Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2008, 09:26 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,244,040 times

Advertisements

What is your opinion on relocation for a relationship? Have you ever done it? Did the relationship work out once you relocated? If not, did you regret moving?

I was so close to packing up and moving 8 hours away for a relationship. That relationship failed before I got a chance to move, but I had a friend who moved clear across the country for a relationship and was back within a month because it failed. I think a lot of people have long distance relationships and try to relocate to make them permanent, then find out things are very different than they seemed. This seems to be more common today with more people meeting online, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2008, 09:33 AM

4,242 posts, read 8,771,530 times
I imported my husband from the West Coast 3 years ago. We were long distance for 2 years before that, after meeting on the internets. We married now, so I'm pretty glad he moved.

Old 03-25-2008, 11:51 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,244,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
I imported my husband from the West Coast 3 years ago. We were long distance for 2 years before that, after meeting on the internets. We married now, so I'm pretty glad he moved.
Its great it worked out for you. I have found through experience that you can think you know and love somebody online but until you have not only met them in person, but spent enough time with them to develop the emotional connection that online-only relationships lack, you don't truly know them.

Old 03-25-2008, 12:28 PM

3,010 posts, read 6,304,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
What is your opinion on relocation for a relationship? Have you ever done it? Did the relationship work out once you relocated? If not, did you regret moving?

I was so close to packing up and moving 8 hours away for a relationship. That relationship failed before I got a chance to move, but I had a friend who moved clear across the country for a relationship and was back within a month because it failed. I think a lot of people have long distance relationships and try to relocate to make them permanent, then find out things are very different than they seemed. This seems to be more common today with more people meeting online, etc.
Yes..I recently moved back to Pa and in with my GF after living 2 hrs apart for almost 5 years. Believe me. Any long distance relationship can take it's toll, be it distance, time wise and financial. Two hours apart compared to a cross country relationship is like comparing apples to oranges, but in the end, many of the same challenges must be encountered.

As for things being different, yes, that can be the case. However, our biggest obstacle was actually getting used to living together since we each were independent for a long time. Plus, sharing space on a permanent basis, getting used to each others personal habits, creating a budget, daily routines, work schedules and TV preferences can create friction initially.

Trust me. Seeing someone for 2-3 days on the weekend is vastly different than living together every single day of the week. You do get on each other's nerves, but if you love one another, I feel all of these aforementioned things can be overcome.

I have no regrets whatsoever. On the same token, our relationship is a lot better than it was prior to my relocation. If one feels it's worth the risk, then take it.

In summation, if it's meant to be, then it will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.