Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 08:13 PM

904 posts, read 2,872,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
8 million in the city. 90% of the rest of the state probably lives in Westchester, Rockland, Orange, Nassau, Suffolk, Putnam, and Dutchess Counties.
New York census statistical areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you scroll down the page, you'll find the figures. The NYC metro in New York State (which includes those areas and the city) has about 13 million people. The rest of the state has just over 6 million. Definitely not 90%.

The state would have a godawful economy without the NYC region. Doubtless, it would be in serious trouble. But it would still be one of the more populous states in the union.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2008, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYLE1 View Post
New York would be better off as a city-state like Washington D.C.

New York State would nothing without NYC and it's surrounding Westchester and Long Island.
In spite of my previous post, I would like to say that I do somewhat agree with this. I wouldn't go so far as to say it would "have nothing," but it would be very, very, very troubled.

Old 03-26-2008, 08:21 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,573,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
My ex's family is from upstate NY, near Rochester. My former FIL always thought NY w/o NYC could be quite self sustaining. And there is something to being from New York, the state. My ex was a New Yorker, through and through.
Katiana, my people on both sides of the family immigrated to Rochester from their old countries in the late 19th century, and I spent the better part of my childhood in that city. I'm here to tell you your former FIL was absolutely right! We liked sharing a state with NYC, but we thought we were pretty fine even if NYC would've picked up and moved to FL!

Kyle and FutureCop, how much do you know about NYS?

Old 03-26-2008, 08:26 PM

655 posts, read 2,182,517 times
New York State definitely is dependent on the income New York City brings in. The Northern areas would be left in a bad way if New York City's metro area were to leave the state.

Old 03-26-2008, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neonwattagelimit View Post
New York census statistical areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you scroll down the page, you'll find the figures. The NYC metro in New York State (which includes those areas and the city) has about 13 million people. The rest of the state has just over 6 million. Definitely not 90%.

The state would have a godawful economy without the NYC region. Doubtless, it would be in serious trouble. But it would still be one of the more populous states in the union.
I'm surprised at how broadly they've defined the NYC MSA. The 13M takes in a lot of area that has been traditionally considered Upstate, e.g., Kingston, Newburgh, Poughkeepsie.

Old 03-26-2008, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gv0928 View Post
New York State definitely is dependent on the income New York City brings in. The Northern areas would be left in a bad way if New York City's metro area were to leave the state.
How would it be much different than other states with no huge metro in it (like VT, ME, DE)? Those states aren't in a bad way.

Old 03-26-2008, 08:58 PM

144 posts, read 552,298 times
I agree with the KC vs. STL rivalry. We also have a bordertown rivalry with Kansas (MU vs. KU) That gets pretty heated.

Old 03-26-2008, 11:05 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
This is a fun thread!

In Tennessee it's Memphis vs. Nashville.

And Knoxville vs. Chattanooga.

In my native Florida it was always Tampa Bay vs. Miami. And within Tampa Bay, it has always been Tampa vs. Saint Petersburg.

Old 03-27-2008, 12:00 AM

3,070 posts, read 11,918,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CortlandGirl79 View Post
One thing i notice about Ohio is how people in Columbus think that the state revolves around them. They act like they are the only city in this state that counts or is worth anything. Thankfully, we up here in the NE corner of the state know better..........well, at least some of us do! haha!
In Ohio I dont think there is that much of a rivalry between the cities, but there is some rivalry. It used to be just Cleveland vs. Cincinnati but recently Columbus has joined the fight because its larger now.

One of the reasons Ohio cities fight is because of the size thing. Columbus is the largest city, but only because it takes up so much area. Cleveland has the largest metro area but Cincinnati is right behind it. Cleveland/Akron is the largest CSA by far, but people in Cincinnati always argue that Dayton should be added in their CSA, which would make it slightly larger than Cleveland/Akron. Because of this there is no definite largest city in Ohio, so people have to fight over which is the dominating and most important city. And of course theres always the North, South thing and then with the sports.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
How would it be much different than other states with no huge metro in it (like VT, ME, DE)? Those states aren't in a bad way.
I think it would be more like a mini-Ohio than those states. Upstate NY was once an industrial powerhouse and is now in steep decline. Those states do not have any cities/metros nearly as large as Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse or Albany. They never had the industrial base Upstate NY had and they have not fallen as far, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.