U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-03-2018, 10:07 PM
 
Location: Denver
3,192 posts, read 2,642,629 times
Reputation: 2226

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
Things that surprised me from watching drone footage of cities.

People make terrible drone videos.
You are absolutely right. The bigger cities usually have better footage, but it's more landmark based and less normal city views.


Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
OMG. You were definitely looking at NOT the greatest parts of the state, especially Midland - LOL. Beaumont and Katy are also coastal and therefore flat. Look at central Texas (check out for instance, Austin and west of Austin) and the NE quadrant of TX as well. This also happens to be where most of the population lives (other than Houston, which is huge). My point is that Texas is a very large state and has a lot more going on in it than just oil and gas and plains.

That being said, the unemployment rate in Midland is 2 percent - so there's a certain beauty to black gold - LOL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
No wonder! Three of the cities you looked at are in the Great Plains, and thus will have a dearth of trees. Given their economic status and focus, the architecture will be minimal, and what is present will be there just for convenience (hence big box stores).

The fourth city (Katy) is suburban sprawl, and the fifth (Beaumont) is a small industrial city. They certainly are flat, and will not have the best architecture. But you haven't looked at enough videos if you are concluding that these two areas lack trees:
I didn't know which parts were pretty and which weren't, I was just looking at the medium sized cities Being in the plains doesn't necessarily mean a cities ugly though. Some of the upper Great Plains cities look nice. It's the buildings / urban enviornment and the natural setting that make a city look nice, and those 5 TX cities seemed to have neither. I've heard Austins in a cool, I just haven't looked at big / popular cities yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
Actually I completely understand what you mean. Thanks for explaining. My initial reaction was to be surprised that somebody would say that they want to visit Newark but honestly I think itís because here in NYC and the rest of the Tri-State area everyone writes off Newark as a dumpy industrial town with a relatively high crime rate (compared to super-safe NYC, but really itís pretty average crime rate for an American city) with no reason to go there other than to catch a flight in/out of EWR.

Now that I think about it, I donít think Iíve ever been to Newark in my entire life other than passing through in the New Jersey Transit or to catch a flight at EWR. Funnily enough, Iím on the NJT train right now as Iím typing this and just passed through Newark not too long ago! Anyway I went and watched a drone video of Newark and I get what youíre saying now. With Downtown Newark being a quick subway ride from Manhattan, maybe Iíll make it over there one of these days.

Newark to me seems like a city that would have a lot of good street art and graffiti too. It does seem gritty, which I like. Iíll have to make it out one day once the weather gets nicer. Kind of crazy how I can live so close to a place my entire life yet Iíve never been.

Re: your comments on NYC I can definitely see why you would think that. Iím guessing you looked at videos of mostly Manhattan if not only Manhattan. Iíve never actually watched drone videos of NYC before but I would imagine drone videos of outer boroughs (Brooklyn, Queens, The Bronx) would be more relatable and a little less $$$$$ although the outer boroughs can get like that sometimes too. Maybe even one of Central Park or Upper Manhattan could be more relatable. I would imagine Manhattan drone videos to focus mostly on the skyline.
Maybe later Iíll look for some videos to post. Iím enjoying this thread so far and watching everyoneís videos. And now I want a drone!
You should get a drone!

Isn't it funny how there's always so much around us that we still have yet to explore! I haven't been to Boulder CO yet and I've lived here 24 years . It would be interesting to hear what you think of it if you do visit.

Newark doesn't seem to have many touristy / landmark places because NYC is saturated with them, but the city looks so different from CO cities. It'd be cool to tack it on to a NYC trip and spend a 2 days in NYC and 2 Newark seeing NJ and 1-2 days in a different borough. I'm sure there's a lot of interesting ones in the NYC metro, I'll have to check into them more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-06-2018, 05:02 PM
 
Location: South Padre Island, TX
2,452 posts, read 1,279,483 times
Reputation: 1386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
I didn't know which parts were pretty and which weren't, I was just looking at the medium sized cities Being in the plains doesn't necessarily mean a cities ugly though. Some of the upper Great Plains cities look nice. It's the buildings / urban environment and the natural setting that make a city look nice, and those 5 TX cities seemed to have neither. I've heard Austins in a cool, I just haven't looked at big / popular cities yet.
Just an assumption from my end, as you did take the time to lament the lack of trees in the cities you chose. As far as urban environment, all the cities chosen were either suburbs or small economic-focused cities, so they aren't going to perform well in this department. But of the three plains TX cities, Lubbock will probably offer the best urban environment, while Amarillo has access to varied topography (canyons, cliffs, etc).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2018, 09:16 AM
 
Location: Downtown & Brooklyn!
2,112 posts, read 1,306,053 times
Reputation: 1825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
You should get a drone!

Isn't it funny how there's always so much around us that we still have yet to explore! I haven't been to Boulder CO yet and I've lived here 24 years . It would be interesting to hear what you think of it if you do visit.

Newark doesn't seem to have many touristy / landmark places because NYC is saturated with them, but the city looks so different from CO cities. It'd be cool to tack it on to a NYC trip and spend a 2 days in NYC and 2 Newark seeing NJ and 1-2 days in a different borough. I'm sure there's a lot of interesting ones in the NYC metro, I'll have to check into them more.
Maybe someday I will save up for a drone. I think I remember hearing about there being strict drone laws in NYC, especially in Manhattan and Queens around the airports, but Iíll have to look more into it. Flying a drone around NYC looks exhilarating though and Iíd love to try it one day.

Anyway I just spent my morning train ride watching a few drone videos. Iíll be happy to share a few that I found interesting with you if youíre looking for non-typical videos that focus on things other than the cliche bridges and Manhattan skyline shots. The first 2 I have are complete opposites of each other. One in Coney Island, Brooklyn and the other is Central Park + Fifth Ave in the snow.




And then this last one I have is a more regular video, but itís in The Bronx. A part of the city that does not get seen as much as Manhattan/Brooklyn and probably comes off as more relatable. A regular neighborhood with regular (AKA not filthy rich) people.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2018, 02:03 PM
 
Location: Reno, NV
1,525 posts, read 706,394 times
Reputation: 1964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
I think it's good to look at small cities and suburbs too because it seems that for big cities, they just focus on the downtown skyline, which doesn't really give you a good idea of what the average citizen sees on a daily basis.
Yeah, when I want to get a sense of what a place is like, I'll pick some block kinda halfway between downtown and the outskirts of the city and Street-View it. It can also be illuminating to see how far out the suburbs go - layers and layers of inner- and then mid-ring and outer-ring suburbs vs. just a few towns dotted around the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2018, 07:04 AM
 
Location: Wonderland
44,737 posts, read 36,145,910 times
Reputation: 63355
Here's some great footage of Texas during bluebonnet season! Going on right now in fact.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unghgKuOFAk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2018, 08:36 PM
 
Location: Cbus
1,721 posts, read 1,401,284 times
Reputation: 2089
Most New Jersey natives avoid Newark (and truthfully most of the state's urban areas besides Hoboken or portions of Jersey City) like the plague so its interesting that you're keen on exploring it. I can understand how it could be an aesthetically interesting area if you enjoy industrial landscapes or gritty urban environments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2018, 09:56 PM
 
Location: Denver
3,192 posts, read 2,642,629 times
Reputation: 2226
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
Maybe someday I will save up for a drone. I think I remember hearing about there being strict drone laws in NYC, especially in Manhattan and Queens around the airports, but Iíll have to look more into it. Flying a drone around NYC looks exhilarating though and Iíd love to try it one day.

Anyway I just spent my morning train ride watching a few drone videos. Iíll be happy to share a few that I found interesting with you if youíre looking for non-typical videos that focus on things other than the cliche bridges and Manhattan skyline shots. The first 2 I have are complete opposites of each other. One in Coney Island, Brooklyn and the other is Central Park + Fifth Ave in the snow.




And then this last one I have is a more regular video, but itís in The Bronx. A part of the city that does not get seen as much as Manhattan/Brooklyn and probably comes off as more relatable. A regular neighborhood with regular (AKA not filthy rich) people.

Unfortunately, I can't get the video links to work .

I feel like it does require a fair amount of practice to balance weather, air traffic, flying, and videoing, but videos are so much more dynamic than photos are, so kudos to those who make these!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye614 View Post
Most New Jersey natives avoid Newark (and truthfully most of the state's urban areas besides Hoboken or portions of Jersey City) like the plague so its interesting that you're keen on exploring it. I can understand how it could be an aesthetically interesting area if you enjoy industrial landscapes or gritty urban environments.
The reason I want to see it is cause it's novel, it's just different looking than anything in CO. I could see if there was a high crime rate how you'd want to stay out of there, but it doesn't appear to be very dangerous. And it's old and industrial, yet not abandon, which is a little unique.

It probably does seem weird though because there is so much to see only a couple miles away. But just because there's tons to see there doesn't mean NJ doesn't have interesting things, and you can combine it with a NY trip, so you don't have to dedicate a whole trip to the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Here's some great footage of Texas during bluebonnet season! Going on right now in fact.
And who said more open plains can't be pretty . If only it would light up like that in eastern CO... It doesn't really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2018, 11:10 PM
 
Location: Aurora, CO
6,557 posts, read 10,264,564 times
Reputation: 9796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
They must like football though cause every one has the football stadium
The obsession with high school football in Texas is absolutely asinine. Getting voters to pass bonds to do things like hiring teachers and putting textbooks in classrooms is like pulling teeth, but they'll fall all over themselves if the bond is for a $20-$60 million football stadium.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2018, 11:23 PM
 
Location: Denver
3,192 posts, read 2,642,629 times
Reputation: 2226
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
The obsession with high school football in Texas is absolutely asinine. Getting voters to pass bonds to do things like hiring teachers and putting textbooks in classrooms is like pulling teeth, but they'll fall all over themselves if the bond is for a $20-$60 million football stadium.
That's what I've heard, it's not only college and the Cowboys, it's the HS level that's crazy. Seems like a little strange ordering of priorities...

It's kinda funny though, because football isn't something people really play outside of school. You'd thing people would be interested in sports they've actually played or are currently playing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2018, 07:38 AM
 
Location: Baltimore - Richmond
501 posts, read 330,536 times
Reputation: 808
Here is a nice little video of drone footage for Richmond, VA


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsmbjimRQzA


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUfxf4kTw9U

I wish that I could find better videos of the residential areas. The second video is OK but doesn't go into very many neighborhoods.

Last edited by mpier015; 04-11-2018 at 08:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top