U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-27-2018, 03:19 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn the best borough in NYC!
1,991 posts, read 863,506 times
Reputation: 1106

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthere22 View Post
Nyc is the more complex i think

If you are in an outer boro you could say: i am going to Manhattan, that would include Harlem.
but if you say I am going to the city, Harlem is excluded. Harlem is in Manhattan but is not the city.
if you are in Harlem and you are going to the city, you never say "i am going to the city", you say: "going downtown."

if you are in Brooklyn and you are going to Manhattan you say "going to the city."
but if you are in the Bronx you say "downtown." The Bronx is kinda part of the city as the street count continues into he Bronx. making Manhattan the de facto downtown of the Bronx. but the bronx is not the city. lol
Right. Harlem or uptown including Washington Heights and Manhattan are like two different boroughs to the actual New Yorker even thought its all in one place!

Didn’t know Bronx referred to Manhattan as downtown though! Are you from there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-27-2018, 04:53 PM
 
Location: Downtown & Brooklyn!
2,110 posts, read 1,303,876 times
Reputation: 1825
Quote:
Originally Posted by upthere22 View Post
Nyc is the more complex i think

If you are in an outer boro you could say: i am going to Manhattan, that would include Harlem.
but if you say I am going to the city, Harlem is excluded. Harlem is in Manhattan but is not the city.
if you are in Harlem and you are going to the city, you never say "i am going to the city", you say: "going downtown."

if you are in Brooklyn and you are going to Manhattan you say "going to the city."
but if you are in the Bronx you say "downtown." The Bronx is kinda part of the city as the street count continues into he Bronx. making Manhattan the de facto downtown of the Bronx. but the bronx is not the city. lol

if you are in Brooklyn and you say going "downtown" you are going to downtown Brooklyn, not Manhattan.

if you are in the city and you say "i am going to Staten island" people would say "eww'
Lmao @ the bold. I think that people in the other 3 boroughs would have the same reaction too.

Nice summary. It is kinda complex but I think you did a good job explaining it. I agree that Harlem + anything North of that is not the city. I generally think of the city to be Manhattan South of 96th Street. UES, UWS, and Central Park have always been the city to me. Maybe I can see it expanded to 110th (Central Park North) but I would never call Washington Heights, Inwood, etc. The city. I am from Queens btw if that matters.

I think that “the city” to NYers is basically our version of “Downtown” (in the way that other cities use that term), since in NY the word “Downtown” doesn’t mean the same thing as it does in other cities in US + Canada

Another good distinction to make is the difference between the borough of Manhattan vs. Manhattan Island. People don’t always realize that Manhattan as a borough includes more than just Manhattan Island, like all the smaller islands surrounding it (Roosevelt Island, Governors Island, Randall’s+Wards Island, Liberty Island, etc.) and Marble Hill which is no longer part of the island of Manhattan but still the borough of Manhattan. So if you live on Roosevelt island you live in the borough of Manhattan and your address is New York, NY even though you don’t actually live in Manhattan (The actual Island)

Last edited by That_One_Guy; 03-27-2018 at 05:29 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2018, 05:57 PM
 
9,383 posts, read 9,529,334 times
Reputation: 5786
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
Lmao @ the bold. I think that people in the other 3 boroughs would have the same reaction too.

Nice summary. It is kinda complex but I think you did a good job explaining it. I agree that Harlem + anything North of that is not the city. I generally think of the city to be Manhattan South of 96th Street. UES, UWS, and Central Park have always been the city to me. Maybe I can see it expanded to 110th (Central Park North) but I would never call Washington Heights, Inwood, etc. The city. I am from Queens btw if that matters.

I think that “the city” to NYers is basically our version of “Downtown” (in the way that other cities use that term), since in NY the word “Downtown” doesn’t mean the same thing as it does in other cities in US + Canada

Another good distinction to make is the difference between the borough of Manhattan vs. Manhattan Island. People don’t always realize that Manhattan as a borough includes more than just Manhattan Island, like all the smaller islands surrounding it (Roosevelt Island, Governors Island, Randall’s+Wards Island, Liberty Island, etc.) and Marble Hill which is no longer part of the island of Manhattan but still the borough of Manhattan. So if you live on Roosevelt island you live in the borough of Manhattan and your address is New York, NY even though you don’t actually live in Manhattan (The actual Island)
I guess Boston is similar in they call the central areas "Boston". If you are going to Charlestown you are going to Charlestown, not Boston, if you are going to Dorchester you are going to Dorchester, not Boston, even though those places are technically in Boston. Similar to if you are going to Brooklyn you are going to Brooklyn not "the city" even though technically it is "the city".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2018, 10:28 PM
 
1,185 posts, read 873,374 times
Reputation: 1847
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajams22 View Post
In the time I've lived here, I've never heard "Los Angeles" said out loud unless I leave the city and go elsewhere. It's usually just LA.

It also seems (from my observations) when people say they're "going to LA" they're referencing anywhere west of DTLA (unless it's specifically West Hollywood, Beverly Hills, or Santa Monica).

I've also noticed for a lot of people, "LA" and "downtown LA" mean the same thing.
I've heard people say Los Angeles, but agree that 'LA' is the term used more often. Like most cities, when you're in the city, people just say the name of the neighborhood they're going to. When I have to go to the Valley for some reason, I usually just say 'the Valley, ' instead of saying the actual neighborhood name like 'West Hills' or 'Northridge.' I've never lived in the Valley, so I'm not sure how they refer to the neighborhoods in the Basin, but I've definitely heard people in the Valley say they are 'Going over the Hill' to mean they are going into the Basin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2018, 07:35 AM
 
381 posts, read 146,270 times
Reputation: 196
The reason downtown and Harlem are two different things goes back to the foundation of the city, the dutch saw new Amsterdam and Harlem as two different towns. the village of New Amsterdam became Downtown and Harlem pretty much is still the same as you can see the original boundaries at east 96th and west 110 st are in place still today. Peter Stuyvesant, formally established the town of Nieuw Haarlem, in 1658.
Attached Thumbnails
Manhattan, Chicago, San Francisco: it's "The City"...true elsewhere?-newharlemlevel1.0-1-.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2018, 08:12 AM
 
Location: Brooklyn the best borough in NYC!
1,991 posts, read 863,506 times
Reputation: 1106
Quote:
Originally Posted by upthere22 View Post
The reason downtown and Harlem are two different things goes back to the foundation of the city, the dutch saw new Amsterdam and Harlem as two different towns. the village of New Amsterdam became Downtown and Harlem pretty much is still the same as you can see the original boundaries at east 96th and west 110 st are in place still today. Peter Stuyvesant, formally established the town of Nieuw Haarlem, in 1658.
Yessir!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top