U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2018, 12:46 PM

7,139 posts, read 9,919,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
Ya know, there is a generation between the Boomers and Generation Y/Millennials. Generation X says a cheery Hello! and wonders why it is ignored once again.

Anyway seriously, this is anecdotal but as a former Queens resident of 30 years I can safely say that the majority of people I know have no desire to live in the city. Very few of the kids I grew up with in the 1980s are still living in Queens or any of the five boroughs. And only a few of my relatives, mostly older ones.

Having said that, there are some however I know, a distinct minority to be sure, who LOVE big dense urban cities.

And that is the point, if you live in a country of 320+ million people, even if only 10% or 20% of the population likes something, that is still 32 or 64 million people. But that still means that the majority do not like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2018, 02:00 PM

503 posts, read 333,079 times
I think that this entire thread is full of a lot of false blanket statements about Millennials. I've read things like *Millennials like to live in compact areas, Millennials don't care about open space and want to live carless, Millenials don't mind having roommates etc* and none of these things are really true. Millenials, such as myself, go where we feel we will have the best opportunity for success. For some that will be a bigger city due to job prospects. For some that will be a smaller area due to purchasing power. There are no universal Millenial truths. As for me, I grew up in DC. Went to college in Virginia and returned to DC after school. While in DC I gained experience in my field and increased my salary. I moved to Baltimore for a while to be closer to where my job was located. I made a few short stops in a couple other big cities along the way. I am now in Richmond, VA and preparing to purchase my first investment property. I am 28. I wouldn't be able to do that if I had stayed in DC. I think that I made the best choice for me and I wouldn't change it for the world. On the other hand, my older brother(also a Millennial) still lives in DC and is preparing to move to Philly. I couldn't pay him to live in Richmond, regardless of how much I have in savings or how much home I can afford here. We Millennials are more of a mixed bag than people give us credit for. There is a thread going on at the exact same time as this that proclaims Millennials are breaking down the door to be in large cities. Which one is it? hahaha

Photos show the extreme lengths millennials will go to live in cities - Business Insider

The American Dream is dead? Article from Nov 2017 -Business Insider

Old 03-29-2018, 02:09 PM

1,991 posts, read 869,870 times
First comment

“Escaping the blacks” wows

Old 03-29-2018, 05:22 PM

6,072 posts, read 3,397,513 times
I am Gen Y (hate the term millennial) and while I am very self critical of my own generation, the generalisations are ridiculous. Guess what? We still drive. I hate being carless. I hate public transport (though I am grateful for it.. I just hate taking it) and not having the freedom of driving. I hate taking it late at night when there might be sketchy people. Why do people think all of us hate owning cars? I have no car cuz my tranny died not by choice.

Also I love living in the city but thats mostly cuz I love MY city. I am not a fan of suburbs unless that suburb has a unique identity to it. I dont like post WW2 suburbia. I like turn of the century homes and established neighbourhoods. I also love the idea of owning a farm when I reach retirement age. My interests are based off my experiences and personalities, not when I was born.

Old 03-29-2018, 06:29 PM

11,456 posts, read 6,605,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
I am Gen Y (hate the term millennial) and while I am very self critical of my own generation, the generalisations are ridiculous. Guess what? We still drive. I hate being carless. I hate public transport (though I am grateful for it.. I just hate taking it) and not having the freedom of driving. I hate taking it late at night when there might be sketchy people. Why do people think all of us hate owning cars? I have no car cuz my tranny died not by choice.

Also I love living in the city but thats mostly cuz I love MY city. I am not a fan of suburbs unless that suburb has a unique identity to it. I dont like post WW2 suburbia. I like turn of the century homes and established neighbourhoods. I also love the idea of owning a farm when I reach retirement age. My interests are based off my experiences and personalities, not when I was born.
People seem to forget that a very large chunk of New Yorkers drive. Even in transit friendly neighborhoods, damn near every parking spot is taken up.

Edit: I thought you were BrooklynJo, but my point still stands

Old 03-29-2018, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
People seem to forget that a very large chunk of New Yorkers drive. Even in transit friendly neighborhoods, damn near every parking spot is taken up.

Edit: I thought you were BrooklynJo, but my point still stands
It’s a good thing you did think it was me cause I was going to comment on that but decided not to.

I was going to point out that you can choose to like to drive and use transit which is what I do.

I’m smart when traveling and drive to areas that are parking friendly which includes meters!

I only drive to manhattan after 6pm!

Old 03-29-2018, 09:33 PM

11,179 posts, read 22,394,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Public transit and the car issue is ALL about where you live and your situation. It works when it does, and when it doesn't a car is the obvious choice to go with. I make 150,000 per year and have no debt, yet in Chicago I have no use for a car and haven't had one in 10-15 years. Not because of money, but simply because I just have no need to, I like walking down the street to the grocery or Target, I take the train to work, it just is what it is.

Old 03-29-2018, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Public transit and the car issue is ALL about where you live and your situation. It works when it does, and when it doesn't a car is the obvious choice to go with. I make 150,000 per year and have no debt, yet in Chicago I have no use for a car and haven't had one in 10-15 years. Not because of money, but simply because I just have no need to, I like walking down the street to the grocery or Target, I take the train to work, it just is what it is.
Ballin!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or