U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2018, 05:51 PM

6,868 posts, read 6,197,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I would check the weather in Oklahoma in summer which isn't much better, if any..
As has been mentioned, Oklahoma summers reach about the same temps but are not near as sticky as BR. Also, BR summers are a lot longer. BR is pretty warm and humid in May and September where Norman is pretty temperate in May and at least half of September. I'd probably say that Oklahoma is more comfortable in April and October than BR as well.

However, Oklahoma is much windier in the spring than BR and has much more chance of hail and tornados.

And of course BR is much milder in the winter although Norman isn't bad.

But if wind is a deal breaker, you need to go to BR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2018, 08:33 PM

45 posts, read 49,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
As has been mentioned, Oklahoma summers reach about the same temps but are not near as sticky as BR. Also, BR summers are a lot longer. BR is pretty warm and humid in May and September where Norman is pretty temperate in May and at least half of September. I'd probably say that Oklahoma is more comfortable in April and October than BR as well.

However, Oklahoma is much windier in the spring than BR and has much more chance of hail and tornados.

And of course BR is much milder in the winter although Norman isn't bad.

But if wind is a deal breaker, you need to go to BR
How often do tornados hit around Norman? Is it something so serious that I should think twice before going? I personally do not mind wind but tornados are something I've never experienced.

And after living in California for a year, which to me has the most perfect weather in the southern part, I actually kind of want to enjoy seasons again. OKU seems like the better fit for me but I just worry I will be missing out by being in Norman. Although I've heard OKC is underrated

Old 03-29-2018, 03:20 PM

6,868 posts, read 6,197,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey2125 View Post
How often do tornados hit around Norman? Is it something so serious that I should think twice before going? I personally do not mind wind but tornados are something I've never experienced.

And after living in California for a year, which to me has the most perfect weather in the southern part, I actually kind of want to enjoy seasons again. OKU seems like the better fit for me but I just worry I will be missing out by being in Norman. Although I've heard OKC is underrated
As far as tornados, they can hit just about anywhere but they aren't really anything to be that worried about. These days they let you know in advance the days that will be tornado prone. Then unless one were to form right close to Norman you would get plenty of warning about getting to safety if necessary. They will be on TV updating the path and stuff so you know if they are headed toward you. I've lived in the state most of my life and I've never been all that worried about them.

As far as "missing out" I think you have to realize that while Norman is certainly not exotic you get a traditional college town experience without being in a small community isolated from a larger urban area.

Also, Dallas/Ft Worth is less than 3 hours away from Norman. Lots people do weekends there fairly frequently. And when OU plays Texas in the Cotton bowl. That game is easily the best weekend in college football.

Old 03-29-2018, 08:34 PM

1,565 posts, read 748,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
LSU does slightly better with geographic diversity than OU (both with about 20%-25% from out of state) while Nebraska is very much an in-state school with around 10% from out of state. OU does slightly better with ethnic diversity but LSU has upped it's diversity in recent years and is fairly close now to what OU represents. Nebraska is a bit lacking in that department as well with less than 3% of the student body Black or Asian. LSU will have much better weather than OU or Nebraska, especially in winter. It's probably a draw for fun/nightlife as all three are major universities. In terms of the cities attached Baton Rouge and Lincoln are about the same size (275K-ish) while Norman is just 110K, and would give the edge to Baton Rouge again for it's people and Cajun cultural influences.
I wonder what proportion of LSU's and OU's out of state students are from Texas, which in both cases is an adjacent state with a huge population. Getting admission to Texas' flagship schools (UT-Austin, A&M) has become increasingly difficult, so some of the college bound students may look to top schools in other nearby states for options. Major parts of Texas are a lot closer to either Norman or Baton Rouge than to other parts of Texas as well. Nebraska is not adjacent to a heavily populated state, which may help explain why Lincoln draws fewer out of state students.

For the OP, I would think any of the three states would be interesting and worthwhile to spend time in as a student, as they are all very different from both New Jersey and California. My vague impression is that Oklahoma is a little more recognized for particular programs such as meteorology or petroleum engineering and probably a bit higher tier as a research institution than the others.

Old 03-29-2018, 09:41 PM

45 posts, read 49,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
I wonder what proportion of LSU's and OU's out of state students are from Texas, which in both cases is an adjacent state with a huge population. Getting admission to Texas' flagship schools (UT-Austin, A&M) has become increasingly difficult, so some of the college bound students may look to top schools in other nearby states for options. Major parts of Texas are a lot closer to either Norman or Baton Rouge than to other parts of Texas as well. Nebraska is not adjacent to a heavily populated state, which may help explain why Lincoln draws fewer out of state students.

For the OP, I would think any of the three states would be interesting and worthwhile to spend time in as a student, as they are all very different from both New Jersey and California. My vague impression is that Oklahoma is a little more recognized for particular programs such as meteorology or petroleum engineering and probably a bit higher tier as a research institution than the others.

Thanks I really appreciate the response. I plan to visit before a decision is made but have you ever visited those places? Right now I'm more leaning towards U Nebraska Lincoln and Oklahoma. Boulder Colorado is also a possibility. But just curious to know what the first two are like if you've ever been there. Feel free to comment on Baton Rouge as well.

My biggest worry is that I will miss the big city, but I've heard that college towns are very unique, and I can always work in a city afterwards. Also one of the years I will most likely be in japan for at least a semester if not a full year

Old 03-30-2018, 07:53 AM

1,565 posts, read 748,003 times
Quote:
Thanks I really appreciate the response. I plan to visit before a decision is made but have you ever visited those places? Right now I'm more leaning towards U Nebraska Lincoln and Oklahoma. Boulder Colorado is also a possibility. But just curious to know what the first two are like if you've ever been there. Feel free to comment on Baton Rouge as well.

My biggest worry is that I will miss the big city, but I've heard that college towns are very unique, and I can always work in a city afterwards. Also one of the years I will most likely be in japan for at least a semester if not a full year
I've been to Norman which looks like a pleasant, relatively suburban medium sized city, with a bustling and up to date campus. I have not visited Lincoln or Baton Rouge, although have worked with alumni from LSU and they certainly have a lot of school spirit ("Geaux Tigers!"). In terms of the cities themselves (not necessarily the schools), Baton Rouge has considerably more crime and poverty than the others. Lincoln is at least as safe and prosperous as any comparably sized American city - from my perspective the harsh climate is their major weakness.

Boulder (where I've visited several times) is exceptional in terms of offering a healthy outdoor lifestyle and is at the end point of a major high tech corridor that extends into metro Denver, so there are a lot of opportunities in the area ... along with a much higher cost of living than the other 3 places. Great research university too, so if you like a particular program it would be a worthwhile choice.

Old 03-30-2018, 10:23 PM

1,212 posts, read 1,159,691 times
Lincoln is a great small city. I live here as a college student and there's plenty of things downtown and close to campus. Winters really aren't that bad. Just your typical snow and cold weather. Doesn't get crazy until you get close to South Dakota.

Old 04-01-2018, 06:19 AM

44,850 posts, read 36,203,761 times
Quote:
I appreciate the post. As of right now I am actually leaning towards OU. It seems to have everything that I want and I am actually going for international business/marketing and minoring in Japanese (I plan to work there eventually.) And the most important, because I will be 27 when I transfer, is that the age diversity ranks a lot better than most major Uni's, even though it's still middle of the pack.

My biggest worry is that Norman would get boring or just not be fun. I've lived my life in NJ for 25 years and the past year in California, so it will be a major change. I don't mind the conservative culture as long as it isn't forced, but just those few things make me worry.

How did you like the college game days? And did you find the nightlife/parties at OU to be stimulating or were they lacking? How did you feel about the facilities? Sorry for all the follow ups I'm just curious.

As to everyone else who posted I really appreciate the responses. I have heard Louisiana summers can be BRUTAL which is one of my fears for there, but I have heard it is some of the best food in the entire country.
If weather is a concern, then batten down your hatches if you move to OK, land of some of the most, errrr, exciting weather in the country. Weather in OK can be cray cray and I'm not kidding. And summers are hot hot hot.

But the people seem to be really, really friendly so there's that!

Yes, Louisiana summers can be stifling hot but people just go with it because it's so much dang fun to live in Louisiana! And Baton Rouge is close to New Orleans, which is almost like visiting a foreign country, it's so strange and evocative and fun. OMG, the food, the food...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or