U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-30-2018, 08:29 AM
 
29,943 posts, read 27,375,616 times
Reputation: 18490

Advertisements

Virginia Beach surpassed Norfolk in municipal population some time ago also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-30-2018, 08:46 AM
 
Location: Richmond, VA
562 posts, read 539,842 times
Reputation: 1061
Well...St. Paul, MN, and perhaps even Durham, NC, which was larger than Raleigh decades ago. And between the Northern VA/DC/Baltimore area, relatively nearby Richmond is often forgotten or flying under the radar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2018, 09:04 AM
 
Location: East Tennessee and Atlanta
3,667 posts, read 8,773,741 times
Reputation: 2503
I think if you look at it regionally, I think some good examples of cities that are geographically extremely close to other bigger cities, but are not as large or economically impactful and definitely overshadowed by that bigger city are:

Louisville, KY overshadowed by Indianapolis, IN AND Cincinnati, OH
Dayton, OH by Cincinnati, OH
Birmingham, AL by Atlanta, GA
Milwaukee, WI by Chicago, IL
San Diego, CA by Los Angeles, CA
Tucson, AZ by Phoenix, AZ
Philadelphia, PA by New York City, NY

Cities dominated by larger primary cities but part of the metro region and benefit greatly from it:
St Paul, MN overshadowed by Minneapolis, MN
Fort Worth, TX by Dallas, TX
San Jose, CA by San Francisco, CA
Riverside, CA by Los Angeles, CA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2018, 10:02 AM
 
3,063 posts, read 1,805,181 times
Reputation: 1158
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
I think if you look at it regionally, I think some good examples of cities that are geographically extremely close to other bigger cities, but are not as large or economically impactful and definitely overshadowed by that bigger city are:

Louisville, KY overshadowed by Indianapolis, IN AND Cincinnati, OH
Dayton, OH by Cincinnati, OH
Birmingham, AL by Atlanta, GA
Milwaukee, WI by Chicago, IL
San Diego, CA by Los Angeles, CA
Tucson, AZ by Phoenix, AZ
Philadelphia, PA by New York City, NY

Cities dominated by larger primary cities but part of the metro region and benefit greatly from it:
St Paul, MN overshadowed by Minneapolis, MN
Fort Worth, TX by Dallas, TX
San Jose, CA by San Francisco, CA
Riverside, CA by Los Angeles, CA
San Jose is no longer overshadowed by its smaller city to the north
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2018, 10:04 AM
 
3,063 posts, read 1,805,181 times
Reputation: 1158
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
San Jose, CA (Even though its bigger than San Francisco, people still overlook it).
No longer. San Jose has its own standing outright
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2018, 10:57 AM
 
2,006 posts, read 1,019,562 times
Reputation: 2672
Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
San Jose is no longer overshadowed by its smaller city to the north
Actually, I think it is. Maybe not in California, but elsewhere, it still is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2018, 11:04 AM
 
Location: Somewhere extremely awesome
3,029 posts, read 2,463,780 times
Reputation: 2318
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveStavroz View Post
In this thread we discuss the unsung hero cities who have always been in the shadow of their close big city.
These are the ones I can think of at the top of my head :
Tulsa,OK
Portland,OR
Fort Worth, TX
Tucson,AZ
Milwaukee,WS

Do you think they ever have a chance of surpassing their big brother cities?
Has there ever been a case whereby a small city surpassed the big city near it?.
Seattle and Portland are probably too far away to really be within each other's shadow. Same with Birmingham and Atlanta.

Fort Worth is probably too close to Dallas to truly separate from the shadow.

The interesting distances in my opinion are about 60-120 miles apart - close enough that there can be commuting overlap, but far enough away that the commuting overlap would be inconvenient.

One city that I think would definitely fit this criteria that's rarely talked about is Sacramento.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2018, 11:08 AM
Status: "Summer!" (set 19 days ago)
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
87,003 posts, read 102,592,596 times
Reputation: 33059
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveStavroz View Post
In this thread we discuss the unsung hero cities who have always been in the shadow of their close big city.
These are the ones I can think of at the top of my head :
Tulsa,OK
Portland,OR
Fort Worth, TX
Tucson,AZ
Milwaukee,WS

Do you think they ever have a chance of surpassing their big brother cities?
Has there ever been a case whereby a small city surpassed the big city near it?.
Colorado Springs, CO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2018, 11:17 AM
 
Location: East Tennessee and Atlanta
3,667 posts, read 8,773,741 times
Reputation: 2503
Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
San Jose is no longer overshadowed by its smaller city to the north
eh, well San Jose definitely is an economic powerhouse and a major city and metropolis in its own right, agreed.

But not many people would ever put San Jose in the same category as San Francisco in terms of tourism, culture, global status, and outright recognition. Comparing apples and oranges, really, I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2018, 11:18 AM
 
Location: New York City
5,716 posts, read 5,108,901 times
Reputation: 2826
I would say the biggest example would be Philadelphia to New York or Baltimore to DC.

Philadelphia is a huge city and has its own name, but will always be in NYC's shadow.

Baltimore and DC are cities going in opposite directions, unfortunate for Baltimore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top