U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2018, 10:29 PM

3,192 posts, read 2,645,001 times

Advertisements

I'm assuming there are other nerds on this forum that watch peoples drone footage videoing their city / suburb on YouTube. If you haven't it's kind of cool because it's a quick way to get a birds eye view of a place you've never been or probably won't visit soon. What are some things you've noticed that surprised you?

Here's some of the things that shocked me:

1. Alabama and Tennessee cities have a really good natural setting. It's cool how they fit between all the ridges full of trees. Also they were better up kept than I was expecting.
2. Great Plains cities have a pretty decent amount of still functional old buildings which make up a lot of the downtown. Outside of the downtown and it seems like everything only has one story and there's lots of small 1950's homes. They seem clean, but not focused on aesthetics.
3. 90% of homes in Florida have a pool
4. Massachusetts didn't seem as aged as I thought it would. It looks like people have a lot of money to keep everything really maintained. Newark was the city that fit my idea of what the east coast would look like. I really want to see it!
5. People did not move to Texas because the cities were pretty. Lots of parking lots, 60s - 70s box looking buildings, flat as a pancake, not much for trees

I think it's good to look at small cities and suburbs too because it seems that for big cities, they just focus on the downtown skyline, which doesn't really give you a good idea of what the average citizen sees on a daily basis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2018, 10:55 PM

2,452 posts, read 1,282,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
5. People did not move to Texas because the cities were pretty. Lots of parking lots, 60s - 70s box looking buildings, flat as a pancake, not much for trees.
Same old, same old.

Old 03-29-2018, 07:20 AM

5,718 posts, read 5,110,724 times
I don't know if Newark would be my number 1 pick of East Coast cities to visit...

Old 03-29-2018, 07:38 AM

1,004 posts, read 602,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
Same old, same old.
I guess the truth hurts when it doesn't fit Texan's narratives about its major cities The only Texan cities that are generally aesthetically pleasing are El Paso and Austin

Old 03-29-2018, 07:56 AM

3,770 posts, read 2,560,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
I'm assuming there are other nerds on this forum that watch peoples drone footage videoing their city / suburb on YouTube. If you haven't it's kind of cool because it's a quick way to get a birds eye view of a place you've never been or probably won't visit soon. What are some things you've noticed that surprised you?

Here's some of the things that shocked me:

1. Alabama and Tennessee cities have a really good natural setting. It's cool how they fit between all the ridges full of trees. Also they were better up kept than I was expecting.
2. Great Plains cities have a pretty decent amount of still functional old buildings which make up a lot of the downtown. Outside of the downtown and it seems like everything only has one story and there's lots of small 1950's homes. They seem clean, but not focused on aesthetics.
3. 90% of homes in Florida have a pool
4. Massachusetts didn't seem as aged as I thought it would. It looks like people have a lot of money to keep everything really maintained. Newark was the city that fit my idea of what the east coast would look like. I really want to see it!
5. People did not move to Texas because the cities were pretty. Lots of parking lots, 60s - 70s box looking buildings, flat as a pancake, not much for trees

I think it's good to look at small cities and suburbs too because it seems that for big cities, they just focus on the downtown skyline, which doesn't really give you a good idea of what the average citizen sees on a daily basis.
Yeah, the pools in Florida are over kill lol. When I lived there I had a pool, all my neighbors had pools, the neighborhood had a pool, the city had a pool, and the school had a pool. Meanwhile we'd always go to beach, or to the springs to actually go swimming.

Old 03-29-2018, 09:34 AM

4,231 posts, read 2,512,840 times
This is my suburb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiJYeQBBQC0

What do you make of that?

Old 03-29-2018, 09:41 AM

2,006 posts, read 1,020,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
This is my suburb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiJYeQBBQC0

What do you make of that?
Shorewood is beautiful, especially along Lake Drive. You should share that, if you can.

Old 03-29-2018, 09:53 AM

4,231 posts, read 2,512,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Shorewood is beautiful, especially along Lake Drive. You should share that, if you can.
I don't care for the existing Shorewood drone footage. Perhaps I should make one.

Old 03-29-2018, 09:55 AM

2,006 posts, read 1,020,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
I don't care for the existing Shorewood drone footage. Perhaps I should make one.
Not just Shorewood along Lake Drive, but parts of Milwaukee along Lake Drive, as well. The east side is stunning.

Old 03-29-2018, 11:03 AM

15,523 posts, read 17,740,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I don't know if Newark would be my number 1 pick of East Coast cities to visit...
Newark does have some interesting architecture, but nothing you can't find more and better examples of elsewhere in the NYC metro area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
I guess the truth hurts when it doesn't fit Texan's narratives about its major cities The only Texan cities that are generally aesthetically pleasing are El Paso and Austin
I wanted to look at some drone footage of Houston, but Youtube is spammed with flood footage of the city. I wanted to see what it looks like normally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.