Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 07:52 PM

28,097 posts, read 29,963,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I would not expect any large city to be conservative even if it's in Utah
Salt Lake City proper isn't large. It's less than 200,000. The metro area is 1.2 million and while that's a decent sized metro area, I don't think most people really think of Salt Lake as a "large city."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2018, 11:06 PM

23,219 posts, read 29,044,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Salt Lake City. Everybody is convinced that it's super conservative, but it's not! Salt Lake has not had a Republican mayor in over 40 years, and the city's current mayor is a Democrat, non-LDS, married lesbian woman. She and her spouse are the parents of an adopted son.

The rest of the state is truly very, very conservative, with the exception of a few small areas (such as Park City) that are much more liberal.
Some of the best Gay Bars I've been in were in Salt Lake City. I recall the Deer Hunter bar in downtown SLC, the most luxurious Gay bar I've seen, with chandeliers, lots of bi-level mirrors, 3 dance floors, covered a half block! It beat out anything they have here in Las Vegas!

Old 04-02-2018, 11:11 PM

545 posts, read 411,600 times
Eugene, OR gets a lot of play as a liberal college town and a hippie holdout, but that is really just the small area between the downtown area and the University. If you go out to the west side of town it looks just like another blue collar Oregon mill town. I think there are even still lumber mills there.

Conversely, its sister city of Springfield is a lot more moderate than what people generally think.

Old 04-02-2018, 11:29 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,242,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
When one thinks of the Midwest it's easy to generalize they'd be more conservative, but having lived in Minneapolis for 21 years, now that's liberal-liberal.

Been here in Las Vegas for 22 years now and I fail to find anything liberal about this city, and some of the residents appear as conservative as farmers from Iowa.

I've been to some southern cities, the Bible Belt, and came away quite shocked how liberal the people were that I encountered.

How about you? Any surprises?

Dallas, Tx is liberal and voted heavily for Hillary in 2016. Dallas Co. has 2.6M and voted for Hillary by a 26 point margin.

Northern California is considered very liberal but Redding, Ca. voted for Trump 64-28 for Hillary.

Old 04-03-2018, 06:27 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,264,990 times
In the case of Boise, Idaho, most out of state folks expect it to be much more conservative than it actually is (in addition to thinking it is in the Midwest)

On the flip side, many instate folks think it is much more liberal than it actually is.

What you really have is small pockets of very liberal areas and larger moderate areas making the city moderately liberal, but the suburbs make the county as a whole moderately conservative.

Old 04-03-2018, 06:41 AM

3,840 posts, read 3,066,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I would not expect any large city to be conservative even if it's in Utah

Yes, true. Large cities have large numbers of citizens that want free stuff. SLC included.

Old 04-03-2018, 12:31 PM

3,006 posts, read 2,629,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZUMAN View Post
Yes, true. Large cities have large numbers of citizens that want free stuff. SLC included.
Cool hot take bro

Old 04-03-2018, 05:19 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,811,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayneMo View Post
OKC is portrayed much more conservative than it really is. I've found that central OKC, where I live, is quite liberal. Both my state representative and state senator are liberal Democrats. Central OKC voted overwhelmingly for Clinton.
I disagree. Oklahoma City has earned its right-wing reputation.

Old 04-03-2018, 09:45 PM

13 posts, read 7,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Expat View Post
Dallas, Tx is liberal and voted heavily for Hillary in 2016. Dallas Co. has 2.6M and voted for Hillary by a 26 point margin.

Northern California is considered very liberal but Redding, Ca. voted for Trump 64-28 for Hillary.
I suspect that the mental image that some have of Dallas is Preston Hollow McMansions. There are places like that but increasingly the city as a whole has been getting less and less suburban (see: Oak Lawn).

Old 04-03-2018, 10:32 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,927,883 times
The Baltimore area isn't quite as liberal as people think. Maryland is mostly Democrat because of the DC suburbs and Baltimore has many quite conservative suburbs. Eastern Baltimore County in particular is true authentic Trump Country. The area does seem more Democrat at times because of the black Democrats from the inner city.

New Orleans is portrayed as a very liberal city and its very liberal within the city but the suburbs are more conservative than your typical suburbs elsewhere. For example places like Mandeville and Metairie are more conservative than many of the Pittsburgh or Columbus suburbs. Steve Scalise and David Duke are both from suburban NO.

Colorado Springs is not as conservative as its reputation says it is. Local municipalities in Colorado have the right to opt out of recreational marijuana and not allow dispensaries yet there are quite a few weed dispensaries in the city. Also liquor laws are less strict and bars more numerous than many parts of the Bible Belt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.