U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 06:49 AM

18,927 posts, read 6,860,994 times

Advertisements

Back in Rochester, NY where I grew up, everyone referred to Rochester proper as "The City".

Here in Phoenix, if you live in Phoenix proper (like I do), you generally tell people what neighborhood you live in, since the built environment in the city limits varies. So I say I live in Eastlake Park (my specific neighborhood) or Downtown to make it easier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2018, 07:03 AM

32,346 posts, read 55,148,798 times
Here's the Dialect Prevalence Map from 2013. The question was What is "The City" to you?

Here is a heat map for New York. The redder the area, the more prevalent that the respondent replied NYC. The bluer the area means that locals there refer to another place as "The City"

my image

Old 03-20-2018, 07:23 AM

5,869 posts, read 6,528,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Philly is weird especially the northern burbs (say Bucks and Burlington counties in PA and NJ respectively)

People can refer to Philly as the city or more commonly Center City but people do use "city". All while simultaneously using the "city" as Manhattan. Its almost like a different inflection or context and even with the same word most times you understand which one they mean. Those areas of the Philly burbs are pretty close to both Manhattan and Philly so maybe that plays in

On the national context NYC is by far the most commonly recognized. more regionally SF probably next but not on a national context whereas NYC carries that much further across the US

Many locals refer to their core as the city

NYC is the real outlier on this though the popularity of the GS (originally Philadelphia) Warriors has added a bit to the linkage for SF even though the play in the East bay (Oakland has a few originally Philadelphia teams with the Warriors and As (as a quirky tid bit)
Is Philly the only city without a place called downtown? And do people ever substitute "Downtown" for "Center City"???

A real mistake when I started this thread. I should have included far more places called the City and made this thread more of a "what do they call it??"
That question was for you obviosly, but I have some others I'll throw out to anybody:

*. Is the place name "Washington" ever used in Metro DC?

* Likewise, is the word "Los Angeles" ever used in LA, LA County, or in Metro LA?

*. And related to the two above, do the various
metro areas use (in spoken language) any of the Following: St. Petersburg, Indianapolis, Philadelphia?

*. There is no place spoken of as "Suburban San Francisco". Is such true for any other city?

*. How about the word "Kansas City". Is it ever used in the metro area or does one always use terms like KCMO and KCKS?

*. One, of course can say "New Orleans" or "NOLA". Are there acceptable uses for "NO"??

Not about cities, but still "what do theycall it?

*. Is it ever appropriate to call these universities by these names (as opposed to the ones in parentheses: Mississippi (Ole Miss), Louisiana State (LSU), Pennsylvania State (Penn State), Pennsylvania (Penn), California (Cal), Missouri (Mizzou)?????

*. There is no place name called "New York City". New York is the name for a city, county and state. Is the word New York City ever used in metro New York? Is it ever appropriate to refer to the.
State with Buffaalo, Albany and Syracuse as "New York"?

*. Is the D/FW metro ever called Metro Dallas" or The Dallas area?"

* is "The Bay Area" the default for the San Francisco Bay Area for virtually anybody outside of Florida"????

*. Are these terms recognized and used across the nation: Chicagoland, Netroplex, Research Triangle??

Last edited by edsg25; 03-20-2018 at 07:32 AM..

Old 03-20-2018, 07:31 AM

406 posts, read 288,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
This is an interesting topic. As a frequent traveler over the years I have observed cities using this term all over the country.

Sure, San Francisco is probably the best and most accurate example. (Check out "Lights" by Journey) NYC can also lay claim on the term for obvious reasons. But I have also heard it used as "The Big City" in Texas, in Houston. Believe it or not, I also have heard it in Seattle on radio as "the big city" in the Northwest.
I think people in the NY metro all call it the city, it's definitely way more used here than in SF.

Old 03-20-2018, 07:33 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
3,976 posts, read 3,456,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
more "District" than "DC".....right?
I'd say about equal. News media and tv may refer to the District more, but some Marylander headed downtown to meet someone for dinner would say "I'll hit you when I get into the city". etc

Old 03-20-2018, 09:13 AM

32,346 posts, read 55,148,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tman7117 View Post
I think people in the NY metro all call it the city, it's definitely way more used here than in SF.
Nope. SF is widely referred to as 'the City' in Northern California-even in neighboring metro areas like Sacramento, there's no mistaking where 'the city' is. This goes back to the mid 1800s so it's not a recent thing.

Old 03-20-2018, 09:14 AM

2,507 posts, read 2,269,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
D.C. is referred to as "the city" also locally, or just simply the District.

Everything else is viewed as the "suburbs" here, even if it is actually urban.
A lot of my friends in the burbs say they are going into DC and vice versa, they say they are going to MD or VA. Perhaps because a lot of them are transients?

Last edited by Ebck120; 03-20-2018 at 09:29 AM..

Old 03-20-2018, 09:26 AM

12,199 posts, read 10,414,132 times
What about Baltimore? Do they say it to differentiate from Baltimore County?

Old 03-20-2018, 09:56 AM

1,176 posts, read 657,213 times
While growing up, whenever anyone in my family referred to "the city", it always meant New York, despite the fact we lived in northern New England. Most of my family still lives there and the suburbs, so we visited often. Whenever other New Englanders referred to "the city", it always mean Boston (except for southwest CT). Here, whenever anyone says "the city", it obviously means Philly.

Now that I live in the city, whenever I'm going into Center City I just say I'm going downtown, even though I'm actually traveling north uptown from my neighborhood.

Old 03-20-2018, 10:10 AM

506 posts, read 338,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post

* Likewise, is the word "Los Angeles" ever used in LA, LA County, or in Metro LA?
In the time I've lived here, I've never heard "Los Angeles" said out loud unless I leave the city and go elsewhere. It's usually just LA.

It also seems (from my observations) when people say they're "going to LA" they're referencing anywhere west of DTLA (unless it's specifically West Hollywood, Beverly Hills, or Santa Monica).

I've also noticed for a lot of people, "LA" and "downtown LA" mean the same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or