U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 03:20 PM

29,947 posts, read 27,424,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Also the reputation for violent crime though New Orleans has many nice, safe areas while many other cities like Baltimore, Philadelphia, Detroit, Cleveland, Oakland etc actually feel like one massive slum.
Baltimore doesn't feel like "one massive slum" at all; downtown and the Inner Harbor are fine for the most part and neighborhoods like Fells Point and Mt. Vernon are very nice. But there are obviously serious issues in a broad swath of the city.

And when is the last time you visited Philadelphia????? Your characterization is so off here I don't know where to start. How does Center City, Old City, South Street, University City, etc. feel like a massive slum??? No reasonable person would ever come to that conclusion. I'm not quite as familiar with all the residential neighborhoods, but even parts of West Philadelphia, which doesn't always have the best reputation, don't feel like that. And certainly many SFH neighborhoods in the city feel like the furthest thing from a slum.

Last edited by Mutiny77; 04-04-2018 at 03:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2018, 04:41 PM

2,452 posts, read 1,285,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Tampa and St. Petersburg are actually doing very well, and the Bay Area is booming. Downtown St. Pete is on fire, and Tampa has become the undisputed corporate anchor for the Bay...

They're doing a lot of things right, it should definitely be removed from your untapped/missed potential list.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
The mention of Tampa raised an eyebrow here as well. With the exception of Jacksonville, all of the major Florida cities seem to be hitting their stride.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Yeah how in the world is Tampa, or even Houston for the matter missed potential? As for me, I agree with a lot already said.
Well, I clearly did say for various reasons. Meaning that the reasons I had for these various Gulf cities weren't the same amongst each other. What applies for Houston isn't the same was what applies for New Orleans.

In the case of Tampa, I felt that it could be tapped more as a center of luxury in the way Miami is. Even support a more prominent beach scene that makes waves across national TV. There also is a bit of work to do in the urbanity department, given the paucity of rail. But good to see that it's working on that potential with the WaterStreet project.

Old 04-07-2018, 03:53 PM

1,250 posts, read 641,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
New Orleans may count. The Sunbelt basically skips it over while it includes cities to its west like Houston and Dallas and to the east like Atlanta and Jacksonville. It's also not seen the New South growth that Atlanta, Charlotte, Raleigh, Nashville, etc have seen. New Orleans has a comfortable warm climate and a relatively low cost of living and many suburban areas that are actually above sea level and protected from hurricanes and floods. One reason may be that Louisiana is an overtaxed state and overregulated in some ways....perhaps not compared to the NOrtheast or West Coast but compared to the rest of the South. Also the reputation for violent crime though New Orleans has many nice, safe areas while many other cities like Baltimore, Philadelphia, Detroit, Cleveland, Oakland etc actually feel like one massive slum.
Have you been to the cities that you're saying are one massive slum?

Old 04-07-2018, 04:29 PM

558 posts, read 317,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
Have you been to the cities that you're saying are one massive slum?
Obviously he has not.

Old 04-07-2018, 05:18 PM

18,648 posts, read 27,087,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
Jacksonville and Houston are alike in this regard.
I was going to say the same but kind of pushed back because I don't know if the annexation reasons were similar. But other than that, I can definitely see the similarities a bit with the suburban areas calling the shots. I wonder what Houston would have been if it didn't annex all of that land and it was 96 sq miles which is loop 610) instead of 599 sq miles it is now. To an extent, Atlanta also has a similar story. I believe in the 1940s, it had a density of over 8,000 ppsm.

Old 04-07-2018, 08:20 PM

29,947 posts, read 27,424,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I was going to say the same but kind of pushed back because I don't know if the annexation reasons were similar. But other than that, I can definitely see the similarities a bit with the suburban areas calling the shots. I wonder what Houston would have been if it didn't annex all of that land and it was 96 sq miles which is loop 610) instead of 599 sq miles it is now. To an extent, Atlanta also has a similar story. I believe in the 1940s, it had a density of over 8,000 ppsm.
Atlanta is more of an anomaly comparatively speaking with average-to-small municipal limits compared to other Southern cities that extensively annexed or consolidated with their counties. The history of annexation in Atlanta has a different result than Houston and Jacksonville but it was similarly borne out of racially-motivated political reasons. Mayor Hartsfield successfully got Buckhead annexed into the city which gave White voters in the city a bigger advantage but Atlanta was still viewed as too Black of a city by many, including some civic leaders in Sandy Springs which resisted annexation efforts by the city shortly afterwards in explicitly racist terms, and another annexation attempt in the mid-70s was rebuffed by Sandy Springs. Fast forward some years later and you have unincorporated wealthy, majority White parts of Fulton County who resent the fact that their taxes help support the city of Atlanta and the southern part of the county, both of which were heavily Black but felt that they were being neglected. Fulton County Commission got its first Black majority in the late 80's, raises taxes a few years later, and basically all hell breaks loose. As long as Democrats were in control of the state legislature, new municipalities weren't allowed to be created but Republicans changed all that when they gained control of the state legislature in 2004. Sandy Springs leaders wasted no time and it was incorporated soon thereafter and since then, there have been other successful and unsuccessful attempts at incorporation in Fulton County, both by White and Black areas within the county on the stated basis of lacking county services and the desire for more local control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or