Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 06:59 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,766,806 times

Advertisements

Manhattan, it is well known, is referred to as "the City" in the outer boroughs and throughout metro NYC. San Francisco has long had a synonym, "The City", a term used for well over a century when Californians referred to San Francisco as "The City" (the Warriors, when they played in SF....where they are btw returning from Oakland) had "The City" on their jerseys.

And in Chicago, my home town, suburbanites refer to Chicago as "the city". I hardly hear anyone say "Chicago" for it. It's virtually always "I'm going into the city", rarely "I'm going into Chicago."

My question is, and I suppose the answer is "yes": is that true in any city? Do people refer to the main city in their metro area as "The City" except perhaps in places where it might not work: Dallas, Fort Worth, Minneapolis, St. Paul and the like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2018, 09:29 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,358,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
Manhattan, it is well known, is referred to as "the City" in the outer boroughs and throughout metro NYC. San Francisco has long had a synonym, "The City", a term used for well over a century when Californians referred to San Francisco as "The City" (the Warriors, when they played in SF....where they are btw returning from Oakland) had "The City" on their jerseys.

And in Chicago, my home town, suburbanites refer to Chicago as "the city". I hardly hear anyone say "Chicago" for it. It's virtually always "I'm going into the city", rarely "I'm going into Chicago."

My question is, and I suppose the answer is "yes": is that true in any city? Do people refer to the main city in their metro area as "The City" except perhaps in places where it might not work: Dallas, Fort Worth, Minneapolis, St. Paul and the like.
So how about the residents that actually live in Chicago? If they are going downtown do they call it downtown or do they call it the city?

Old 03-19-2018, 09:39 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,026 posts, read 7,417,147 times
D.C. is referred to as "the city" also locally, or just simply the District.

Everything else is viewed as the "suburbs" here, even if it is actually urban.

Old 03-19-2018, 09:40 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,754,434 times
This is an interesting topic. As a frequent traveler over the years I have observed cities using this term all over the country.

Sure, San Francisco is probably the best and most accurate example. (Check out "Lights" by Journey) NYC can also lay claim on the term for obvious reasons. But I have also heard it used as "The Big City" in Texas, in Houston. Believe it or not, I also have heard it in Seattle on radio as "the big city" in the Northwest.

Old 03-19-2018, 10:01 PM

6,615 posts, read 16,504,938 times
People who live in outstate MN call Mpls/St. Paul metro area "The Cities".

Old 03-20-2018, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
So how about the residents that actually live in Chicago? If they are going downtown do they call it downtown or do they call it the city?
Please don't even get into the concept of "what is downtown"

There are some suburbanites who refer the virtually the whole city as downtown (they would consider areas of the mid-North Side, like Wrigleyville and Wrigley Field to be "downtown".

but I'm going to plead a degree of ignorance here, Brooklyn, as referring to "the city" is what I hear in suburbia; not absolutely sure if Chicagoans do the same.

Old 03-20-2018, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
D.C. is referred to as "the city" also locally, or just simply the District.

Everything else is viewed as the "suburbs" here, even if it is actually urban.
more "District" than "DC".....right?

Old 03-20-2018, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
People who live in outstate MN call Mpls/St. Paul metro area "The Cities".
oh, yea, I remember hearing that. But that doesn't work in the M/SP metro area, right? What does a person in Bloomington say to refer to Mpls or StP?

Old 03-20-2018, 06:55 AM

22,379 posts, read 38,708,457 times
Philly is weird especially the northern burbs (say Bucks and Burlington counties in PA and NJ respectively)

People can refer to Philly as the city or more commonly Center City but people do use "city". All while simultaneously using the "city" as Manhattan. Its almost like a different inflection or context and even with the same word most times you understand which one they mean. Those areas of the Philly burbs are pretty close to both Manhattan and Philly so maybe that plays in

On the national context NYC is by far the most commonly recognized. more regionally SF probably next but not on a national context whereas NYC carries that much further across the US

Many locals refer to their core as the city

NYC is the real outlier on this though the popularity of the GS (originally Philadelphia) Warriors has added a bit to the linkage for SF even though the play in the East bay (Oakland has a few originally Philadelphia teams with the Warriors and As (as a quirky tid bit)

Old 03-20-2018, 07:40 AM

574 posts, read 683,928 times
In the Chicago area, we refer to Chicago as the city.

In MSP we say "the cities". Being a transplant I've noticed many people call downtown Minneapolis " downtown", but refer to downtown st Paul as "downtown st paul". I currently live in St Paul and I've noticed my Minneapolis relatives call Minneapolis the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.