U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2018, 02:18 PM

252 posts, read 118,505 times

Advertisements

I'm sure everyone has heard about certain urban areas where a so called " culture " of violence exists , especially as it relates to street gangs and such , which is why I thought it'd be interesting to kick off a thread about this phenomenon's rural equivalents ( if any ) .

For my part I've been to ( as well as heard of ) several bars in rural areas that were/are frequented by rough and rowdy types , yet I haven't really read or heard about rural areas that have pronounced issues with violence .

Of course I've seen a few sensationalist documentaries , like that one about a well known step dancing family in southern West Virginia , but such productions can hardly be taken seriously .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2018, 03:48 PM

37 posts, read 21,375 times
Albuquerque, NM

Old 03-29-2018, 01:03 AM

570 posts, read 390,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionel Fauquier View Post
I'm sure everyone has heard about certain urban areas where a so called " culture " of violence exists , especially as it relates to street gangs and such , which is why I thought it'd be interesting to kick off a thread about this phenomenon's rural equivalents ( if any ) .
The only place that comes to mind for me is Skidmore, Missouri, even though it might not be violent today. I'm fascinated with Skidmore because a branch of my great-grandmother's family has lived there for more than 100 years. It's a small town of about 300 people in northern Missouri near the Missouri, Iowa, Nebraska and Kansas lines.

Skidmore became famous and made international headline in the 1980's for the murder of Ken McElroy, the town bully. McElroy terrorized the town for more than a decade. When McElroy shot and wounded the old man who owned the town's general store and the police did nothing, the people of Skidmore took justice into their own hands (vigilante justice). It's estimated that more than a dozen men from Skidmore gunned down McElroy in broad daylight one Saturday afternoon on Main Street. But no one, including nearly 50 witnesses, saw anything.

The FBI investigated McElroy's murder but was never able to solve it. Everyone in town kept their mouths shut and protected their neighbors. The murder is still unsolved more than 30 years later.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_McElroy

Old 03-29-2018, 04:06 AM

28 posts, read 27,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDM66 View Post
The only place that comes to mind for me is Skidmore, Missouri, even though it might not be violent today. I'm fascinated with Skidmore because a branch of my great-grandmother's family has lived there for more than 100 years. It's a small town of about 300 people in northern Missouri near the Missouri, Iowa, Nebraska and Kansas lines.

Skidmore became famous and made international headline in the 1980's for the murder of Ken McElroy, the town bully. McElroy terrorized the town for more than a decade. When McElroy shot and wounded the old man who owned the town's general store and the police did nothing, the people of Skidmore took justice into their own hands (vigilante justice). It's estimated that more than a dozen men from Skidmore gunned down McElroy in broad daylight one Saturday afternoon on Main Street. But no one, including nearly 50 witnesses, saw anything.

The FBI investigated McElroy's murder but was never able to solve it. Everyone in town kept their mouths shut and protected their neighbors. The murder is still unsolved more than 30 years later.

It's rare that reading a Wikipedia article makes me smile, usually they are depressing, this one ended like a good movie.
You reap what you sow.
I have never heard of this story, thanks for sharing.

Old 03-29-2018, 07:05 AM

4,220 posts, read 2,503,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDM66 View Post

There was a similar situation on the outskirts of Helena, MT a few years ago. A neighbor dispute "up in the hills" (a place that we as utility employees were not allowed to go by ourselves. The area is known for having weird people) ended with one man missing. He was later found by the US Forest Service, cut up in pieces, on the pass out of town. None of the neighbors are talking. One man was arrested for tampering with some cameras the police set up.

It's one of those situations where everyone in town knows what happened, we just didn't know the particular details.

Helena-area death has many question marks left | Montana News | billingsgazette.com

Man accused of tampering with evidence in Crites murder investigation asks to move case out of Helena | Crime and Courts | helenair.com

Old 03-29-2018, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smith33 View Post
Albuquerque, NM

Albuquerque isn't rural though ...

Or did you mean to refer to certain rural areas surrounding Albuquerque ?

Old 03-29-2018, 02:10 PM

Are there any rural areas left in the United States where low level family/clan feuds still occur ? I watched a movie titled " The World Made Great " or something like that not too long ago , which deals with that topic , which is mainly why this topic popped into my head .

Also are there any rural areas where people getting shot as a result of ( say ) a bar room dispute is a fairly common occurrence ?

Old 03-30-2018, 12:29 PM

292 posts, read 125,540 times
Cut and Shoot, Texas? No kidding...an actual town about an hour+ north of Houston. I can just imagine the bar room brawls there....many moons ago, there were a couple of bar fights that ended it a small shoot out in a burb of Tyler, Texas. No one got hurt, more theatre than actual action.....

Detroit, Michigan ( proper, not the metroplex areas.) falls into that definition of violence.

Certain hoods in Baltimore, south side of Chicago, south side hoods of Dallas fall into that definition also. St. Louis as well.....

This does not mean the whole area of said city, just certain hoods, or areas with extremely high rates of violent crime..

Old 03-30-2018, 01:23 PM

13,236 posts, read 24,412,267 times
Fairly isolated (minimum 1+ hour from bigger city) cities/towns of <30K would have families/clans as OP described.

Old 03-30-2018, 01:48 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,732,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionel Fauquier View Post
Are there any rural areas left in the United States where low level family/clan feuds still occur ?
OH YEAH! Absolutely.

Right here in NY state, even. Parts of rural Steuben county are notorious for a few "family feuds" that can come to violence. Same goes for an area in the hills just east of Ithaca.

In the northeastern corner of my own county, Schuyler, redneck brawling (as some call it) is not an un-common occurrence, especially on the dirt roads where a lot of the "off the grid" types live. Especially around Hector/Burdett. In this area there's a lot of strong political differences that tend to break out in confrontation, given the right adversaries. It's a very natively conservative area where highly liberal Ithacans from Tompkins county like to buy homes. Do the math, yanno?

In fact I have been personally involved in a feud by association that, to not name personal names, takes place around Townsend/Beaver Dams. The sort where drunken half-toothed idiots will stumble to the neighbors home and start a fight by throwing beer bottles at the front door...

Another one I was part of as a kid happened in a trailer park (surprise) we lived in by Tyrone, NY. A neighbor's kid accused me of stomping his dad's tomato garden (I didn't) and it took off from there. Our fathers came to blows, the kid pulled a knife on me a couple times; goooood times! :I
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or