U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2018, 11:33 PM

7,587 posts, read 4,011,810 times

Advertisements

I'm not much of a shopper but Greenville tends to get stuff that many of these suggested cities do not get.

For example, Greenville has an Apple store, but Chattanooga, Asheville, Savannah, Roanoke do not. Huntsville, Knoxville, Augusta, and the north Atlanta burbs have an Apple store. Columbia could support one but its middle class population is kind of spread out.

Greenville is getting a TopGolf. Huntsville and the north ATL burbs are the only suggestions that have a TopGolf.

Greenville has a Dave and Buster's...only Columbia and ATL have one out of the suggestion cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2018, 04:58 AM

49 posts, read 33,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
As the OP mentioned, NC cities don't have Comcast. It might be better to do an Asheville vs Greenville discussion on another topic. Some of the comments made about Greenville in relation to Asheville don't make any sense to me.

Another idea is Augusta GA and nearby Aiken SC. Both have a good number of trees in their downtown area and relatively low cost of living cities.

Many of the roads in downtown Aiken have wide grass medians with trees. It is pretty unique. Aiken is a small city but it popular with retirees, and there are a lot of young people in town with SC's largest employer, the Department of Energy's Savannah River Site nearby. Aiken has one of the largest urban forests in a downtown area, Hitchcock Woods. It is 2100 acres and 2.5 times bigger than Central Park in NYC. Aiken is also a big horse town and has at least one horse race every year.

Augusta's downtown is right on the Savannah River like Savannah and it has a nice riverfront park. North Augusta SC right is right across the river. It has a nice greenway trail.

In some ways, Augusta seems the most similar to Greenville but a greater distance from the mountains. It is more hilly than you would think. Augusta is near a great lake that kind of flies under the radar, Clark Hill Lake / Lake Thurmond (same lake but different names in GA and SC respectively). Hickory Knob State Park is a great resort like state park on Lake Thurmond with a boat ramp and a golf course and cabins and hotel rooms.

I think Columbia is worth checking out too. It has an underrated downtown area, a great zoo and riverfront park. You can float down the Saluda River from Irmo a nearby suburb into downtown. It has a little whitewater. Columbia also has a great lake, Lake Murray, out in the Lexington / Irmo area. Lexington is a decent small town.

Awesome, those are a couple places we hadnít yet considered. We did look into Columbia except it doesnít have Comcast unfortunately. I will definitely be taking a deeper look at Aiken or Augusta as we want somewhere with a downtown with lots to do but doesnít feel like a large city. Both of those places sound great, thanks again.

Old 08-03-2018, 01:53 PM

3,382 posts, read 862,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtmountain05 View Post
Hello,
My partner and I are looking to relocate and we fell in love with the Greenville area in South Carolina, however it does not have Comcast service, which is where he works. If any one has any knowledge of towns/cities in the U.S with similar features, weather/climate, COL, and amenities as Greenville please list them below.
Thank you!
Dallas, GA. Atlanta is a Comcast territory. Lots of nice little towns to the north and west.

Old 08-05-2018, 06:17 PM

284 posts, read 165,722 times
I canít imagine any city looking like Greenville. We visited last August. Most beautiful city Iíve ever seen

Old 08-06-2018, 08:52 PM

3,382 posts, read 862,009 times
Quote:
I'm not much of a shopper but Greenville tends to get stuff that many of these suggested cities do not get.

For example, Greenville has an Apple store, but Chattanooga, Asheville, Savannah, Roanoke do not. Huntsville, Knoxville, Augusta, and the north Atlanta burbs have an Apple store. Columbia could support one but its middle class population is kind of spread out.

Greenville is getting a TopGolf. Huntsville and the north ATL burbs are the only suggestions that have a TopGolf.

Greenville has a Dave and Buster's...only Columbia and ATL have one out of the suggestion cities.
Greenville is getting to be a major tech hub.

Old 08-06-2018, 09:05 PM

42 posts, read 53,496 times
Charlotte, NC.

Old 08-07-2018, 12:19 AM

29,946 posts, read 27,406,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
Greenville is getting to be a major tech hub.
Major tech hubs are SV, Boston, Austin, the NC Triangle, etc. Greenville isn't coming close to approaching that status at all.

Old 08-07-2018, 10:16 AM

Greenville is a major engineering hub.

Bloomberg recently had this article about Greenville becoming the startup Silicon Valley of the South as well. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/featu...y-of-the-south

Old 08-07-2018, 01:19 PM

29,946 posts, read 27,406,003 times
Quote:
Greenville is a major engineering hub.
Yes, engineering is one of Greenville's strong suits. But it's very misleading to say it's becoming one of the nation's major tech hubs.

Quote:
Bloomberg recently had this article about Greenville becoming the startup Silicon Valley of the South as well. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/featu...y-of-the-south
It seems like at this point, what city hasn't been dubbed something similar? I'm just not a fan of the overuse of the SV name and brand in general, especially since SV represents the convergence of a specific set of factors in a particular place which simply can't be replicated elsewhere. That aside, this is really good press for Greenville and it's good to see the region continuing to build on what it already has. I hope the state begins to invest more in its research universities and shifts more towards tech-based industries as a significant part of its economic development strategy.

Old 08-07-2018, 01:28 PM

The article was more about startups, not the SV name.

You haven't provided any evidence that the state hasn't invested in its research universities. I think SC taxpayers would disagree with you on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or