U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-25-2008, 01:20 PM
 
Location: Detroit, MI
4 posts, read 7,910 times
Reputation: 12

Advertisements

I am looking to relocate with my girlfriend. Quick history-Born and raised in Maine. Grew up in a very small town on a beautiful lake 15 mins from the Atlantic. Met my girlfriend in college she was a DI athlete (hockey). Moved here to Detroit to be back with her family. Now I'm stuck in Detroit which if you haven't been watching the news, is in shambles. We are looking to relocate. I have some picky criteria though, would like this to be my last and final move. Looking for gay friendly city, liberal, preferably close to a body of water (I prefer the ocean, she likes the mountains.) I don't mind a little snow but long winters are kicking my butt. Looking for a city atmosphere with the ability to get out and enjoy the outdoors. I know I know, all of this seems like a lot but there is more. I am a teacher and therefore living on a teacher's salary. Yucky but I love it. Any help would be amazing. Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-25-2008, 01:49 PM
 
Location: Chicago
108 posts, read 455,533 times
Reputation: 42
Sounds like a San Francisco scenario would be great if you could afford it.

Or maybe Denver (lots of snow) or Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill (way less snow).

Get out of there while you can, trust me...You won't miss it one bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2008, 01:54 PM
 
246 posts, read 775,935 times
Reputation: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by k.y.j. View Post
I am looking to relocate with my girlfriend. Quick history-Born and raised in Maine. Grew up in a very small town on a beautiful lake 15 mins from the Atlantic. Met my girlfriend in college she was a DI athlete (hockey). Moved here to Detroit to be back with her family. Now I'm stuck in Detroit which if you haven't been watching the news, is in shambles. We are looking to relocate. I have some picky criteria though, would like this to be my last and final move. Looking for gay friendly city, liberal, preferably close to a body of water (I prefer the ocean, she likes the mountains.) I don't mind a little snow but long winters are kicking my butt. Looking for a city atmosphere with the ability to get out and enjoy the outdoors. I know I know, all of this seems like a lot but there is more. I am a teacher and therefore living on a teacher's salary. Yucky but I love it. Any help would be amazing. Thanks so much.
It sounds like Connecticut is your perfect match. You have 4 distinct seasons (very little snowfall compared to Maine and Detroit), minutes to the mountains, minutes to the beaches (Long Island Sound), very gay friendly (we have civil unions, probably gay marriage soon), liberal and well-educated. If you're looking for a city, consider New Haven. It's home to Yale and many other colleges and universities. It does have its share of crime, but nothing compared to Detroit. Also if you're going to be a teacher, Connecticut pays its teachers among the highest salaries in the country.

If you're in New Haven, you're a little over 75 minutes from NYC driving, or you can take the commuter rail (Metro North) for a day in the Big Apple.

Feel free to post again or pvt Message me if you have anymore questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2008, 02:13 PM
 
Location: Phoenix metro
20,005 posts, read 67,960,131 times
Reputation: 10048
If you can handle the cloudiness, Portland, OR, sounds like a good fit for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2008, 02:58 PM
 
1,992 posts, read 5,921,246 times
Reputation: 803
Seattle WA has the mountains and the water, mild winters, liberal/gay friendly atmosphere, and strong economy. The winters are too grey/wet for some people, and the cost of living is high.

Also, there is no NHL team and the hockey scene is non-existant. Although, the Canucks are 3 hours to the north.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2008, 03:11 PM
 
2,502 posts, read 7,885,683 times
Reputation: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsv1496 View Post
Sounds like a San Francisco scenario would be great if you could afford it.

Or maybe Denver (lots of snow) or Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill (way less snow).

Get out of there while you can, trust me...You won't miss it one bit.
I second this post. San Francisco, Denver, and the NC cities are great picks.

Pacific Northwest...maybe. The winters (aka: September through April) are sort of gloomy and dreary. Some people like it, most people don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2008, 03:35 PM
 
845 posts, read 2,428,899 times
Reputation: 519
I think Portland would be great for you. It's more affordable than Seattle and is closer to the coast. It's also only about an hour from the mountains. It is pretty cheap to rent here IMO but def more than Detroit. The city is very liberal and has a large gay population. The winter here is mild to most people but a bit too cold and long for me. And of course it's cloudy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2008, 05:16 PM
 
Location: Southeast Missouri
5,812 posts, read 16,226,894 times
Reputation: 3321
St. Louis is nice, but on a river not a lake or ocean. Winters have snow, but they're not as long as Detroit or Chicago. And there's an NHL team (though not playoff-bound this year, has a bright future). Fairly liberal (though a lot Catholic, too, and fairly gay friendly from what I've heard, but probably not as much as Chicago.) The city has a lot of parks, museums, the zoo, and things to do, also NHL, NFL, MLB, and hopefully MLS soon. St. Louis has issues, though. Crime is a problem in some parts, and you'll probably hear some complaints about the politics of the city/county. City schools aren't good, though, so if you wanted a job it would probably be preferable to get a job outside the city or in one of the private schools/Charter/Magnet schools. And St. Louis is pretty affordable for its size.

Other options...Atlanta maybe? No snow, on the ocean, they have an NHL team. Not sure about how liberal they are. California's nice if you can afford it. Chicago also, but still pretty cold. Colorado also sounds like a decent option, but probably too much snow.

Last edited by STLCardsBlues1989; 03-25-2008 at 05:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2008, 05:27 PM
 
Location: Eastern NC
18,097 posts, read 16,629,431 times
Reputation: 15948
Umm, Atlanta is not near the ocean. Probably at least 4 hours away. I have heard that Asheville is a very liberal gay-friendly area but you will be 6 hours from the coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2008, 05:28 PM
 
1,992 posts, read 5,921,246 times
Reputation: 803
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
St. Louis is nice, but on a river not a lake or ocean. Winters have snow, but they're not as long as Detroit or Chicago. And there's an NHL team (though not playoff-bound this year, has a bright future). Fairly liberal (though a lot Catholic, too, and fairly gay friendly from what I've heard, but probably not as much as Chicago.) The city has a lot of parks, museums, the zoo, and things to do, also NHL, NFL, MLB, and hopefully MLS soon. St. Louis has issues, though.

Other options...Atlanta maybe? No snow, on the ocean, they have an NHL team. Not sure about how liberal they are. California's nice if you can afford it. Chicago also, but still pretty cold. Colorado also sounds like a decent option, but probably too much snow.
Atlanta is 240-odd miles inland from the closest ocean coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top