U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2018, 04:43 AM

17,371 posts, read 21,218,356 times

Advertisements

When one thinks of the Midwest it's easy to generalize they'd be more conservative, but having lived in Minneapolis for 21 years, now that's liberal-liberal.

Been here in Las Vegas for 22 years now and I fail to find anything liberal about this city, and some of the residents appear as conservative as farmers from Iowa.

I've been to some southern cities, the Bible Belt, and came away quite shocked how liberal the people were that I encountered.

How about you? Any surprises?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2018, 05:48 AM

21,187 posts, read 30,351,954 times
An easy pick for conservative is Jacksonville which consistently shows up on lists of "most conservative cities". It's really not and hasn't been for decades as the last few presidential elections have it tipping slightly red (52% to 48%) along with GOP gerrymandered districts that have recently been redrawn.

Old 03-28-2018, 03:45 PM

742 posts, read 719,655 times
OKC is portrayed much more conservative than it really is. I've found that central OKC, where I live, is quite liberal. Both my state representative and state senator are liberal Democrats. Central OKC voted overwhelmingly for Clinton.

Old 03-28-2018, 04:05 PM

10,396 posts, read 19,414,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
When one thinks of the Midwest it's easy to generalize they'd be more conservative, but having lived in Minneapolis for 21 years, now that's liberal-liberal.

Been here in Las Vegas for 22 years now and I fail to find anything liberal about this city, and some of the residents appear as conservative as farmers from Iowa.

I've been to some southern cities, the Bible Belt, and came away quite shocked how liberal the people were that I encountered.

How about you? Any surprises?
That's because "Liberal"/"Conservative" is MUCH more related to "Urban"/"Rural" than to North/South.

Does it really surprise you that Atlanta or Raleigh or Charleston or Knoxville is more liberal than rural Minnesota or Wisconsin or Missouri?

Look at an election map--the wide swatch of red in the center of the country is sparsely-populated rural areas, while the tiny blue dots are cities. People in urban areas experience many diverse kinds of people every day and are less likely to be in a "this is how we've always done it, and I don't intend to ever change" mindset like people in small towns tend to do. The folks who don't fit in (and are more likely to be liberal) FLEE small towns as fast as they can, and move to cities, especially if they're gay or artsy or well-educated or other things that can make you "different" in a little town. But very few people move INTO small towns, and if they do, they are aware of what they are getting.

It's easy for quote-unquote "freaks" to get lost in the anonymity of a city, not possible in a little town where the grapevine reports every item you bought at the grocery store to everybody else. Churches are practically required to have any kind of social standing in many small towns. If you aren't religious, you're likely to go elsewhere, even though of course there are plenty of religious people in cities. that's because cities have a little bit of everything, = more acceptance of people's differences, than a rural area, and that is not a function of Mason-Dixon anywhere near as much as it is a function of urbanity.

BTW, I am originally from a very small town so I am not putting them down--they ARE full of busybodies but they also tend to have a sense of belonging, unless you are too much of an outlier, and "your people" will look after you. But I grew up for most of my life in a medium-sized, now moderately large, city. As a gay, intellectual man, I know that I would have gone stark raving crazy if I had grown up in my (beloved) hometown.

Old 03-28-2018, 04:08 PM

4,264 posts, read 6,343,100 times
People sometime paint NYC as some ultra-liberal cesspool of sin. But while it usually goes blue in elections, there are swaths of every borough that are politically and/or socially conservative, and they’re not hard to find either.

Old 03-28-2018, 05:29 PM
_OT

2,143 posts, read 1,518,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
People sometime paint NYC as some ultra-liberal cesspool of sin. But while it usually goes blue in elections, there are swaths of every borough that are politically and/or socially conservative, and they’re not hard to find either.
NYC can get a bit religious too...

Middle Easterns and Islam, Hispanics and Catholicism, the Jewish communities, etc.

Old 03-28-2018, 05:35 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,160,832 times
Nashville is not that conservative anymore, it is a not a hotbed of liberal people but not as conservative as people think either.

Old 03-28-2018, 06:05 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,426,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
Nashville is not that conservative anymore, it is a not a hotbed of liberal people but not as conservative as people think either.
I knew Nashville wasn't conservative,, its Suburbs r though, just like Atlanta outer ring burbs are, especially the Northern one's.. Typical in the South

Old 03-28-2018, 06:27 PM

11,456 posts, read 6,571,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayneMo View Post
OKC is portrayed much more conservative than it really is. I've found that central OKC, where I live, is quite liberal. Both my state representative and state senator are liberal Democrats. Central OKC voted overwhelmingly for Clinton.
That actually doesn't surprise me at all, I would assume it's left leaning since it's a big city. At least the centrally located parts

Old 03-28-2018, 07:27 PM

322 posts, read 249,579 times
http://78.media.tumblr.com/c3229e645...f8ko1_1280.png

Well, here's the Judgmental Map of Alabama, and note that Birmingham is labeled as "If Portland Had Minorities." But then the southern 'burbs are labeled as "Republicans with Road Rage," which is the the more likely perception of the city!

Last edited by JMT; 03-31-2018 at 06:30 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or