U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2018, 01:01 PM

7,280 posts, read 13,548,469 times

Advertisements

No, it's not a bad thing for a city or town to have very few transplants. But it's sure tough to use as a selling point.

"Move to our town! Because nobody moves here!"

Also tough to use it as a reason to move somewhere. "I want to move to a city without any transplants." You can't. Because then it would have transplants.

Bit of a Catch 22.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2018, 01:11 PM

911 posts, read 447,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
Since you're from Atlanta, tell me how has transplants shaped the city either in a good way, bad way or both.
Diversity.

In my department alone everyone is from somewhere else and has lived here at least three years:

India, Poland, Korea, Kenya, Ethiopia, Guyana, Lousiana, South Carolina(myself), Philadelphia, New York City, Denver, Houston, and one lone native Georgian not from Atlanta.

I've learned some much about other cultures by experiencing their food and customs. It opens your mind by meeting and getting to know people from different places. Communities can be created that make a city feel more welcoming. Different groups of people can give a place a bit more character.

Old 03-26-2018, 01:17 PM

2,755 posts, read 1,720,840 times
Quote:
Since you're from Atlanta, tell me how has transplants shaped the city either in a good way, bad way or both.
The influx of new people has largely allowed for the growth and renaissance of many areas of the city, as well as sprouting new industries that either weren't here before or were nascent at best, like television/film and technology. And, although this is considered a large negative to many in the state outside of metro Atlanta, transplants are shifting the political climate of Georgia to make it a much more politically moderate state.

Edit: And, as Columbia Scientist stated above, diversity. It's very refreshing to meet many people from around the nation and the world. Atlanta used to be relatively provincial, but those days are long gone.

Old 03-26-2018, 01:25 PM

1,255 posts, read 646,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTheLiveOaks View Post
No, it's not a bad thing for a city or town to have very few transplants. But it's sure tough to use as a selling point.

"Move to our town! Because nobody moves here!"

Also tough to use it as a reason to move somewhere. "I want to move to a city without any transplants." You can't. Because then it would have transplants.

Bit of a Catch 22.
IMO, I feel that most people feel that if you city doesn't have millions of transplants, it's a s****y city and nothing can't be great about it. It just seems like most Americans make it a bad thing especially if it's not overcrowded and expensive.

Old 03-26-2018, 01:41 PM

14,423 posts, read 26,283,872 times
Quote:
IMO, I feel that most people feel that if you city doesn't have millions of transplants, it's a s****y city and nothing can't be great about it. It just seems like most Americans make it a bad thing especially if it's not overcrowded and expensive.
It's more a function of those cities having fewer opportunities that attract outsiders. Not the lack of outsiders making it where there aren't those opportunities.

And when we discuss those places, we're talking about places like Detroit that, in the 1950s, were chock full of "transplants." Their kids are now "natives."

In almost every Rust Belt metro there are people who were born and raised there, and even their parents were born and raised there, but if you go back to the early 20th century there's often someone who came from Kentucky or Alabama to work in a factory.

Old 03-26-2018, 01:42 PM

2,149 posts, read 1,443,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
This is so true. Without new blood cities wither and die. That new blood can be from domestic migrants moving to a city or from immigrants coming from abroad. People might whine about the newcomers, but in most cases, their cities would be far worse without them. Many of the most vibrant, economically strong, and just plain downright interesting U.S. cities owe much of what makes them what they are to the next generation of residents moving in.

Spot on!!

Old 03-26-2018, 01:45 PM

1,991 posts, read 875,264 times
Transplants are good for many reasons but the only bad thing is that transplants do sort of kill diversity.

Simply because in America people of different races usually go to similar regions when there is a transplant boom like there is in America now!0

So from a diversity perspective I havenít seen the powers of transplants but other than that transplants mean that you live in a city gaining lots of health which is a good thing!

Old 03-26-2018, 01:49 PM

2,149 posts, read 1,443,505 times
Quote:
I think it has shaped it in a good way as far as diversity,,, But and this is a big Buttt.. IMO the Transplants to Atlanta have conformed more with the old culture/spirit of this place than the new cultures conforming Atlanta.. Most tend to stick to their own racial group accept for work, business world or school. If they do mix especially from the immigrant side of thing, it's still by race mostly. That I don't like

Old 03-26-2018, 02:00 PM

14,423 posts, read 26,283,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
I think it has shaped it in a good way as far as diversity,,, But and this is a big Buttt.. IMO the Transplants to Atlanta have conformed more with the old culture/spirit of this place than the new cultures conforming Atlanta.. Most tend to stick to their own racial group accept for work, business world or school. If they do mix especially from the immigrant side of thing, it's still by race mostly. That I don't like
It works the same everywhere.

Immigrants stick with their own. Northern transplants in the Sun Belt tend to congregate in MPCs and live amongst their own. The native Southerners complain about all of them and bemoan the loss of their identity and heritage. That sort of tribalism plays itself out in some form in any place you can find large amounts of people coming in from elsewhere.

Old 03-26-2018, 02:17 PM

1,589 posts, read 736,547 times
Not in my book. Any "new identity" transplants give a city is pretty much the same whitebread hipster vibe from one city to another. For me, the fewer transplants the better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or