U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 07:15 PM

14,415 posts, read 26,238,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Every city has highway glamour shots equivalent to these. This bit of ugly is certainly not exclusive.
Please note, I did not use the phrase "glamour shot" in an ironic or sarcastic way. That is legitimately the best looking stretch of Interstate 45 going through Houston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2018, 07:19 PM

2,006 posts, read 1,018,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Please note, I did not use the phrase "glamour shot" in an ironic or sarcastic way. That is legitimately the best looking stretch of Interstate 45 going through Houston.
Lol...highways are not pretty, anywhere.

Old 03-21-2018, 07:23 PM

6,560 posts, read 10,268,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
Any city that is flat will be underrated. Because as far as many people are concerned, mountains are the only features that count for scenery.
Houston's not bad from a scenery standpoint even though it's flatter than a sheet of plywood. DFW has a few small pockets of ok scenery (nothing earth shattering). On the whole, though, the Metroplex is very much a double-bagger.

Old 03-21-2018, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Lol...highways are not pretty, anywhere.
They are not. Strictly utilitarian, like most things built in Houston.

There are actually a lot of trees in the city, though.

IMG_9987 by James Fremont, on Flickr

Old 03-21-2018, 08:05 PM

2,452 posts, read 1,280,275 times
See, there we go jfre, told you it's not all bad. A well landscaped area of S near UH:

Attached Thumbnails
Cities where their beauty is underrated?-untitled6.png  

Last edited by Texyn; 03-21-2018 at 09:12 PM..

Old 03-21-2018, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count David View Post
Inland Empire, CA: towering mountains of varying colors surrounding, long, sweeping vistas of cities anchored by palms, best viewed on a clear sky/windy fall or winter day.

Bakersfield, CA/surrounds. Yes, this can definitely be a dry dusty and ugly place, but when you compare it to the other San Joaquin Valley cities, the backdrop of the mountains beats all the others, and some of the most beautiful drives around are NE/E/SE of there.

Eugene, OR: Not nearly mentioned enough, for anything. Let's just say there's a river, and a ton of trees around.

Tacoma, WA: Not as much of a decaying industrial city anymore, the water, the trees, and view of Mount Rainier are hard to beat.

Spokane, WA: I've spoken ad nauseum about this place, but it rarely meets people's idea of it, and IMO the scenery is absolutely mindblowing.

Anybody think Phoenix is underrated? Tucson is IMO. I've always thought Kansas City was fairly pretty, but I'm not aware of the consensus. I feel like places like Milwaukee and Detroit are rated appropriately, both as cities, and at their scenery. I think the Chicago suburbs are pretty darn beautiful. Toledo is another one that I think gets absolutely no love, but I found the scenery to be pretty enchanting.

And, how are they rated?

Old 03-21-2018, 09:31 PM

Quote:
And, how are they rated?
Same way Baseball America rates baseball prospects. We are a group of experts who rank each city in a strictly scientific process based on a range of arbitrary aesthetic qualities.

Old 03-21-2018, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Same way Baseball America rates baseball prospects. We are a group of experts who rank each city in a strictly scientific process based on a range of arbitrary aesthetic qualities.
I was asking that poster specifically about Detroit and Milwaukee, as he (or she) seemed to be all-knowing.

Old 03-21-2018, 10:11 PM

5,293 posts, read 3,508,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Atlanta is not nearly as beautiful as people on this site claim. Much of it is really quite ugly.
Neither is Pittsburgh.

Last edited by JMT; 03-23-2018 at 08:27 AM.. Reason: Over the top insults

Old 03-21-2018, 10:28 PM

Quote:
I was asking that poster specifically about Detroit and Milwaukee, as he (or she) seemed to be all-knowing.
Right on. I'm just making a bit of light over just how subjective this entire discussion is.

Myself, I just draw on my personal scope of travel that has covered wide areas of what some might term "flyover country," Detroit and Milwaukee included, and I've at least seen in passing most cities in the South and Midwest. I wish I could say I had all of them in the photo portfolio, as some of them were drive-throughs and layovers with time constraints. Minneapolis, Kansas City, Miami and Charlotte are among the few I have not seen at all but in Google and other people's city photography.

I can say there is a lot of "underrated" out there, considering I could post a thread somewhere with four random skylines and probably have relatively few who could name any of them, but can pick out the city with the Hollywood sign and the city with the Statue of Liberty.

Some of the "underrated" even gets seen on the highway. Coming over the Mississippi into Memphis in the earliest hours of a crisp, clear autumn morning was a visual treat that sticks out in my head. Detroit looks similarly nice over a river, in fact. There's a hill around Florence, Kentucky that you go over and suddenly you see the Cincinnati skyline, high enough to see Covington in the foreground. That stretch of Main Street in Houston all the way up through the Museum District, and downtown Indianapolis both make me think of what central DC would look like without its height restrictions.

I wish I saw more of Milwaukee than the intermodal station and the surrounding area on a Greyhound trip, but what I saw has me wanting to come back. Nashville was another city I could just stare at through the window. The countryside especially north is also a nice drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or