U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-13-2018, 05:33 AM
sub
Status: "Feeling suspicious" (set 6 days ago)
 
802 posts, read 415,851 times
Reputation: 1370

Advertisements

Reservations can be pretty rough in many parts of the country.
Many rural areas of the south have their share of violent crime. It can be a tough-guy culture regardless of race. Some of the highest crime rates and homicide rates in the country are in places like eastern Arkansas, where it's completely small towns and rural farm areas.
Mississippi, Tennessee, Louisiana, Texas, Alabama...
If I wanted to live in a rural area and feel safer, I'd look to the upper midwest or something. Not perfect, but not as freaky.
We live in an isolated town in the Ozarks, and felt just as safe if not safer in the big cities we lived in.
Winter's Bone is a very good snapshot of Ozark life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-13-2018, 05:46 AM
 
Location: North Dakota
7,745 posts, read 9,047,244 times
Reputation: 11153
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
Reservations can be pretty rough in many parts of the country.
Many rural areas of the south have their share of violent crime. It can be a tough-guy culture regardless of race. Some of the highest crime rates and homicide rates in the country are in places like eastern Arkansas, where it's completely small towns and rural farm areas.
Mississippi, Tennessee, Louisiana, Texas, Alabama...
If I wanted to live in a rural area and feel safer, I'd look to the upper midwest or something. Not perfect, but not as freaky.
We live in an isolated town in the Ozarks, and felt just as safe if not safer in the big cities we lived in.
Winter's Bone is a very good snapshot of Ozark life.
There are parts of the South that do seem sketchy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Here in NY the reservations seem pretty nice. The one out by Salamanca is the one I have the most experience with.

Never got a ghetto vibe from them. Poor perhaps? But not violent.
Come visit one west of the Mississippi. Most are pretty bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2018, 05:54 AM
 
Location: North Beach, MD on the Chesapeake
33,921 posts, read 42,185,115 times
Reputation: 43330
Since most of you only know about rural areas from this it's time to watch it again:


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsC4kf6x_Q0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2018, 12:30 PM
 
Location: Franklin County PA
252 posts, read 119,409 times
Reputation: 164
As a sort of response to the post above , I'd like to state that I grew up in Sussex County Delaware , which was home to a few rough and rowdy bars frequented by outlaw bikers . Some of those bars were notorious for the amount of fights that broke out in them , yet I wouldn't say the area had a culture of violence as a whole .

I'm currently living in a rural area of Franklin County PA at the present time and this place is rather peaceful as well , which is the main reason I'm asking about violent rural areas , because I've simply never lived in them .

In short I'm not some sheltered suburbanite , just a curious man used to rather peaceful rural areas .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2018, 12:52 PM
 
Location: Appalachian New York, Formerly Louisiana
4,102 posts, read 4,743,366 times
Reputation: 5374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionel Fauquier View Post
As a sort of response to the post above , I'd like to state that I grew up in Sussex County Delaware , which was home to a few rough and rowdy bars frequented by outlaw bikers . Some of those bars were notorious for the amount of fights that broke out in them , yet I wouldn't say the area had a culture of violence as a whole .

I'm currently living in a rural area of Franklin County PA at the present time and this place is rather peaceful as well , which is the main reason I'm asking about violent rural areas , because I've simply never lived in them .

In short I'm not some sheltered suburbanite , just a curious man used to rather peaceful rural areas .
I'll back you up by stating that while I did point out some of the rough edges of upstate NY I've personally witnessed, I did not mean to imply that every rural corner of NY is this way.

As for that post we are both replying to, some people on City-Data seem to think that any talk of negative rural stereotypes existing is exclusively fictitious. The "I've never seen it therefor it doesn't happen" mentality.

Well the crazy lady who shot at me in a trailer park when I was a kid because I dared to pet her cat absolutely existed and it absolutely happened in rural NY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2018, 07:05 AM
 
Location: North Beach, MD on the Chesapeake
33,921 posts, read 42,185,115 times
Reputation: 43330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionel Fauquier View Post
As a sort of response to the post above , I'd like to state that I grew up in Sussex County Delaware , which was home to a few rough and rowdy bars frequented by outlaw bikers . Some of those bars were notorious for the amount of fights that broke out in them , yet I wouldn't say the area had a culture of violence as a whole .

I'm currently living in a rural area of Franklin County PA at the present time and this place is rather peaceful as well , which is the main reason I'm asking about violent rural areas , because I've simply never lived in them .

In short I'm not some sheltered suburbanite , just a curious man used to rather peaceful rural areas .
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
I'll back you up by stating that while I did point out some of the rough edges of upstate NY I've personally witnessed, I did not mean to imply that every rural corner of NY is this way.

As for that post we are both replying to, some people on City-Data seem to think that any talk of negative rural stereotypes existing is exclusively fictitious. The "I've never seen it therefor it doesn't happen" mentality.

Well the crazy lady who shot at me in a trailer park when I was a kid because I dared to pet her cat absolutely existed and it absolutely happened in rural NY.
I know both of you grew up in rural areas but look at how many people didn't and truly seem like they get their knowledge of the hinterlands from either Norman Rockwell or Deliverance. Go over on to the Rural Living forum and read though the multiple threads started by one poster titled on the order of My Rural Observations Part whatever. All he does is ***** and he's been in the rural area for almost a decade and still hasn't adjusted.

I've mentioned many times about the people who move to my area and complain about the farmers, the boats (right by the Chesapeake), the lack of boutiques and trendy restaurants, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2018, 01:26 PM
 
Location: Appalachian New York, Formerly Louisiana
4,102 posts, read 4,743,366 times
Reputation: 5374
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I know both of you grew up in rural areas but look at how many people didn't and truly seem like they get their knowledge of the hinterlands from either Norman Rockwell or Deliverance. Go over on to the Rural Living forum and read though the multiple threads started by one poster titled on the order of My Rural Observations Part whatever. All he does is ***** and he's been in the rural area for almost a decade and still hasn't adjusted.

I've mentioned many times about the people who move to my area and complain about the farmers, the boats (right by the Chesapeake), the lack of boutiques and trendy restaurants, etc.
My problem is with both extremes. Not just the urban folk who cannot adjust themselves but insist on buying up country land anyhow; but also the urban arm-chair expert who thinks the country side is always a peaceful Utopian place and angry rednecks are a thing of fiction and times long passed (or, conversely, think the country side is nothing but angry rednecks and murderers).

I've mentioned this before but Deliverance has a reach beyond its subject matter. Most people who make their assumptions of rural life, particularly southern rural life, have never, ever, ever, never, ever-never actually seen the film all the way through, if at all apart from clips.

Deliverance show-cases more positive than it does negative in relation to its rural portrayal. In fact, it makes a point of showing that a lot of the bad stuff happens because the city-boy is a careless macho jerk.

People don't know that. They only know banjo-kid and the rapists. Which sounds like a neo-punk band.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2018, 01:35 PM
 
2,797 posts, read 1,649,695 times
Reputation: 2033
Eastern Kentucky
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2018, 07:30 PM
 
Location: Franklin County PA
252 posts, read 119,409 times
Reputation: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I know both of you grew up in rural areas but look at how many people didn't and truly seem like they get their knowledge of the hinterlands from either Norman Rockwell or Deliverance. Go over on to the Rural Living forum and read though the multiple threads started by one poster titled on the order of My Rural Observations Part whatever. All he does is ***** and he's been in the rural area for almost a decade and still hasn't adjusted.

I've mentioned many times about the people who move to my area and complain about the farmers, the boats (right by the Chesapeake), the lack of boutiques and trendy restaurants, etc.

Yeah you've actually made a good point with this post . This is a bit off topic , but has Calvert County retained a good bit of its rural character as compared to 50 years ago ? I'm not particularly familiar with the Western Shore of MD , however I have talked to longtime Prince George's County residents who have said that PGC has essentially lost all of the rural character it had back in the 60s .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2018, 07:34 PM
 
Location: North Beach, MD on the Chesapeake
33,921 posts, read 42,185,115 times
Reputation: 43330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionel Fauquier View Post
Yeah you've actually made a good point with this post . This is a bit off topic , but has Calvert County retained a good bit of its rural character as compared to 50 years ago ? I'm not particularly familiar with the Western Shore of MD , however I have talked to longtime Prince George's County residents who have said that PGC has essentially lost all of the rural character it had back in the 60s .

It's hanging by a thread. Lots of White Flight from PG, lots of McMansions, the owners of which sued farmers until the County passed a Right to Farm law. Population went from 28K in 1980 to about 90K now.

The Beaches have transitioned to year round residents with all that entails, from demand for shoppes, to complaints about watermen and their "ugly" boats pulling pots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top