U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 03-29-2018, 10:28 PM
 
36 posts, read 18,130 times
Reputation: 22

Advertisements

Newbie here, I need some info and would appreciate some help. I was searching online for where interracial dating and marriage is most common, but it only shows states and cities, not whole regions. It would be interesting to see which region, the Midwest or Northeast, has more interracial dating and marriage. And where race relations are the best. I am curious about these regions specifically. Any stats or maps that show anything?
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-29-2018, 11:27 PM
 
292 posts, read 125,424 times
Reputation: 392
Where natural selection is accepted.....date who you attracted to, interested in, have common interests, a peer, a friend.

I mention this, because not every culture or religion supports natural selection. Most relationships are arranged in many parts of the world.

This is actually called "natural selection", picking your partner....do you know that "natural selection is a form of Darwinism"?

Natural selection produces healthier offspring. Healthier, happier relationships.

Don't follow me? Just look to all those " past royal family members of Europe, who had to essentially marry their cousins, produce children who were, ah, somewhat inbreed". Looks like being told who to have a relationship with worked out real well for the royal linage, no?

Ah, no.....and genetics show the ugly tale....

Anyway, If the relationship makes each person happy, and it happens to fall into the interracial category, great!

If not, forget the MSM and elite attempts at controlling you, and your every move... including who you "sleep with".

Date and marry who you want. Only way to be truly happy.

Forget the local flashy , fashionable attitudes of the current year +3....because in the future current year+10, some other new "relationship fashy trend" will suddenly be the fashion du jour.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2018, 11:50 PM
 
Location: Springfield, Ohio
12,193 posts, read 10,407,297 times
Reputation: 11208
The cities in both regions can be pretty segregated, but I think overall, interracial dating and marriages are more common in the Midwest than the Northeast, especially outside NYC. People tend to stay more within their own ethnic groups on the East Coast compared to the rest of the country, especially within the first and second generation immigrant communities (much more plentiful compared to the Midwest).
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2018, 05:52 AM
 
11,456 posts, read 6,568,506 times
Reputation: 6091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
The cities in both regions can be pretty segregated, but I think overall, interracial dating and marriages are more common in the Midwest than the Northeast, especially outside NYC. People tend to stay more within their own ethnic groups on the East Coast compared to the rest of the country, especially within the first and second generation immigrant communities (much more plentiful compared to the Midwest).
I don't think that's true at all, Asians and Latinos born to immigrant parents date out very often.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2018, 06:13 AM
 
36 posts, read 18,130 times
Reputation: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Asians and Latinos born to immigrant parents date out very often.


I believe it's more common out West, I hear the Western states have the highest amount of interracial dating and is the very integrated.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2018, 07:13 AM
 
56,500 posts, read 80,803,243 times
Reputation: 12480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
The cities in both regions can be pretty segregated, but I think overall, interracial dating and marriages are more common in the Midwest than the Northeast, especially outside NYC. People tend to stay more within their own ethnic groups on the East Coast compared to the rest of the country, especially within the first and second generation immigrant communities (much more plentiful compared to the Midwest).
I disagree with this, as you literally have small Interior Northeastern cities/towns where interracial couples are not uncommon. I can think of a few places off the top of my head in Upstate NY alone where it wouldn't be a surprise at all.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2018, 07:18 AM
 
56,500 posts, read 80,803,243 times
Reputation: 12480
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I don't think that's true at all, Asians and Latinos born to immigrant parents date out very often.
I know of a couple guys that are dating Vietnamese girls(one even has a child with one) and have seen Latinos/Hispanics date/marry non Latinos of different backgrounds in my area.


You can even have Native Americans date or marry people of a different background in the same area.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2018, 07:23 AM
 
Location: Atlanta metro (Cobb County)
1,558 posts, read 743,256 times
Reputation: 1668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
The cities in both regions can be pretty segregated, but I think overall, interracial dating and marriages are more common in the Midwest than the Northeast, especially outside NYC. People tend to stay more within their own ethnic groups on the East Coast compared to the rest of the country, especially within the first and second generation immigrant communities (much more plentiful compared to the Midwest).
Some smaller "rust belt" industrial cities seem to have a high rate of interracial coupling, based on 2010 census data. For example, in Sandusky, OH the share of residents who identify as BOTH white and black is 3.9% compared to a national average of 0.6%. This is from a sub-category of 'Two or More Races' on the Demographic Profile.

Not sure exactly why this is the case, but perhaps there is a smaller economic gap between whites and blacks compared to much of the country. People tend to find partners with whom they share much in common, even if they are of different racial/ethnic backgrounds.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2018, 07:49 AM
 
56,500 posts, read 80,803,243 times
Reputation: 12480
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
Some smaller "rust belt" industrial cities seem to have a high rate of interracial coupling, based on 2010 census data. For example, in Sandusky, OH the share of residents who identify as BOTH white and black is 3.9% compared to a national average of 0.6%. This is from a sub-category of 'Two or More Races' on the Demographic Profile.

Not sure exactly why this is the case, but perhaps there is a smaller economic gap between whites and blacks compared to much of the country. People tend to find partners with whom they share much in common, even if they are of different racial/ethnic backgrounds.
Also, a lot of smaller cities have 1 high school and in turn, the opportunity for interaction increases. So, the types of “spaces” people may interact in likely play a part in this, especially if these spaces have been available for a long time.

Also, in many of these types of cities, the “blackest” section of town may be more integrated/mixed/whatever word you want to use, than people think. So, that may be another aspect to consider.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2018, 08:12 AM
 
Location: Atlanta metro (Cobb County)
1,558 posts, read 743,256 times
Reputation: 1668
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Also, a lot of smaller cities have 1 high school and in turn, the opportunity for interaction increases. So, the types of “spaces” people may interact in likely play a part in this, especially if these spaces have been available for a long time.

Also, in many of these types of cities, the “blackest” section of town may be more integrated/mixed/whatever word you want to use, than people think. So, that may be another aspect to consider.
Yes, this makes sense. In smaller cities it can be easier to interact with a broader cross-section of the local community over the long term. I do think these statistics are interesting because they reveal that racial mixing isn't out of the norm in communities that are often stereotyped as more old fashioned and provincial.

Getting back to the original question, I'm not sure there is much of an overall difference between the Midwest and Northeast so much as between different types of communities in each region. Much of Ohio and Michigan are rather similar to western parts of New York and Pennsylvania as well.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top