U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2018, 09:17 PM

11,172 posts, read 22,366,973 times

Advertisements

I didn't know flat was thought of as a bad thing?!

one of my favorite somewhat overlooked aspects of Chicago is that it's so flat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2018, 11:57 PM

7,131 posts, read 9,901,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms12345 View Post
No mud slides
That is true and it is funny you said that because I saw a house today on Long Island that is perched on the top of a steep hill and the back yard falls steeply into a valley. Now that hill has probably been there for a long time but I am glad I do not live there LOL.

Still I much prefer areas that have some hills then areas that are completely flat. Completely flat is boring imo.

Old 04-11-2018, 02:02 AM

4,812 posts, read 4,993,214 times
Unintended Post

Old 04-11-2018, 02:07 AM

4,812 posts, read 4,993,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post

MrJester: In defense of Sacramento, while it isn't the most scenic city, I think it could certainly do worse...

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.5793...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.5822...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.5781...7i13312!8i6656

Dry, I suppose, but hardly ugly. And the fact that it is dry means that temperatures that are hot don't feel excessive even in summer, and it cools down at night. I would guess most people, if they experienced it, would rank Sacramento's year round climate among the Top 10 in the country. I don't have a dog in the fight, but I have never been able to fathom how people dog that city so much. Super underrated, especially when you consider what people have at their disposal within two hours or so.
Good on ya Mate about Sacramento.

Sacramento gets a bad rap from SoCal and the Bay Area, it always has. We call them Coastal Snobs,

Sacramento is consistently rated one of the top fittest cities in the nation.

Sacramento gets 3 times the rain as many parts of SoCal. Sacramento is not barren, it is full of trees, more tress than any spot anywhere in SoCal. The Valley Oak is a beautiful 100foot tall tree with 100 foot canopy and it is Native to the Sacramento Valley.

Sacramento has a Mediterranean Climate, as does Spain, the South of France, Israel, well, the entire Mediterranean.

Sacramento is an excellent biking town, we have the American River Bike trail that is on both sides of the river linking Sac with Folsom Lake, which has plenty of big hills, its a 20 mile gradual uphill climb to about 500 feet. Sacramento has a lot more fresh water recreation than SoCal or Denver.

From Sacramento, I can be at a Pacific Ocean Beach, surfing, in under 2 hours, better yet, I can raft down Sacramento's American River in the heart of Sacramento, or in 1 hour I can be in a Mountain Forest at 6000 feet at one of hundreds of Alpine Lakes in the Sierra Nevada Mts, or the biggest, Lake Tahoe in less than 2. In Winter, Tahoe as world-class ski resorts, the closest ski resort to my Sacramento home 1hr, 20mins.

Old 04-11-2018, 05:50 AM

7,724 posts, read 9,021,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I didn't know flat was thought of as a bad thing?!

one of my favorite somewhat overlooked aspects of Chicago is that it's so flat.
If you go to Montana it is. Anything flat is ugly and desolate.

Old 04-11-2018, 07:32 AM

23,059 posts, read 35,012,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
If you go to Montana it is. Anything flat is ugly and desolate.
I can think of a lot of flat areas in the US that I find mesmerizing.

Cape Cod area
Chesapeake Bay area
Outer Banks of NC
SC and GA Low Country and Barrier Islands
Okefenokee Swamp
FL's Biscayne Bay, Keys, Southwest Coast, Emerald Coast
LA Bayou Country

Many of the flat areas in the country compensate with beautiful water features.

Old 04-11-2018, 08:00 AM

2,000 posts, read 1,015,925 times
Flat can be beautiful....tall grasses waving in the wind, as far as the eye can see, is one of my favorite views in the world. I love both, and there are advantages to both, whether people will admit it, or not.

Old 04-11-2018, 09:45 AM

5,616 posts, read 3,936,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
In my hilly city, a large percentage of streets, etc., allow views down to water, plus hills and mountains. Try doing that from a few blocks inland in Chicago unless you're in a building.
Oh, wow! That's so impressive!!!!

Let us know when your "hilly city" is 1/1000th as important or globally known like Chicago is.

Old 04-11-2018, 01:57 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,732,092 times
Whether you prefer flat terrain, or hills or mountains is entirely subjective. I don't think either is truly better than the others it's just a matter of opinion. And each has pros and cons when it comes to engineering and lifestyle as well.

For me, flat land is awful in an urban setting. I think it shines best when in a large open area with little to no forest density where you can see for a long distance in all directions. However, I am not as fond of urban settings anyhow, so that stands to reason.

One thing I can say for flat/low rolling cities that I do like is how, given the correct level of forestry or building clutter, their skyline can really stand out at night from a short distance.

Approaching Baton Rouge from the west over the Huey Long bridge at night is gorgeous. Lots of lights.

... don't stop though. North Baton Rouge is not a safe place to gawk at night.

Old 04-11-2018, 02:15 PM

5,122 posts, read 3,880,627 times
I think people, mainly on here, go on too much about flatness. I don't mind flatness, but I want some features with it like water or rivers. Charleston, Miami, Savannah are flat, but that doesn't take away from their appeal at all. Chicago seems flat, but who cares, Chicago is cool and Lake Michigan is a great asset. I think cities in flat basins surrounded by mountains are cool too. LA, Denver, and Phoenix for example.

Drove through Kansas last week and it was just flatness and wide open-ness for hours. That's the type of flatness I don't care for. I'd like some kind of geographic features, though it's not the end of the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.