Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2011, 06:28 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,573,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
The Dallas vs. Fort Worth rivarly is rearing its ugly head again due to Fort Worth & Tarrant county population explosion. To add to the rivary the Cowboys and Rangers play in the Fort Worth suburb of Arlington. Population trends in the DFW region point towards Fort Worth and Tarrant County Region.

Arlington is a city and most certainly not a suburb of ft. Worth
Arlington, Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 06:30 PM

84 posts, read 157,203 times
It's mostly based on the football teams, but Eugene and Corvallis.

Old 08-01-2011, 02:06 PM

68 posts, read 149,641 times
Concerning New York State...
It's difficult for people who've never lived in the state to realize the enormous difference between NYC and the rest of the state. I lived in Rochester and was forever explaining to people that "No, I don't go to New York City often, it's a six and a half hour drive down through pennsylvania to get there". I mean not only does NYC feel NOTHING like the rest of the state (in terms of cityscape, culture, politics, climate, etc.) geographically it's just barely in New York at all; look at a map and you'll see what i mean. NYC is all the way down at the very bottom right corner of the state itself, situated about a collection of islands that aren't even on the US mainland. I love New York City, it's just not really part of New York State, per say.

I think the real rivalry in New York is between upstate and western ny cities. Specifically: Buffalo, Rochester and maybe Syracuse (generally Syracuse is left out of the discussion, to the consternation of many people in that area)

Buffalonians usually look down on Rochester as a kind of insignificant little brother somewhere to the west, priding themselves on their grand industrial history and their diminishing, but still present, role as the largest city in NYS outside of NYC. They also pride themselves on the fact that they have the bills and the sabres, while the only major league sports rochester has to offer are in Lacrosse. Buffalo just has more of a reputation as a city, something that folks from Rochester take offense at from time to time.

Rochesterians seem to be pretty smug about their economy and population statistics; if you ever visit a Buffalo vs. Rochester forum you'll see frequent references by rochester people to the fact that Rochester is now the 2nd largest economy in NYS behind new york city. People from Rochester also view Buffalo as dead, with Buffalo losing around 10-15% of their population every census and Rochester recently posting some growth (albeit a somewhat insubstantial 1.5%-a-year growth) the general view is that in another ten years or so Rochester will eclipse Buffalo in population.

Overall, Buffalo is viewed as more "blue-collar" while Rochester is viewed as more "white collar". The've both got a little over 1,000,000 people in the metro area and both have quite a bit to offer for how small they are compared to other US cities like Charlotte or Seattle.

Now there's an actual rivalry, as opposed to this bs "New York city versus upstate NY" thing that any New Yorker knows is practically nonexistent. There might be a little resentment in the rest of the state for constantly being lumped in with NYC (as if Syracuse residents reguarly make the commute on down to lower manhattan 5 days a week), but generally people within the state view the city and the rest of the state as different entities. It's not really a rivalry.

Old 08-01-2011, 10:38 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,875,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastOfWest View Post
Concerning New York State...
It's difficult for people who've never lived in the state to realize the enormous difference between NYC and the rest of the state.
It's interesting, more than one person from NY state (a friend from Ithaca and one from Buffalo) has told me before that they think New Jersey is the "real NY state." I was so confused at first, but apparently they were referring to the fact that NJ has much more in common with NYC than the rest of New York (the state) does. I'm not sure if I buy it, but it's an interesting perspective to say the least.

Old 08-01-2011, 11:03 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,870,451 times
The first states that come to mind are:

Ohio
California
Texas

Also:

New York
Maryland
Florida
Pennsylvania
Missouri

Old 08-02-2011, 07:00 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,323,842 times
Louisiana has one of the most intense rivalries between Baton rouge and NOLa.

Old 08-02-2011, 07:04 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Outside of hockey I don't think PA has much of a rivalry. In a way I mostly always pull for Pittsburgh. I personally feel more rivalry with other NE cities but also more connection than I personally feel to Pittsburgh if that makes any sense.

Old 08-02-2011, 11:01 AM

800 posts, read 780,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyUK View Post
Although i don't know anyone from cleveland, i would expect this to be the case (that they don't care)... there is certainly nothing from our end. I always think of it as "that city near detroit and the great lakes". People outside the area may forget just how far apart in distance and culture these two cities are from one another. Nothing they do really intersects so its hard for any rivalry to develop. Plus Cincinnati isn't a pure ohio town as a large part of it is in KY. The nati has probably more rivalry with Louisville, a city closer with more in common, but not much there either on any rivalry front, except UC vs. Louisville...

this is kind of an interesting ESPN article on the dynamic

ESPN - Cincy looks for virtue amid the Bengals' vices - Columnist

I like Dougherty but he is way off base saying we're a Southern city, we're a southern(direction not culture) Midwestern city, I feel much more at home in other southern Midwestern cities like St. Louis and Indianapolis than any city I've spent time in the South, like Charleston or Atlanta. The funny thing is that many deep South Southerners don't even consider KY a Southern state and I agree with them, its Appalachian not Southern, though its a murky distinction between the two. It's Cincinnati's Appalachian, not Southern influence that makes it different. Ulysses S. Grant was from Cincinnati for heavens sakes.

However, Cincinnati has a ton of great rivalries, the Ohio Side vs. the Kentucky side being one, St.X vs Elder, Anderson vs. Turpin etc.

The best rivalry in a "state" takes place in Scotland between my Glasgow Rangers and Glasgow Celtic, I don't think there's a rivalry in the US that could come even close to comparing how nasty this rivalry is.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:24 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,514,622 times
Charlotte v Raleigh

Old 08-04-2011, 09:36 AM

2,363 posts, read 5,200,881 times
Orlando Vs Miami
Miami Vs Tampa
Tampa Vs St. Pete

Central Florida Vs South Florida
Gulf Coast Vs South Florida.

Oh How Much Better And Bigger Our Cities Could Be In Florida If They Worked Together!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.