U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 11:51 AM

29,881 posts, read 27,333,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
No heart attack. Just noting that Atlanta's beauty and overall greatness gets mentioned a lot in general, just level setting the "underrated".
There's a distinction to be made between what happens on C-D and what happens in real life. I don't hear much mention of Atlanta's tree canopy or beauty in real life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2018, 12:06 PM

2,513 posts, read 2,265,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
There's a distinction to be made between what happens on C-D and what happens in real life. I don't hear much mention of Atlanta's tree canopy or beauty in real life.
That is true. I was talking about CD where it's definitely not underrated and in real life actually never hear the same compliments. There's a clear and true distinction between CD & real life for Atlanta.

Old 03-20-2018, 01:22 PM

11,456 posts, read 6,571,690 times
Nyc

Old 03-20-2018, 01:34 PM

13,236 posts, read 24,407,950 times
Inland Empire, CA: towering mountains of varying colors surrounding, long, sweeping vistas of cities anchored by palms, best viewed on a clear sky/windy fall or winter day.

Bakersfield, CA/surrounds. Yes, this can definitely be a dry dusty and ugly place, but when you compare it to the other San Joaquin Valley cities, the backdrop of the mountains beats all the others, and some of the most beautiful drives around are NE/E/SE of there.

Eugene, OR: Not nearly mentioned enough, for anything. Let's just say there's a river, and a ton of trees around.

Tacoma, WA: Not as much of a decaying industrial city anymore, the water, the trees, and view of Mount Rainier are hard to beat.

Spokane, WA: I've spoken ad nauseum about this place, but it rarely meets people's idea of it, and IMO the scenery is absolutely mindblowing.

Anybody think Phoenix is underrated? Tucson is IMO. I've always thought Kansas City was fairly pretty, but I'm not aware of the consensus. I feel like places like Milwaukee and Detroit are rated appropriately, both as cities, and at their scenery. I think the Chicago suburbs are pretty darn beautiful. Toledo is another one that I think gets absolutely no love, but I found the scenery to be pretty enchanting.

Old 03-20-2018, 02:01 PM

14,411 posts, read 26,229,960 times
I have only really ever driven through Toledo, but one time when 75 north to Detroit was detoured for construction I wound up going over the Maumee River bridge. Ended up going well out of the way, but it was much better to look at than the 75 frontage. Too bad I was driving and not really able to take it in.

Old 03-20-2018, 09:05 PM

13,567 posts, read 22,018,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfranklin View Post
I've lived in both Birmingham and Chattanooga - many are unaware, but Birmingham's setting/backdrop is amazing/vastly underrated - quite hilly/"mountainous" - very beautiful in the Fall - similar to Chattanooga - but Chattanooga's surrounding mountains are a bit higher at > 2000 feet

Definitely agree about Birmingham. Majorly underrated and unknown.

Old 03-20-2018, 09:08 PM

13,567 posts, read 22,018,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Exactly. I was gonna come in and say this, but you beat me to it.

C-D is not real life.

Old 03-20-2018, 09:48 PM

239 posts, read 498,370 times
Houston. Itís not even a bad looking city but it has a bad rep.

Old 03-21-2018, 04:33 AM

Location: near downtown Greenville, SC (viewing the sunset vicariously at the North Gulf Shore Beach Access)
1,899 posts, read 3,723,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Count David View Post
...Tucson is IMO...
The Southwest US is stunning - my wife and I took a tour of AZ, UT, CO, NM 15+ years ago - many amazing areas.

We stopped in Tucson for an overnight stay after driving AZ Hwy 86/visiting Ajo. Wow...Tucson's mountainous setting was fantastic. I also remember how hot it was! (this was in early September) Our hotel had very weak A/C - had to sleep on top of the bed - but, used to it from someone who survives SC summers! Need to go back to Tucson in the near future for an extended stay.

Old 03-21-2018, 06:13 AM

2,806 posts, read 1,297,032 times
Cincinnati as many have already said. Most people in real life who haven't been there expect it to be flat and boring because "Ohio"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or