U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2018, 04:00 PM

7,582 posts, read 3,999,195 times

Advertisements

Really none of these suggestions to include the ones I made have a downtown area like Greenville's downtown.

For me, cities like Chattanooga and Knoxville on large rivers have a completely different vibe than Greenville.

Here's the main drag in downtown Nooga, Market Street. https://www.google.com/maps/@35.0522...7i13312!8i6656

That doesn't look similar to Main Street in Greenville.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 04-01-2018 at 04:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2018, 06:14 PM

358 posts, read 149,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
I just looked up both metro area figures, and it looks like Asheville has just under 450,000 (2017), while Greenville's metro area has about 900,000 (2017). So the Greenville metro is twice as big, population-wise, as Asheville. Greenville's city limit population is tiny for a metro area that large.

I prefer Greenville to Asheville, just for affordability. But as some folks mentioned, I'd look at Chattanooga (metro 550k), Knoxville (metro 875k), Lexington, KY (510k), and Huntsville, AL (460k).
For the 900k definition, they are also including places such as Spartanburg and Anderson,w hich are some distance (esp. Anderson) from Greenville.

Old 04-01-2018, 06:32 PM

5,122 posts, read 3,881,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDFan View Post
For the 900k definition, they are also including places such as Spartanburg and Anderson,w hich are some distance (esp. Anderson) from Greenville.
No, Spartanburg is not included in that. Anderson County has enough commuters and Greenville's sprawl has spilled into Anderson County. Anderson and Spartanburg are also the same distance from Greenville, and they're only a few more miles apart than Raleigh and Durham.

Old 04-02-2018, 12:24 PM

49 posts, read 33,073 times
Wow thank you everyone for all of the info. Unfortunately the large majority of NC does not have Comcast service, we too were thinking the Greensboro area would be nice but unfortunately it wonít work. We have looked into Chattanooga more so after reading this thread but it is hard to gather information from the internet so if anyone else has anything on good neighborhoods to live in or generall overall feel of the city that would be helpful.

I donít know a ton about Knonxville, does anyone think one of those cities would be better to live in, in terms of good restaurants, safety, things to do outside, COL, etc?

We also have looked into savannah ga, based on other recommendations, knowing that it isnít all that similar to Greenville but seems like a nice city on the coast with a small town feel?

Any other info is greatly appreciated!

Old 04-02-2018, 03:28 PM

I think Savannah is pretty similar to Greenville in that it has a quaint walkable downtown with a lot of trees and parks.

I expect the cost of living is pretty step in Savannah though.

I would probably go with Knoxville over Nooga because it is closer to the Great Smoky Mountains. I think it is more similar to Greenville than Knoxville in as far as the aesthetics of the downtown area.

Old 04-02-2018, 05:42 PM

29,905 posts, read 27,355,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
I think Savannah is pretty similar to Greenville in that it has a quaint walkable downtown with a lot of trees and parks.
That is a similarity in the broadest of contexts which doesn't amount to much; it's practically like saying New Orleans is similar to Lynchburg, VA because they are both in the South.

Sure both Greenville and Savannah are walkable but the experience on foot is so very different in each city's downtown. The climate, landscape, aura, etc are almost like polar opposites. You can enjoy the downtown experience in both but in very different ways (and in Savannah, in a couple more ways). In downtown Greenville, Main Street is obviously the focal point, the spine of downtown. You can branch off from there for maybe like two blocks or so at certain punctures (and more development is happening on the side streets), but you will inevitably find yourself back on Main and understandably so; it's just a darn pleasant street to stroll with historic buildings serving as the backdrop for several well-designed, complimentary, modern structures and it's not short stroll either. It's pretty, clean, family-friendly (Falls Park plays a big role there), and fun. It's almost like a charming New England town was picked up and planted in the SC foothills. You breath in that crisp air and take in the surrounding topography and you can tell you're a good bit inland.

By contrast, downtown Savannah has a bigger, more developed footprint without any one singular focal point. Bull Street is the city's main street but it isn't the undisputed star of the show by any means. As a matter of fact, it is only just now reaching its full potential with lots of new retail in rehabbed historic storefronts, giving it a King Street-type vibe. If any street is the headliner in downtown Savannah, it would be River Street which I like to think of as Savannah's version of Bourbon Street but right along the river. The drinks are flowing, the air is humid and sultry, and it can get festive but at the same time, you can also just sit on a bench and take in the view of the Savannah River. But to me, the stars of the show are those historic squares. You turn one corner and hit one, take in the surrounding gorgeous historic architecture, rest a bit in the shade provided by those moss-draped oaks, learn a bit about the person being honored in the square with a handsome statue, then turn another corner and...another square. Then another...and another...and you're just encouraged to wander and see what's next. You see all the rowhouses and wonder for a minute if you might have gotten confused and wound up in Alexandria or Annapolis instead. You notice how SCAD is so intertwined into the urban fabric of downtown. Then you walk through Colonial Park Cemetery and read the headstones of those buried there and wonder what the Savannah of their time might have been like. You can tour the historic churches (the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist is awesome, especially around Christmastime) or the historic houses of which there are many. You can venture down to Forsyth Park and experience that dramatic entrance...or go back towards River Street but take a tour by hearse first. And of course, you can get a real good meal there too.

Both downtowns are quite enjoyable but there's a depth to the experience in Savannah that you don't get in Greenville. With all the history, the statues and monuments, the cemeteries, the aged oak trees (and the Palmetto trees serving as "accents" is a nice touch)--you just get the sense that somebody has been here before you...and somebody before that person...and so on. And it's just palpable that the Savannah experienced today is literally the product of generations and generations that have all had a hand in shaping and molding the city into what it is now. And then you may hear the ghost of a child who died over 150 years ago from an epidemic that swept the city whisper something in your ear...but then you realize you just have a really good buzz LOL.

Quote:
I expect the cost of living is pretty step in Savannah though.
If you want to live in a nice place in the historic district I would imagine so but otherwise, it's reasonable.

Old 04-02-2018, 06:47 PM

49 posts, read 33,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
That is a similarity in the broadest of contexts which doesn't amount to much; it's practically like saying New Orleans is similar to Lynchburg, VA because they are both in the South.

Sure both Greenville and Savannah are walkable but the experience on foot is so very different in each city's downtown. The climate, landscape, aura, etc are almost like polar opposites. You can enjoy the downtown experience in both but in very different ways (and in Savannah, in a couple more ways). In downtown Greenville, Main Street is obviously the focal point, the spine of downtown. You can branch off from there for maybe like two blocks or so at certain punctures (and more development is happening on the side streets), but you will inevitably find yourself back on Main and understandably so; it's just a darn pleasant street to stroll with historic buildings serving as the backdrop for several well-designed, complimentary, modern structures and it's not short stroll either. It's pretty, clean, family-friendly (Falls Park plays a big role there), and fun. It's almost like a charming New England town was picked up and planted in the SC foothills. You breath in that crisp air and take in the surrounding topography and you can tell you're a good bit inland.

By contrast, downtown Savannah has a bigger, more developed footprint without any one singular focal point. Bull Street is the city's main street but it isn't the undisputed star of the show by any means. As a matter of fact, it is only just now reaching its full potential with lots of new retail in rehabbed historic storefronts, giving it a King Street-type vibe. If any street is the headliner in downtown Savannah, it would be River Street which I like to think of as Savannah's version of Bourbon Street but right along the river. The drinks are flowing, the air is humid and sultry, and it can get festive but at the same time, you can also just sit on a bench and take in the view of the Savannah River. But to me, the stars of the show are those historic squares. You turn one corner and hit one, take in the surrounding gorgeous historic architecture, rest a bit in the shade provided by those moss-draped oaks, learn a bit about the person being honored in the square with a handsome statue, then turn another corner and...another square. Then another...and another...and you're just encouraged to wander and see what's next. You see all the rowhouses and wonder for a minute if you might have gotten confused and wound up in Alexandria or Annapolis instead. You notice how SCAD is so intertwined into the urban fabric of downtown. Then you walk through Colonial Park Cemetery and read the headstones of those buried there and wonder what the Savannah of their time might have been like. You can tour the historic churches (the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist is awesome, especially around Christmastime) or the historic houses of which there are many. You can venture down to Forsyth Park and experience that dramatic entrance...or go back towards River Street but take a tour by hearse first. And of course, you can get a real good meal there too.

Both downtowns are quite enjoyable but there's a depth to the experience in Savannah that you don't get in Greenville. With all the history, the statues and monuments, the cemeteries, the aged oak trees (and the Palmetto trees serving as "accents" is a nice touch)--you just get the sense that somebody has been here before you...and somebody before that person...and so on. And it's just palpable that the Savannah experienced today is literally the product of generations and generations that have all had a hand in shaping and molding the city into what it is now. And then you may hear the ghost of a child who died over 150 years ago from an epidemic that swept the city whisper something in your ear...but then you realize you just have a really good buzz LOL.

If you want to live in a nice place in the historic district I would imagine so but otherwise, it's reasonable.
Thank you so much for taking the time to delve into both cities downtown district. While Greenville is not an portion, Savannah is still up there- do you have any information about Knoxville or Chattanooga?

Thank you!

Old 04-02-2018, 07:04 PM

I never said Greenville and Savannah are exactly alike. My point is if a person liked the trees and parks incorporated in the downtown area of Greenville, you might like Savannah more than some of the other recommendations. I like Nooga but I don't think its downtown has an asthestic similar to Greenville's downtown. I think Savannah is closer in that regard.

Greenville has a huge cemetery right on Main Street. It is the oldest municipal cemetery in the state and many of Greenville famous residents are buried there. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Springwood_Cemetery
Springwood Cemetery | Greenville, SC - Official Website The downtown has numerous old churches with interesting architecture.

Every city has history and Greenville has old restored storefronts. That's a huge part of its appeal to me. It is not a bunch of modern office buildings with some retail / restaurant tenants on the first floor.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 04-02-2018 at 08:06 PM..

Old 04-04-2018, 10:30 AM

29,905 posts, read 27,355,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Greensboro imo is still the closest thing you're gonna get to Greenville overall if you want to stay in that tier. Yes they are not literal fraternal twins, but I don't know any two cities that are, and it's moot anyway if they don't have Comcast, in which case Knoxville would be a good look. And I meant undeveloped, not unincorporated.
I'm going to have to give you a bit more credit here from the perspective of jobs. This is a neat tool from the NYT where you can determine which city/metro is most similar to another in terms of their jobs mix. For Greenville, Greensboro is its second-most similar metro after...Louisville (which was pretty surprising). Chattanooga is the fourth-most similar metro.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...itys-twin.html

Old 04-04-2018, 01:35 PM

Greenville routinely makes top 10, top 20 lists for engineering hub cities. I have never seen Greensboro on those lists. Greenville has a lot of design engineering firms that have offices and competitors in Raleigh and Charlotte but not Greensboro and Winston Salem.

Out of the suggested cities in this thread, I would say Huntsville is the most similar to Greenville because it is always on the engineering hub city lists. Knoxville would probably be the 2nd most similar, especially if the Oak Ridge area is included.

As far as look goes, I would say W-S is more similar to Greenville than Greensboro, and it is closer to Pilot Mountain and some other good hiking areas than Greensboro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or