U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2018, 08:31 AM

11,456 posts, read 6,575,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
More Conservative than Media Portrayal:

Las Vegas
Sacramento
Austin
Detroit
NYC
Portland

More Liberal than Media Portrayal:

Dallas
San Diego
Houston
Nashville
Salt Lake City
NYC is definitely not more conservative than portrayed. Trump got less than 1/5 of the vote there. The only conservative neighborhoods are either Hassidic enclaves, Russian immigrant enclaves, or are suburban neighborhoods on the outskirts of the city. And even some of those neighborhoods would not strike you as a place a Breitbart reader would want to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2018, 09:14 AM

21,187 posts, read 30,359,201 times
Missing from this thread is the distinction between socially conservative and financially conservative, or both. It's not a one size shoe..

Old 04-07-2018, 09:54 AM

11,456 posts, read 6,575,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Missing from this thread is the distinction between socially conservative and financially conservative, or both. It's not a one size shoe..
There's way too heavy of a correlation for that distinction to have to be made. That being said, I do think there's some variance among both liberals and conservatives. For instance, it seems common for staunch conservatives to be Atheists. And some liberals oppose gun control and smoking bans, myself included.

But I think that the overwhelming majority of people who consider themselves conservatives are both fiscally and socially conservative, even though a lot of union guys are conservatives (ironically).

Old 04-07-2018, 12:46 PM

7,582 posts, read 3,997,005 times
Most Republican voters live in the suburbs, not rural areas.

Old 04-07-2018, 12:55 PM

7,820 posts, read 12,324,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
Ironic how that came to be, given the difference in the white demographic of NOLA compared to other parts of the Deep South.
The city of New Orleans itself has always been a bubble and with white flight to the suburbs especially the Northshore its become more pronounced.

Its been argued that Hurricane Katrina made the greater NO area and the state of Louisiana more Republican than before since most of the evacuees who didn't return after the storm are low income blacks from areas like the Lower Ninth and New Orleans East and since this demographic formed the core of the Democrat base, it resulted in the Democrats having a smaller constituency.

I also have many white (and some Asian American) friends here in Louisiana who used to be moderately conservative but have been driven more to the right as the Democrats have moved to the left, and have felt alienated by things like Black Lives Matter, the left's attacks on law enforcement (New Orleans and Baton Rouge area residents truly understand and respect the police given our crime problems) and the culture of political correctness. Many people who don't personally fly a rebel flag were outraged by the Confederate monuments being removed in Lee Circle.

Also New Orleans is a majority Catholic city, and while the Catholics elsewhere in Louisiana are very traditional, conservative Catholics and form part of the Bible Belt voting bloc, NOLA's Catholics are more similar to the Boston and Chicago Catholics.

Old 04-07-2018, 03:17 PM

1,012 posts, read 639,839 times
Providence, RI is a socially conservative metropolitan area; however, state and local election results would lead you to perceive otherwise. The strong influence of the Roman Catholic Church in RI, the generally older population, the parochial mindset and the fact most ethnic whites are not more than 2-3 generations removed from the "old country" foster a great deal of "small-c" conservatism within the coterminous state and metropolitan area.

Old 04-07-2018, 09:15 PM

5,549 posts, read 6,977,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I've only been to Boise once, but heading for the city on the freeway I was rather shocked to see this big Mormon temple seemingly to dominate the skyline.
Southern Idaho is northern Utah.

Old 04-09-2018, 05:03 PM

17,667 posts, read 4,062,179 times
i think Midland is not as conservative as most people think because it seems like a lot of people are more establishment types like Bush and Romney.Our congressman is establishment.

Old 04-09-2018, 07:52 PM

13,217 posts, read 17,951,565 times
The city of Pittsburgh and Allegheny County are more liberal than their reputations, but ironically, the Pittsburgh metropolitan area is more conservative than its reputation. Beginning sometime in the 1990s, the urban core and inner suburbs have moved to the left while the outer suburbs and exurban fringe have moved to the right, which has created a very steep political gradient across the metropolitan area. The city of Pittsburgh has become a bastion of "gentry" leftism, and many of its inner suburbs are center-left as well. The more Republican areas of Allegheny County are center-right, more interested in fiscal conservatism than cultural conservatism. As for the rest of the metropolitan area outside of Allegheny County, a picture is worth a thousand words.

More simply put, the city of Pittsburgh is Barack Obama, the inner suburbs are Hillary Clinton, the outer suburbs are Mitt Romney, and the exurbs are Donald Trump.

Old 04-10-2018, 10:31 AM

2,727 posts, read 5,148,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I've only been to Boise once, but heading for the city on the freeway I was rather shocked to see this big Mormon temple seemingly to dominate the skyline.

But I did have fun at a very fun Gay bar there one night.
A Mormon Temple doesn't necessarily mean a city is conservative. Los Angeles has a temple, Seattle and Portland have temples. Las Vegas (where it appears you are from) has a large Mormon Temple dominating the skyline up against the foothills.
The temple in Boise isn't even downtown, it is a small temple along the Interstate across from a movie theater.
There is a new Buddhist Temple not very far away from the LDS Temple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or