U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 09:38 AM

23,075 posts, read 35,028,118 times

Advertisements

I don't think this should come as a surprise, as black women have long been at the forefront of grassroots community activism. It stands to reason that they are moving up through the political hierarchy on municipal, state and federal levels.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b0a52aca180796
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2018, 09:53 AM

29,927 posts, read 27,365,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
I don't think this should come as a surprise, as black women have long been at the forefront of grassroots community activism. It stands to reason that they are moving up through the political hierarchy on municipal, state and federal levels.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b0a52aca180796
And it's LONG overdue.

Old 04-11-2018, 10:09 AM

506 posts, read 338,790 times
Aja Brown of Compton, CA.

Reading about some of her actions since taking office is really remarkable:

- Eliminated hourly motel rentals and condemned businesses that incubate human trafficking.

- Gang-reduction intervention through neighborhood empowerment, peace treaties, and employment opportunities.

- The above two efforts resulted in an almost 50% decrease in homicides between 2014 & 2015.

- Mayor Brown has been successful in reducing unemployment from 18% to 9% while also attracting new companies and employment to Compton.

- Executed a policy that mandates 35% local hiring for city assisted and funded projects.

I remember reading a story about her when she was first elected into office about her goals as mayor, so it's really cool to read about her successes a couple years later.

Old 04-11-2018, 01:08 PM

1,558 posts, read 2,394,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajams22 View Post
Aja Brown of Compton, CA.

Reading about some of her actions since taking office is really remarkable:

- Eliminated hourly motel rentals and condemned businesses that incubate human trafficking.

- Gang-reduction intervention through neighborhood empowerment, peace treaties, and employment opportunities.

- The above two efforts resulted in an almost 50% decrease in homicides between 2014 & 2015.

- Mayor Brown has been successful in reducing unemployment from 18% to 9% while also attracting new companies and employment to Compton.

- Executed a policy that mandates 35% local hiring for city assisted and funded projects.

I remember reading a story about her when she was first elected into office about her goals as mayor, so it's really cool to read about her successes a couple years later.
Loving all of this!

Old 06-13-2018, 01:33 PM

4,266 posts, read 6,346,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
An interesting case:
San Francisco had a black woman, London Breed, as mayor for about a month earlier this year, after the city’s first Chinese-American mayor unexpectedly died in office. She succeeded him as next in line because she was city council president (or whatever they call that in SF). But the other council members didn’t want her to hold office right before this year’s election. So they voted her out and installed a white guy.

I understand that she is running in that election anyhow and may be elected anyway in her own right. Or maybe not. Maybe someone here more knowledgeable about SF politics can fill in the blanks.
One of my west Coast friends just let me know that London Breed is expected to win the mayor's race in San Francisco. I don't quite understand the whole ranked voting thing, but evidently she has rounded up enough votes to take home the prize.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/...e-12991190.php

I've often said that while the first black mayor/governor/president is a notable accomplishment, the REALLY big accomplishment is electing the second one, because at that point having a black chief executive becomes normal and not an anomaly. (Willie Brown was the 1st black mayor of the city).

Congratulations Mayor Breed and congratulations San Francisco!

Old 06-13-2018, 06:00 PM

3,803 posts, read 3,304,730 times
Charlotte has its first black female mayor.

Old 06-13-2018, 06:16 PM

56,595 posts, read 80,890,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
One of my west Coast friends just let me know that London Breed is expected to win the mayor's race in San Francisco. I don't quite understand the whole ranked voting thing, but evidently she has rounded up enough votes to take home the prize.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/...e-12991190.php

I've often said that while the first black mayor/governor/president is a notable accomplishment, the REALLY big accomplishment is electing the second one, because at that point having a black chief executive becomes normal and not an anomaly. (Willie Brown was the 1st black mayor of the city).

Congratulations Mayor Breed and congratulations San Francisco!
For sure. I know that Rochester NY’s current mayor is actually their second black mayor(William Johnson from 1994-2005 was the first).

So, besides Atlanta and DC, does anyone know of any cities of substantial size that have had multiple black female mayors?

Old 06-13-2018, 06:43 PM

7,735 posts, read 6,141,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
For sure. I know that Rochester NY’s current mayor is actually their second black mayor(William Johnson from 1994-2005 was the first).

So, besides Atlanta and DC, does anyone know of any cities of substantial size that have had multiple black female mayors?
Baltimore's last 3 mayors have been black women.

Old 06-14-2018, 04:59 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,195,120 times
Sharon Sayles Belton, a black woman, was the mayor of Minneapolis from 1994–2001.

Old 06-15-2018, 01:36 PM

56,595 posts, read 80,890,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Baltimore's last 3 mayors have been black women.
That's right....Shoot. Are there any others?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or