U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2018, 01:38 AM

2,518 posts, read 2,275,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Atlanta is a nice city but its overall environment isn't as beautiful as many other Southern cities including Savannah, New Orleans, Charleston SC and WV both, Charlotte, or Nashville. In fact I wouldn't say Atlanta is prettier than Baton Rouge or Lafayette, Louisiana.
Repped.. except Atl and Charlotte look the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2018, 01:39 AM

5,299 posts, read 3,515,512 times
Quote:
Atlanta is a nice city but its overall environment isn't as beautiful as many other Southern cities including Savannah, New Orleans, Charleston SC and WV both, Charlotte, or Nashville. In fact I wouldn't say Atlanta is prettier than Baton Rouge or Lafayette, Louisiana.
Atlanta's terrain and tree cover looks exactly like Charlotte's, Tom. There is virtually zero difference, they both represent the Piedmont identically. The only difference between the two is the size of their built environment.

Old 03-24-2018, 02:52 AM

7,825 posts, read 12,335,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Repped.. except Atl and Charlotte look the same.
I think the mountains and lakes in the viscinity of Charlotte are more attractive than around Atlanta. Also in terms of the built environment, Atlanta has larger swaths of run-down neighborhoods (and more crime) than Charlotte.

Old 03-24-2018, 03:32 AM

2,452 posts, read 1,283,591 times
Quote:
I guess if you think the landscape of the Appalachian foothills are equal to the beauty of the Pacific NW.

Agree to disagree. I don't think it's underrated at all. You hear about it on here all the time.
Quote:
Lol! People besides me have said Atl is actually not that pretty as so many Atlanta posters claim and you hold onto the one? Well, I guess if a tree canopy is all you have it's all you can do which is why all you ever do is post something like the below to give your city some relevancy wherever possible, which is precisely why it's not underrated. Thanks for proving my point.
Atlanta isn't my favorite city either in regards to scenery. But nevertheless, I'm just giving context about where some posters were coming from regarding the city being underrated in that department. And with the help of responses from you and others (like gladhands), there's also the exposure of critical reasoning flaws that often occur in these scenery discussions.

Last edited by Texyn; 03-24-2018 at 03:46 AM..

Old 03-24-2018, 03:42 AM

2,452 posts, read 1,283,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
Loblolly Pines don't grow in Greenville, but they grow two hours away in Atlanta? Uh-huh.
Oddly enough, that's actually correct:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinus_...bution_map.png

Old 03-24-2018, 04:24 AM

29,946 posts, read 27,406,003 times
Quote:
N

I lived there and agree, no mtn views, no body of water...... but I've experienced CA coast and New England Mtns and FL coast so maybe it's perspective.. what's so special about Atlanta that is unique or different or photo OP worthy beautiful and please nobody outside of CD pulls at strings and talks about "tree canopy".
What you're saying is a far cry from "much of it is really quite ugly."

Old 03-24-2018, 04:39 AM

29,946 posts, read 27,406,003 times
Quote:
I think the mountains and lakes in the viscinity of Charlotte are more attractive than around Atlanta. Also in terms of the built environment, Atlanta has larger swaths of run-down neighborhoods (and more crime) than Charlotte.
Which mountains in the vicinity of Charlotte are we talking about? It's actually a moot point because you don't get mountain views in either city, but you do get more rolling terrain in Atlanta's northern suburbs than Charlotte's.

I can agree about the lakes though. Charlotte has three lakes essentially bordering the city to the east whereas Lake Lanier is farther from Atlanta. But metro Atlanta does make better recreational use of the Chattahoochee than metro Charlotte makes of the Catawba.

Atlanta certainly has more run-down neighborhoods than Charlotte, which is practically unscathed for an American city its size. But Atlanta has more historic beautiful neighborhoods as well which somewhat evens the score in that department.

Old 03-24-2018, 09:13 AM

5,299 posts, read 3,515,512 times
Quote:
Ya think? Uh, perhaps that fact that Atlanta is three times the size of Charlotte ever cross your mind?

With the exception of the shores of Lake Norman being overdeveloped, the lakes around both are all man made and virtually identical.

And Charlotte doesn't have any mountains, while Atlanta does.

Old 03-24-2018, 09:36 AM

2,753 posts, read 1,714,945 times
I'd like to point out that you can see the Appalachian mountains from the higher floors of Atlanta's skyscrapers.

Old 03-24-2018, 09:44 AM

7,589 posts, read 4,011,810 times
I think you can see the Blue Ridge from various points in the north ATL burbs, such as around Sweat Mountain near highway 92.

It may just be large hills in the distance.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 03-24-2018 at 09:58 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or