U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2018, 01:40 AM

1 posts, read 244 times

Advertisements

Hello all! This might get a little long, but please bear with me if you can.

I'm currently in college for firefighting/ems (Bachelors degree), and living in the not so great state of Illinois. I'm graduating next year and have my internship during the spring semester and i'm still looking for my internship location. Originally, I was going to stay in Illinois, but decided that with the lack of nature and ridiculous population (I live in Chicagoland) that I just can't see myself being happy here.

Basically, i'm going to list the types of thing i'm looking for, or what's important to me and i'm hoping some of you might have some insight on what states might be worth looking into, or even getting down to certain cities or towns that you know of.

To start, my major is basically dictating where I live to a certain extent. I have to be in a somewhat populated area so that I can find a job relating to my degree. This isn't to say that I want to live in a big city, because I don't, but populated suburbs are a must due to the fact that fire departments and EMS services don't hire very regularly, and I have to have different options. I typically lean pretty moderate on most things. I'm really looking for a state where I can get back to nature, as well as having a house with some land eventually. I love the North woods, mountains, lakes, and forest in general (I don't need all of these in the same place to be happy). Fishing is a massive hobby for me (Lakes and Rivers where I can eat what I catch without mutating from the pollution is a major plus), as is growing my own food to a certain extent (Just your basic vegetables and such, Knocking out desert states as well). I don't mind snow and winters as I've dealt with it all my life, but I absolutely hate hate hate high humidity... I suppose I could deal with it as long as I was able to go camping, and fishing on my weekends without getting attacked by a water moccasin, and had a lot of other things lined up regarding employment and things to do, state culture, etc..etc... On top of all of this, i'm also a single 19 year old with no family or friends in any other states. I'd at least like to go to a place where I have the option of meeting friendly new people, and having the potential to find relationships and night life within an hour driving distance. I could realistically probably be comfortable with home prices (With at least 2+ acres minimum) in the low 300k range.

I know I can't get everything, and obviously I've made a ton of demands for this new state, but all in all i'm really interested in seeing what states you guys recommend, even if it doesn't have everything listed here. I've already done a lot of research and was originally thinking Minnesota up until today when I learned that St. Paul-Minneapolis has some of the worse crime in the country ranking above Chicago in most cases (Can anyone weigh in regarding whether or not St. Paul-Minneapolis and its suburbs within half an hour are really that dangerous?). Thanks in advance for anyone who took the time to read through that mess! Anything helps!

I should also include that I'm ridiculously tired of the Illinois landscape! Please, no states that are completely flat grasslands and farm fields.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2018, 07:19 AM

21,188 posts, read 30,366,193 times
Look at places like Atlanta (around the northern suburbs like Gainesville or Buford), Chattanooga TN or Greenville-Spartanburg SC.

Old 03-27-2018, 08:53 AM

3,599 posts, read 1,527,009 times
If you want a larger metro, like kyle19125 said, Atlanta would be good in some of its northern suburbs. Charlotte's suburbs (northern/western Gaston, western York, eastern Lincoln counties) would be good as well. Greenville/Spartanburg SC, Knoxville TN, Chattanooga TN, Roanoke VA, and Fayetteville/Springdale AR would be great choices as well. Out west, look at Boise ID and Spokane WA. There's some good, affordable acreage to be found, and there's a good amount of outdoor activities that you like. Good luck in your search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or