Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 08:01 AM

617 posts, read 551,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Atlanta is gentrifying, but I wouldn't call it "the fastest", which the thread is about. I feel like this thread has become a what city is gentrifying list, and the answer is all of them. But gentrification doesn't occur at a constant speed. Some cities are changing so fast it's making your head hurt. Nashville probably sticks out to me the most. Unlike cities like Charleston, Atlanta, Raleigh, yada yada that are seeing certain neighborhoods or core changes, Nashville seems to be changing fast in every single direction.
The OP was about which CITIES in the south are gentrifying the fastest. To leave Atlanta out of that equation doesn't make sense. All you have to do, if you're a resident, is drive around and there are sooo many rehabs, and tear down/rebuilds going up on the Westside right now it is insane. This is the side of town that many said WOULD NEVER see gentrification and it is happening right now. Thanks to a lot of investment from the City, and some movers and shakers like Falcons owner Arthur Blank and Chick-Fil-A CEO Dan Cathy. They are investing TONS of money into that area of town right now, and it is showing. And again that is just the west side. The east side of town is a like night and day from just a few years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2018, 08:57 AM

2,426 posts, read 2,476,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC2ATL60 View Post
The OP was about which CITIES in the south are gentrifying the fastest. To leave Atlanta out of that equation doesn't make sense. All you have to do, if you're a resident, is drive around and there are sooo many rehabs, and tear down/rebuilds going up on the Westside right now it is insane. This is the side of town that many said WOULD NEVER see gentrification and it is happening right now. Thanks to a lot of investment from the City, and some movers and shakers like Falcons owner Arthur Blank and Chick-Fil-A CEO Dan Cathy. They are investing TONS of money into that area of town right now, and it is showing. And again that is just the west side. The east side of town is a like night and day from just a few years ago.

I don't think he is leaving Atlanta out, it's just not the Fastest, at least not on the Rate the City of Nashville has changed. I live in Atlanta and go to Nashville very often. The way Nashville is Gentrifying, it's almost as if they have rebuilt the entire city almost, different look and feel to the City, especially close to DT area. Atlanta has built a lot of new as well but it's more rehab level compared to what Nashville has become and is becoming...They are still throwing up like crazy up there, Highrises, condos, and more densely built homes, like 2 or 3 where 1 ranch home once stood.

Old 04-02-2018, 11:00 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,446,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC2ATL60 View Post
Relax. I wasn't leaving Atlanta out...was simply stating that it's not the fastest and that most growing southern cities are experiencing some kind of gentrification. Nashville sticks out to me the most because it's happening in the entire city rather than a few neighborhoods or a certain side of town, like most cities.

Old 04-02-2018, 01:16 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
I don't think he is leaving Atlanta out, it's just not the Fastest, at least not on the Rate the City of Nashville has changed. I live in Atlanta and go to Nashville very often. The way Nashville is Gentrifying, it's almost as if they have rebuilt the entire city almost, different look and feel to the City, especially close to DT area. Atlanta has built a lot of new as well but it's more rehab level compared to what Nashville has become and is becoming...They are still throwing up like crazy up there, Highrises, condos, and more densely built homes, like 2 or 3 where 1 ranch home once stood.
If we are talking about THE fastest, statistically it is Charleston and no other city should be discussed.

But if we are talking about multiple cities, then Atlanta belongs in the conversation just as much as Nashville and anywhere else. Gentrification won't look the exact same in every city.

Old 04-02-2018, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Relax. I wasn't leaving Atlanta out...was simply stating that it's not the fastest and that most growing southern cities are experiencing some kind of gentrification. Nashville sticks out to me the most because it's happening in the entire city rather than a few neighborhoods or a certain side of town, like most cities.
Not saying that this is your perspective, but that sounds pretty awful to me. The whole city? Why would anyone be excited about that?

Old 04-02-2018, 01:49 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,446,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Not saying that this is your perspective, but that sounds pretty awful to me. The whole city? Why would anyone be excited about that?
Only ones excited about it are flippers and developers. I see a lot of dismay from residents. Change is inevitable, and in many instances for the better, but in Nashville's case it's going way too fast, and in some neighborhoods it's almost laughable what they're throwing up then charging. There's luxury apartments next to a car wash and empty office, and a mile from the "Murder Kroger" with zero walkability going for $1400+.

You can find luxury apartments in Atlanta charging less than that that have a grocery store next door in at least a semi-walkable neighborhood.

Quote:
If we are talking about THE fastest, statistically it is Charleston and no other city should be discussed.

But if we are talking about multiple cities, then Atlanta belongs in the conversation just as much as Nashville and anywhere else. Gentrification won't look the exact same in every city.
Nashville is worse than Charleston. Charleston's rapid gentrification is happening mainly downtown. Outside of that it's nowhere near as rampant. As stated, Nashville has multiple neighborhoods changing pretty rapidly, or at least they're trying to. But yes regardless, I wish Charleston would get more under control. And again, neither of us was leaving Atlanta out.

Old 04-02-2018, 02:41 PM

35,060 posts, read 31,284,584 times
As a native Tennessean, I'm just astonished with the rate of increase in Nashville. Personally, I don't see the appeal there vs. any other similarly sized Sun Belt city, but some areas of Nashville are approaching rents of similar districts in places like Philadelphia, Minneapolis, or even Chicago.

Old 04-02-2018, 03:21 PM

14,053 posts, read 13,929,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
Very fast! Walked through Ovetown and it was alarming!
Give Ovetown 10 years before it on Wynwood level

Old 04-02-2018, 04:08 PM

2,426 posts, read 2,476,042 times
Quote:

You can relax.Not saying its a good or a bad thing one way or another but if u visit Nashville you will see the level at which the city is changing and Jandrew is correct , it is at a much higher level than Charleston.. No one is trying to disclued Atlanta but its just not changing and Gentrifying as fast as Nashville. It seems to be really hard on it's older citizens and poor pushing them further out and not addressing the affordable housing issues fast enough..

Old 04-02-2018, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Only ones excited about it are flippers and developers. I see a lot of dismay from residents. Change is inevitable, and in many instances for the better, but in Nashville's case it's going way too fast, and in some neighborhoods it's almost laughable what they're throwing up then charging. There's luxury apartments next to a car wash and empty office, and a mile from the "Murder Kroger" with zero walkability going for $1400+.

You can find luxury apartments in Atlanta charging less than that that have a grocery store next door in at least a semi-walkable neighborhood.

Nashville is worse than Charleston. Charleston's rapid gentrification is happening mainly downtown. Outside of that it's nowhere near as rampant. As stated, Nashville has multiple neighborhoods changing pretty rapidly, or at least they're trying to. But yes regardless, I wish Charleston would get more under control. And again, neither of us was leaving Atlanta out.
Well the stats say Charleston is gentrifying the fastest, but again, gentrification simply doesn't look the same everywhere and you definitely have to take size differences into account.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.