass prairie remnant in the Great Plains, etc. are all special and spectacular too.

Lots of diversity, natural and human in the west and other regions too. The more you look, the more you can find.

Last edited by NW Crow; 01-03-2019 at 08:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2019, 08:16 PM

87,020 posts, read 102,689,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I guess the real question is - Does any western state hate to be associated with or influenced by California?

I rather doubt there would be any.
Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Montana and Wyoming residents often **** and moan constantly about Californians ruining their way of life. So yes, those two hate that influence.
You hear that in Colorado, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
I love California for its natural geographic variety. I generally agree with your post, that California has similar landscapes, climate zones, and ecosystems that can be found in other western states.

I certainly wouldn't go so far as to say that other Western States don't have natural beauty and natural wonders that are one of a kind and unique from what is found in California. The Colorado Plateau of Northern Arizona and Southern Utah and all its national parks and monuments for example, has unequivocally no comparison to anything in California. But like I said - generally agree.

I personally love California having a "little bit of everything" and am willing to work around the downsides of living in California.

Also agree that there is not much of a difference in regional accents.

Agreed that there are similarities between:

Humboldt County = rest of Pacific Northwest
San Francisco = a warmer/sunnier version of Seattle
Lassen Volcanic = mini Yellowstone (though worth a trip to see actual Yellowstone)
Lake Tahoe = Crater Lake
Sierra Nevada mountain peaks and skiing opportunities = Colorado Rockies counterparts.
San Francisco Bay area more people and more expensive = other liberal western cities, only smaller and more affordable.
California has three deserts:

Mojave which extends into Clark County, NV
Sonoran Desert in California is like Sonoran desert of Arizona minus Saguaro cacti
Owens Valley and eastward is an extension of great basin of Nevada which extends into southern Idaho and western Utah.

IE + nearby mountains warmer and more liberal/less religious = Salt Lake Lake City colder and more religious/conservative
Central Valley warmer and less conservative = Snake River Valley, but again colder and more conservative

Wow. Couldn't have said it better myself. 100% agree.

This is what people don't understand. I love the outdoors and love the west, but I lost track of how many times people assume I would like living in any of these other western states better than California. Yes, other western states are less crowded and more affordable, and on the surface initial meeting of strangers may be friendly, but the things you describe are very real challenges to actually living there.

I lived in Laramie, WY for two years for grad school and while I enjoyed my time there, the northern Rocky mountain state culture was one where I felt I would never fit in.

I will also add, that in addition to transient, Arizona and Nevada have a high % of retirees. So, if you are elderly you might have an easier time of meeting people?

I know an Asian-American who lives in LA and grew up in Hawaii, and basically if you are a white male you are basically guilty of being racist, sexist, homophobic until proven otherwise. You must be radical liberal. Worse than any native born Californians.

I love traveling to Utah and Arizona for their natural wonders to visit, but if I were to live in other Western states I would choose Colorado or New Mexico.

I like the culture and heritage of New Mexico. Colorado would be good, because here in California my social groups do revolve around hiking and camping, but it does seem a lot of Coloradans do take it a bit too seriously.

Anyways, great and accurate post.
Where in California is there a "normal" four season climate?

Yes, there is a "keep up with the Joneses" mentality in Colorado, Denver anyway, about how many double black diamonds one has skied, how many 14ers one has climbed (if you have to ask what a 14er is you haven't been to CO), etc.

Old 01-04-2019, 04:43 AM

7,749 posts, read 9,053,224 times
In response to you saying Colorado residents whine about Californians, it's interesting because Wyoming residents also love to whine about Coloradans. Maybe because they are too much like California, who knows.

Old 01-04-2019, 10:46 AM

1,100 posts, read 1,076,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Colorado

You hear that in Colorado, too.

Yes, there is a "keep up with the Joneses" mentality in Colorado, Denver anyway, about how many double black diamonds one has skied, how many 14ers one has climbed (if you have to ask what a 14er is you haven't been to CO), etc.
It's a common sentiment in the NW, as well, so add OR and especially WA to the list. In fact, that's kind of a hilarious comment by BigCityDreamer. I seriously doubt ANY western state takes any pride or brags about being associated with or influenced by California.

On a side note, I'm actually curious where a true four season area exists in CA and was just wondering about that the other day when visiting.

And the "keep up with the Joneses" mentality is definitely present in CO, when it comes to fitness. The 14er obsession is especially amusing- when living there, we often joked,

Q: How do you know if someone has summited all 54 14er's? A: Oh, don't worry, they'll tell you.

But their loss. Many of the peaks over 14,000 look somewhat similar, and some of my favorite mountains in the state, like Mt. Sopris, are likely far less traveled because they're not part of the club....

Old 01-05-2019, 03:02 PM

1,016 posts, read 644,608 times
As far as I’m concerned, there are no neighborhoods in Arizona, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Utah or Wyoming such as Balboa, Lido or Naples Islands. As someone who grew up on an island in Narragansett Bay (Rhode Island) and lived on a barrier island in South Florida for years, it is difficult to imagine living in a state that does not offer “island living,” even if those islands are man-made.

Again, California FTW.

Old 01-05-2019, 07:53 PM

4,406 posts, read 4,615,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonizer View Post
It's a common sentiment in the NW, as well, so add OR and especially WA to the list. In fact, that's kind of a hilarious comment by BigCityDreamer. I seriously doubt ANY western state takes any pride or brags about being associated with or influenced by California.

On a side note, I'm actually curious where a true four season area exists in CA and was just wondering about that the other day when visiting.

And the "keep up with the Joneses" mentality is definitely present in CO, when it comes to fitness. The 14er obsession is especially amusing- when living there, we often joked,

Q: How do you know if someone has summited all 54 14er's? A: Oh, don't worry, they'll tell you.

But their loss. Many of the peaks over 14,000 look somewhat similar, and some of my favorite mountains in the state, like Mt. Sopris, are likely far less traveled because they're not part of the club....
Colorado outdoes California when it comes to fitness. Colorado is consistently the least obese state in the country.

Old 01-06-2019, 06:55 PM

1,016 posts, read 644,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
Colorado outdoes California when it comes to fitness. Colorado is consistently the least obese state in the country.
That’s because 70-80% of Colorado residents are non-Hispanic white (NHW). OTOH, only 30-35% of California residents are NHW. And FWIW, minorities are much more likely to be obese than NHW’s, especially blacks, Hispanics and American Indians.

Old 01-06-2019, 07:37 PM

7,749 posts, read 9,053,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
That’s because 70-80% of Colorado residents are non-Hispanic white (NHW). OTOH, only 30-35% of California residents are NHW. And FWIW, minorities are much more likely to be obese than NHW’s, especially blacks, Hispanics and American Indians.
These comments can't end well...

Old 01-06-2019, 07:41 PM

3,823 posts, read 3,320,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Honestly, I don't think of California, and I never hear it mentioned in conversation. Truly. I would just have to say, I don't think it's as revered as some think. Another thing, if those of us who don't live there, wanted to live there, we probably would.
I was in Arizona recently for a week, talked to a lot of people, and never once heard California mentioned. Lol.....if you're not living there, and don't desire to live there, it's no different to us, than anywhere else we don't want to live.
???

Califórnia is possibly the most talked about state.

Old 01-07-2019, 10:02 PM

1,508 posts, read 528,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Colorado

Easy. South Lake Tahoe, California. Mammoth Lakes, California. Alturas, California (Very similar climate to the Snake River Valley, like Twin Falls or Idaho Falls).

Who needs Aspen or Breckenridge or Park City when you get 300 inches of snow (mostly powder) yearly in Lake Tahoe's dozen ski resorts, each of which span several thousand acres? Like Heavenly, which has 4,800 acres and a vertical drop of 3,500 feet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or