U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 08:15 AM

3,085 posts, read 2,124,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
I don't get this comparison. 50 years ago was 1968. Colorado was already a ski resort area, and had a major city, (of course, Denver). Yes, it was growing like gangbusters, but the comparison to Montana today is a bit odd.

Today, Montana continues to offer several small to mid-sized metro areas, but the growth in Montana today is not anywhere near the growth of Colorado in the late 60's and 70's. Recent growth still shows CO with bigger percentage growth over Montana, though both States are continueing to grow.

I don't see much comparison, except for both States offering a good "divide" between the Rockies and the Plains.
I generally agree but CO was more than ski resorts and Denver 50 years ago as we still had significant mining, heavy manufacturing, a rapidly growing tech sector, national defense (Kennedy had several briefings during the Cuban missle crisis in Colo Spgs), and significant distribution channels going on in the 1960s that set the foundation for what is here today. CO has typically grown by significant double digit figures every decade in the last 100 years while diversifying the economy. MT's growth as barely broken into the double digits and has been flat to negative several decades while still being very dependent on mineral extraction, tourism, and ranching.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2018, 03:51 PM

7,745 posts, read 9,047,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
This. But I only lived there for 10 years.
You can figure that out after a year.

Old 03-21-2018, 06:56 PM

5,563 posts, read 3,709,954 times
I love Montana as a place to visit. I have had close relatives in the State. Missoula is a jewel.

But the comparison to Colorado is somewhat far-fetched, even 50 years ago. TCHP brings up some important points, and I apologize for characterizing CO as ski resorts/Denver. Wasn't my intention of describing CO in 1968. That said, Montana is very little like Colorado of 50 years ago. Montana is still a large rural State, (4th in the US by land area), and most areas are either agricultural or protected forest. There is no large metro area in the State, Billings is the largest, but only about 170K in MSA population, with moderate, but not high growth. My guess is most Montanans like their State just the way it is and don't have any Colorado (or even Idaho or Utah) envy.

Old 03-22-2018, 11:41 AM

5,837 posts, read 10,794,767 times
Agreed with the other posters.

A quick search shows that back in the 60s Denver was already way bigger than any Montana, had a much more diverse economy, and much more tourism than Montana today.

I love the West and love the outdoors, but . . .

Personally I'd rather have to go through a little homework and look at a few maps to figure out where the more remote and roadless areas actually are, and still have a major city with major city amenities and a population of diverse backgrounds from everywhere to create a more welcoming environment for newcomers . . .

than to live in a state where no city is big enough that you can't walk out from the middle of town to ranch land, but have locals trying having suspicions and trying to size you up because you come from a blue state with a large city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or