U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2018, 11:03 AM

1,234 posts, read 635,440 times

Advertisements

A lot of cities are getting a lot of transplants these days. Some people feel it's a good thing others feel it's a bad thing if a city doesn't get a lot of transplants. Some feel that too many transplants change the local culture, others feel that transplants give cities a new identity. If a city that doesn't get a lot of transplants, is it a bad thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2018, 11:27 AM

2,128 posts, read 1,426,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
A lot of cities are getting a lot of transplants these days. Some people feel it's a good thing others feel it's a bad thing if a city doesn't get a lot of transplants. Some feel that too many transplants change the local culture, others feel that transplants give cities a new identity. If a city that doesn't get a lot of transplants, is it a bad thing?

For me I think it's a bad thing. It cut's the City short of Diversity! When I say diversity I'm not just speaking of the types of people but Diversity in the way an area thinks.. Don't get me wrong it's good to have a nice balance but not having a nice Transplant population keeps an area slow on growth if not losing population and Stagnant at best.

Old 03-26-2018, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
For me I think it's a bad thing. It cut's the City short of Diversity! When I say diversity I'm not just speaking of the types of people but Diversity in the way an area thinks.. Don't get me wrong it's good to have a nice balance but not having a nice Transplant population keeps an area slow on growth if not losing population and Stagnant at best.
Since you're from Atlanta, tell me how has transplants shaped the city either in a good way, bad way or both.

Old 03-26-2018, 12:02 PM

4,839 posts, read 2,973,256 times
I don't think anything is bad, it is what it is. Diversity, sprawl, etc, what makes one thing better than the other? We each have different preferences.

Old 03-26-2018, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I don't think anything is bad, it is what it is. Diversity, sprawl, etc, what makes one thing better than the other? We each have different preferences.
But, you always hear people say that the reason why house are cheaper in some cities because nobody wants to live there, and the reason why homes are sold for hundred-thousands or millions because it's a high demand for that city.

Old 03-26-2018, 12:45 PM

6,052 posts, read 3,377,056 times
No, but its nice to have a range of people from other places but ideally they'd never outnumber the natives. I love the Twin Cities cuz its got a healthy balance, also transplants here adapt to the culture (as opposed to transplants to many southern and western cities.)

Old 03-26-2018, 12:48 PM

6,052 posts, read 3,377,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post

Well sprawl is bad from an environmental standpoint. Hell, I'm ticked off because the city decided to cut down a bunch of mature trees on my street -_- Beautiful tall maples, cut down. Probably gonna put some saplings in April or some crap. I don't get the logic. I bet they're gonna replace them with the same skinny tree in front of my house (dunno the type of tree but its not a maple) ugh. So you can imagine how I feel about bulldozing natural areas for more suburban sprawl.

Old 03-26-2018, 12:49 PM

14,411 posts, read 26,227,262 times
Every city in this country was built on "transplants." Those who quit having people move to them, quit because the economy stopped supporting people moving there.

Old 03-26-2018, 12:50 PM

4,263 posts, read 6,341,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
This is so true. Without new blood cities wither and die. That new blood can be from domestic migrants moving to a city or from immigrants coming from abroad. People might whine about the newcomers, but in most cases, their cities would be far worse without them. Many of the most vibrant, economically strong, and just plain downright interesting U.S. cities owe much of what makes them what they are to the next generation of residents moving in.

Old 03-26-2018, 12:51 PM

4,552 posts, read 5,465,622 times
Many of the people fleeing CA are taking their money with them and enriching their new cities, and then there are the newer CA arrivals eating the tax payers alive. So, it depends on who is coming and going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or