Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2018, 02:15 PM

6 posts, read 7,108 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, I’d like some help with city suggestions for someone like me im case I decide to move.

A bit about me:
In my early-mid 20s
A creative (both visual arts and music). Would like to be some kind of freelancer or remote worker. Very interested in pursuing something in music as well. Not into the traditional 9-5 workplace career thing.
Socially/politically progressive
A bit of a foodie
Single without children
Gay female

I’m interested in a very progressive, “green”, and low-cost of living area. A place where a creative or a non-traditional person (in the sense of not wanting a “traditional” job) can thrive and find a community without having to starve. I prefer larger cities that are culturally diverse (with decent amounts of people of every race, national origin, gender/sexual orientation, etc), and have a lot of places to go/see, activities, music shows, shops, parks, nature, etc. I get bored easily, so small towns are horrible for me (been there done that). A place with good weather (Really don’t like super cold/bi-polar winters and messy snow. Don’t love rain or heat, but can live with it), and decent sized “millenial”/single population. Good public transportation is very important and a bikeable city is ideal. A laid-back attitude is ideal.

Currently living in Seattle and I really like the social and environmental progressiveness. The transportation is pretty good too. The food’s great, and the diversity is pretty good (not as diverse as NY or LA but still) But I notice that thanks to the tech boom, the city is not as quirky, artsy, and laid-back. The city might be going too corporate for my liking. This is not always a bad thing, especially if the city is huge, but Seattle is technically not huge. Not a huuuuge fan of the weather as I find it somewhat depressing and doesn’t encourage me to leave the house (I do love nature, but not as fun when it’s grey and rainy) The cost of living has also gotten ridiculous, and I find that people have to sacrifice too much. You either a- put up with roommates, b- live in a TINY studio (what I’m doing), or c- move farther away and then they have to commute if they wanna work/spend time in the city. I’d still live in a studio, but I’d like more space at a cheaper cost while still being in the fun area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2018, 02:56 PM

1,541 posts, read 1,655,079 times
Austin, TX
San Diego, CA

Old 03-28-2018, 03:01 PM

20,722 posts, read 9,318,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones17 View Post
Austin, TX
San Diego, CA
He said: "and low-cost of living area." Also, both those are going to be as "corporate" as Seattle is these days.

I don't there's a city that would satisfy his criteria, unless he was willing to sacrifice his weather conditions.

Old 03-28-2018, 03:16 PM

15,973 posts, read 10,531,630 times
Pay a visit to Albuquerque. Public transportation is OK and there are bike riders everywhere but you might still need a car. You will have to learn to embrace the high desert, which is amazingly seductive.

Old 03-28-2018, 03:33 PM

7,773 posts, read 10,066,343 times
Well you're kinda trying to get the holy grail that doesn't exist. All the things that typically make a place unaffordable, but for an affordable price tag.

Still, let's talk through some options here.

NOLA hits most of those things. It's very creative and socially progressive. Fantastic food and an environment that nurtures artists and musicians. COL is pretty good, and it seems pretty bike able, transit friendly. I think it would be your best bet...only shortcomings are I don't find it particularly green/sustainable and it's on the small side (though packs a lot of punch for its size)

Austin is somewhat similar to NOLA but more expensive and a bit less cohesive as an urban city. It's probably not as saturated with artists (musicians yes) and I'm guessing a bit more focused on sustainability.

Atlanta has the big city vibe + amenities. And while it isn't tremendously transit/biking friendly, it offers a dozen in town neighborhoods that might be to your liking, at a fairly low COL. Lots of gay females too.

Louisville/Richmond - I don't know either city well have only had a few short visits. They strike me as having strong, albeit smaller, creative communities as well as pockets of urbanity. Like NOLA, these are on the smaller side so that's a tradeoff.

Minneapolis/Chicago/Philly - major cities, particularly the last two. Should be lots of areas with the kind of community you seek. Not super cheap but affordable for what they offer. Not sure if you're willing to deal with the weather, especially in winter.

Old 03-28-2018, 04:01 PM

26,826 posts, read 43,300,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lettuces View Post

A bit about me:
In my early-mid 20s
A creative (both visual arts and music). Would like to be some kind of freelancer or remote worker. Very interested in pursuing something in music as well. Not into the traditional 9-5 workplace career thing.
Socially/politically progressive
A bit of a foodie
Single without children
Gay female

I’m interested in a very progressive, “green”, and low-cost of living area. A place where a creative or a non-traditional person (in the sense of not wanting a “traditional” job) can thrive and find a community without having to starve. I prefer larger cities that are culturally diverse (with decent amounts of people of every race, national origin, gender/sexual orientation, etc), and have a lot of places to go/see, activities, music shows, shops, parks, nature, etc. I get bored easily, so small towns are horrible for me (been there done that). A place with good weather (Really don’t like super cold/bi-polar winters and messy snow. Don’t love rain or heat, but can live with it), and decent sized “millenial”/single population. Good public transportation is very important and a bikeable city is ideal. A laid-back attitude is ideal.
I think Atlanta could be a good fit as it has not only a significant progressive/artsy millennial population with considerable diversity as well a large LGBT population. Neighborhoods like East Atlanta, Old Fourth Ward, Little Five Points, Virginia Highland and Decatur are good examples of walkable, bike-friendly areas with access to pretty good transit options. Decatur in particular is well-served transit wise with a Marta Rail Station in the center of it's downtown commercial district, and has one of the highest concentrations of gay women in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.