Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 02:25 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,478,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tman7117 View Post
Wrong. Everyone on LI/NJ at least calls Manhattan the city, and if you are talking about something in any of the other boroughs you'd just say their name.

ex: "Is that restaurant you were talking about in the city?" "No, it's in Queens."
Exactly. Nobody refers to the outer boroughs as "the city" unless they're Archie Bunker types.

And apparently, people in the outer boroughs referring to Manhattan as "the city" used to be less prevalent. My aunt who is in her late 40s has lived in Brooklyn her whole life and views that as a suburbanite thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2018, 03:07 PM

591 posts, read 820,414 times
People in Washington State refer to Seattle as "the city"

Old 03-21-2018, 09:54 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,398,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Here's the Dialect Prevalence Map from 2013. The question was What is "The City" to you?

Here is a heat map for New York. The redder the area, the more prevalent that the respondent replied NYC. The bluer the area means that locals there refer to another place as "The City"

my image
Interesting map. I’m not surprised by the red in southern Florida but a little surprised by the tiny red that exist in the southeast states!

Old 03-22-2018, 06:32 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLgasm View Post
Yes, in both St. Louis and Baltimore, "the City" quite literally refers to the independent core cities, and "the County" is pretty much a moniker for the suburbs.
This is true. In Baltimore I've heard the term "county bounty" used for people outside the city limits.

Old 03-22-2018, 09:10 AM

1,804 posts, read 1,952,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
This is true. In Baltimore I've heard the term "county bounty" used for people outside the city limits.
My family is from Baltimore, and I've never heard that term used until now!

Let's not forget sometime for a secondary city, "the town". Perhaps someone from Delaware County, PA could call Wilmington, DE "the town" as opposed to "the city", which is Philly for them. To someone from Northern NJ, Newark (or perhaps Patterson) could be "the town", Fort Worth "the town" compared to bigger Dallas, Round Rock, TX the "town" compared to Austin, Ft. Lauderdale "the town" to Miami, while Oakland is "the town" in the SF Bay Area. Alexandria, VA though is "old town".

Old 03-22-2018, 09:59 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,893,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Exactly. Nobody refers to the outer boroughs as "the city" unless they're Archie Bunker types.
Not true .. I lived in NYC for close to 15 years .... take a trip upstate or to CT ... its down in "the city" even if you're talking about BX, BK, or Qns. Not saying everyone does it, but you definitely have those that do, and technically they are correct.... Outer Boroughs are just as much New York CITY, as Manhattan.

Old 03-22-2018, 10:56 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
One of the weather forecasters on Denver TV refers to temps in "the city"; most just say "Denver" or "downtown" (as opposed to the airport). That particular forecaster is from California, IIRC, though she's been here a long time.

Old 03-22-2018, 12:46 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
That's used as an insult to people from the county trying to act tough.

Old 03-24-2018, 03:34 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,478,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Not true .. I lived in NYC for close to 15 years .... take a trip upstate or to CT ... its down in "the city" even if you're talking about BX, BK, or Qns. Not saying everyone does it, but you definitely have those that do, and technically they are correct.... Outer Boroughs are just as much New York CITY, as Manhattan.
Well upstate is not in the NYC metro area except for part of Dutchess County, so that's a little different. Connecticut is out of state. But I know that "the city" for Long Islanders usually means Manhattan. I'm from Long Island and personally I don't really say "the city" because Manhattan has a nice ring to it.

Old 03-24-2018, 07:58 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,255,733 times
When people living outside Kansas City tell their friends they ”need to drive into the city tomorrow,” do you really think they are planning to slip into Manahattan for the day?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.