U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2018, 06:34 AM

3,213 posts, read 1,543,956 times

Advertisements

I see TRUE gentrification is more restoring existing housing in a neighborhood and adding infill to replace vacant lots of lost housing. But this is basically more urban-like areas already.

I don't call developers virtually replacing every older existing home with new developments as under a term gentrification. Like Houston's inner-loop areas where few original homes remain in block after block afterward. It's like the old Urban Renewal of leveling neighborhoods more. Just my opinion.....

A definition:

- the buying and renovation of houses and stores in deteriorated urban neighborhoods by upper- or middle-income families or individuals, raising property values but often displacing low-income families and small businesses.

If by far ..... most homes are leveled? It's something other then gentrification to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2018, 10:50 AM

5,122 posts, read 3,880,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Here's the summary of the methodology from the Realtor article from January of last year which proclaimed Charleston as the fastest-gentrifying city in the country
Well I literally don't have time to read and analyze all of that, but I will say the last paragraph is very annoyingly condescending and assumption heavy. It's my opinion, you don't have to get an attitude about it.

Old 04-03-2018, 11:09 AM

7,816 posts, read 12,321,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
What cities in the south are gentrifying the fastest?

So far Iíve seen the gentrification occurring in Miami, New Orleans and Charleston, SC.

And I also hear Raleigh is seeing some gentrification also!
Suburban expansion in a way can be seen as "gentrifying" poorer rural areas and this is happening a lot of parts of the Baton Rouge suburbs as trailer parks are replaced by new gated communities and fancy shopping centers.

Charleston SC has always been a very genteel and wealthy city so I don't think gentrification would count there.

Old 04-03-2018, 04:47 PM

29,893 posts, read 27,345,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Well I literally don't have time to read and analyze all of that, but I will say the last paragraph is very annoyingly condescending and assumption heavy. It's my opinion, you don't have to get an attitude about it.
But we're talking about a phenomenon which is quantifiable in a few different ways. I simply don't see how you can make a judgment about which city is or isn't gentrifying the most with a simple eye test. This issue really isn't in the realm of opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Charleston SC has always been a very genteel and wealthy city so I don't think gentrification would count there.
Charleston is a lot more than South of Broad; there are plenty of poor and middle-class areas in the city, although apparently less so as time goes on.

Old 04-03-2018, 06:39 PM

5,122 posts, read 3,880,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
But we're talking about a phenomenon which is quantifiable in a few different ways. I simply don't see how you can make a judgment about which city is or isn't gentrifying the most with a simple eye test. This issue really isn't in the realm of opinion.
I never said anything about a "simple eye test", and that's exactly what I meant about making assumptions. I've looked at more bar graphs than you think.

Old 04-04-2018, 10:20 AM

29,893 posts, read 27,345,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
I never said anything about a "simple eye test", and that's exactly what I meant about making assumptions. I've looked at more bar graphs than you think.
I didn't make any assumptions; I only went by what you yourself stated, which was:

I promise you Charleston overall is not tops. Half of downtown can't even be gentrified. Of course that's my opinion, but by what I've seen, first hand, across the south the last few years, it's not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or